Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The London Regiment

looptest

I want to find out which battalion oof the London Regiment my grandfather served in. It will be either the 1/7 or the 2/7. these battalions served in different theatres of war at any one time. If I don't know the battalion my research will be possibly inaccurate. I strongly suspect that it's the 1/7, but I'm not absolutely sure.

If not on the card it will be on the roll, but it is usually on the card with the Londons.

If not on the card it will be on the roll, but it is usually on the card with the Londons.

#Thanks for your suggestion but unfortunately the 2/7 and the 1/7 amalgemated in Jan. 18 to become the 7th. Batt. it is this battalion that is on the medal card. What I really want to know is his battalion prior to the amalgemation.Is it possible that service records exist that will indicate the battalion he served in between 1916 and 1918?

Most of the London Regiment MICs only give the battalion as far as 7th, 8th, 9th etc. They don't seem to go down to the 1/7th, 2/7th, 1/8th etc. level.

The rolls also don't seem to be much help in this regard as they give the same level of detail as the MICs, but if you have an battalion where 1/? was in France and 2/? was in Egypt then you should be able to tell by the theatre number on the roll for those with post 1916 service.

Another method might be checking casualties to the battalion with service numbers around your man's. If he's slap in the middle of a block who all served in 1/? then there is a good probability he did too, although you're never going to be able to be 100% sure with this and it gets a bit more random the later in the war you go.

Good luck,

Matthew

Most of the London Regiment MICs only give the battalion as far as 7th, 8th, 9th etc. They don't seem to go down to the 1/7th, 2/7th, 1/8th etc. level.

The rolls also don't seem to be much help in this regard as they give the same level of detail as the MICs, but if you have an battalion where 1/? was in France and 2/? was in Egypt then you should be able to tell by the theatre number on the roll for those with post 1916 service.

Another method might be checking casualties to the battalion with service numbers around your man's. If he's slap in the middle of a block who all served in 1/? then there is a good probability he did too, although you're never going to be able to be 100% sure with this and it gets a bit more random the later in the war you go.

Good luck,

Matthew

Thanks Matthew, unfortunately both battalions served in Ypres during the war and both remained in the western front. I remember as a child asking my grandfather where he served - "Ypres" - and how long a battle lasted - "between three hours and three days". Unfortunately thats all I can remember. Men of that generation didn't talk much about the war. Having won the MM for bravery in the field he must have had the most horrendous experiences. Alan C

Thanks Matthew, unfortunately both battalions served in Ypres during the war and both remained in the western front. I remember as a child asking my grandfather where he served - "Ypres" - and how long a battle lasted - "between three hours and three days". Unfortunately thats all I can remember. Men of that generation didn't talk much about the war. Having won the MM for bravery in the field he must have had the most horrendous experiences. Alan C

Alan; it is still worth your while obtaining a copy of his BWM/Victory roll entry, may well havz the battalion numbers against the period(s) he served overseas; the London regt is unique in recording these details; his army numbers may give you a clue; MM winners are listed in the Histry and there might be another ref to him in the text; I have a copy if you want a look up; suggest you check his MM card; his MM will state which battn he was in when he won it

Chris

Alan; it is still worth your while obtaining a copy of his BWM/Victory roll entry, may well havz the battalion numbers against the period(s) he served overseas; the London regt is unique in recording these details; his army numbers may give you a clue; MM winners are listed in the Histry and there might be another ref to him in the text; I have a copy if you want a look up; suggest you check his MM card; his MM will state which battn he was in when he won it

Chris

Thanks Chris, where do I get details of the BWM/Victory roll? and what is it? And what is the MM card and how do I access it?

The MM card is accessed via the link that Coldstreamer posted - note the WO372/23 reference. That refers to awards of the Mm or DCM.

His campaign medals will be list on a different card.

This one:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=5 (in Series WO372/5)

The VM/BWM Roll is a ledger book held at the National Archive. You will need to visit or get someone to look the entry up. As Chris mentions the London Regiment medal rolls will also give the exact dates that he served overseas, and with which units. That information doesn't appear on other Regiments medal rolls. The refereences next to the medal entries on the Campaign medals card can be converted into a WO329/xxxx reference which will pertain to one individual ledger book. This conversion also needs to be done at the NA...

Steve.

The MM card is accessed via the link that Coldstreamer posted - note the WO372/23 reference. That refers to awards of the Mm or DCM.

His campaign medals will be list on a different card.

This one:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=5 (in Series WO372/5)

The VM/BWM Roll is a ledger book held at the National Archive. You will need to visit or get someone to look the entry up. As Chris mentions the London Regiment medal rolls will also give the exact dates that he served overseas, and with which units. That information doesn't appear on other Regiments medal rolls. The refereences next to the medal entries on the Campaign medals card can be converted into a WO329/xxxx reference which will pertain to one individual ledger book. This conversion also needs to be done at the NA...

Steve.

Thanks for the help Steve, following Coldstreamer advice I determined he served in the 1/7 Battalion.