The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver War badge Roll of Individuals entitled...

jaynerutland

Hello

as a novice when it comes to interpreting the military records of my ancestors could anyone enlighten me as to what this entry means. Under cause of discharge and para of KR I have the entry Para.2 (B) (i) sickness. I note from others on the page that those discharged on the grounds of sickness have either para 2 (B) (i) or para 2 (d). Was there any real difference? What form of sickness would exempt soldiers from further service?

all help appreciated

jayne

Hi Jayne,

Can't quite work out which sub-paras you're really interested in but all will be revealed with a visit HERE on the main website

Kind Regards,

SMJ

Hello

as a novice when it comes to interpreting the military records of my ancestors could anyone enlighten me as to what this entry means. Under cause of discharge and para of KR I have the entry Para.2 (B) (i) sickness. I note from others on the page that those discharged on the grounds of sickness have either para 2 (B) (i) or para 2 (d). Was there any real difference? What form of sickness would exempt soldiers from further service?

all help appreciated

jayne

Hi Jane,

as you have found out, it is a bit confusing understanding these abbreviations. Not helped by those DAMN smilies popping up when you dont want them. For those reading this, if you try to put in what the Silver War Badge actually says, instead of the letter "b" , up comes a *** smiley. There were at least 4 changes to the SWB regulations. So Jane, what year was the Army Order your badge was issued under? The letter "a" or "b" or "d" did not refer to a level of sickness nor a type of sickness.

2 b i ( I cant put the brackets around, or that *** smiley appears) means almost certainly "a soldier who was active overseas". Rather than one who never left England.

Hope this helps Mike Jones