Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

overseas enlistments

keitha

Does anyone know if records were kept on the number of foreign recruits ie Americans, into the British Army prior to them entering he war fully ?

Keith

Keith

If you have a name to post it may help to answer your question.Otherwise it may mean a lot of grind for you on the National Archives website pushing various phrases through the Catalogue search engine in the hope of finding such a list.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Keith. I do not know if this is any help too you, there is a book by "Ronald G Haycock" "THE AMERICAN LEGION IN THE CEF 1914-1918" "A STUDY IN FAILURE" the title speaks for itself! as far as I remember there were three so called American Bn in the CEF (perhaps more) the 211st Bn Alberta Americans (8th Bn CRT) 212 Bn Winnepeg Americans (Absorbed 97th Bn) and Nova Scotia Americans (Absorbed 97th Bn) but I am sure that it would not have been just Americans that joined these units but! saying that, there were a lot of Americans volunteered for the CEF. But I think I would have to agree with "Sotonmate" if you do not have any names it would be a hard troll through the archives.

Cheers Rob.

Keith

If you have a name to post it may help to answer your question.Otherwise it may mean a lot of grind for you on the National Archives website pushing various phrases through the Catalogue search engine in the hope of finding such a list.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

HI Sotonmate, I have just received the service papers for an officer whose M.C. group I recently purchased only to find that he gives his place of birth and education as in the USA. He enlisted as a Private and was then commisioned within the Kings Liverpool Regiment. This was just a general enquiry as I am looking for as much detail as I can on the man.

Keith

Keith. I do not know if this is any help too you, there is a book by "Ronald G Haycock" "THE AMERICAN LEGION IN THE CEF 1914-1918" "A STUDY IN FAILURE" the title speaks for itself! as far as I remember there were three so called American Bn in the CEF (perhaps more) the 211st Bn Alberta Americans (8th Bn CRT) 212 Bn Winnepeg Americans (Absorbed 97th Bn) and Nova Scotia Americans (Absorbed 97th Bn) but I am sure that it would not have been just Americans that joined these units but! saying that, there were a lot of Americans volunteered for the CEF. But I think I would have to agree with "Sotonmate" if you do not have any names it would be a hard troll through the archives.

Cheers Rob.

Rob, many thanks, as you can see from the reply that I sent to Sotonmate, I do have his papers but would stil like to find out more.

Keith

Keith.

Sorry about that, I didnt give it a thought you were researching an individual soldier, I thought you were after more of American Volunteers in general,

Cheers Rob.

Keith.

Sorry about that, I didnt give it a thought you were researching an individual soldier, I thought you were after more of American Volunteers in general,

Cheers Rob.

Rob, I was looking for general info, but thought that there may have been a central register or some such thing where they would have to register.

Keith

Keith.

You know its a funny old world. while I was doing some looking in regards to your post, I came across a namesake of mine, well nearly. BULLOCK (mine being CH) he was the original Commanding Officer of the 237th Nova Scotia American befor they were disbanded. He was Presbeterian Clergyman, Rev. Charles Seymour Bulloch. Born Cold Spring, New York. 13th Feb 1867 on his attestation papers he states in previous army experience as Member of the United States Volunteer Army in the Spanish Americam War. also on the papers it says he was posted to the 97th Overseas Battalion.

Cheers Rob.