Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zerbst P.O.W. Camp

stiletto_33853

Does anyone have any information on this camp, location (presumably in or around Berlin), dates used from etc., etc. Following up one of the RB men who died in the Auxiliary Hospital there, Barracks Block II, on the 7/7/18 and is buried in the Berlin South-Western Cemetery.

Andy

I have four documents that deal with Zerbst to some degree.

"Die Kriegsgefangenen in Deutschland" By Prof Dr Backhaus (1915). 250 photographs with english captions, no text.

"Die Kriegsgefangenenlager im Bezirk des IV Armeekorps" (1916). German text but with some photographs of Zerbst.

"Miscellaneous No 19 (1915) Further Correspondence with the United States Ambassador respecting the Treatment of British Prisoners of War and Interned Civilians in Germany; Cd 8108". Contains a report of a visit to the camp by Mr Jackson for the US Ambassador. States that the camp was opened in November 1914 and at the time of writing (July 1915) was capable of housing 15 000. There were however some 12-13000 prisoners on the camp books of which 70 British were in the camp and a few were out working. The camp was quarantined over part of the winter due to Typhus.

WO161/97 MO reports p60-64. Interview with Major Long RAMC. Was at Zerbst during the Typhus outbreak.

Doug

"Kriegsgefangene volker" by Wilhelm Doegen indicates that on the 10th Oct 1918, Zerbst had the following prisoners on its books.

French Officers 1

French men 3225

Russian Officers 3

Russian men 7240

Belgian men 180

British men 1263

Rumanian men 1

Italian officers 3

Italian men 964

American men 1

Civilains 17

Doug

Superb stuff Friedhelm and Doug, Much appreciated so many thanks indeed. Scmidt and Pfeil were the registrars at the camp hospital who signed the certificate of death.

Andy

• 1 year later...

Just received confirmation that my Great Uncle, a KRRC Sargeant, was sent to Zerbst on 14th May 1918 after being wounded and captured on 21st March 1918 near St Quentin. We know the history of him being captured as he told us but did not know which camp. Says he was sent there from St Du Nord, probably a hospital, and I am now going to try and research that.

Mark

• 7 years later...

My great uncle was wounded and captured on the same day as Mark JPs great uncle but at Frieres and taken to La Capelle and then to Zerbst. I would love to hear what you found out about his time in the camp as it would surely have been a parallel for my great uncle. You can respond offline if you wish to john@stratadata.co.uk. Many thanks.