Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

the "Mandingo"

ackimzey

I am transcribing a small pocket notebook which belonged to my great uncle, Parvin Carter, M.D., 1st Lieut., US Army. In it he recounts his enlistment, training and voyage to England. He writes about the ship on which he came to England, identifying it as the Mandingo. Below is an excerpt from the notebook. I'm wondering if anyone can confirm the accuracy of the information. I would appreciate any additional information.

Thanks,

Ann

July 31, 1918 (Wednesday)

We left Port of Embarkation from Brooklyn, N.Y. Anchor Line #29 Medditerranian [sic] Service on board the “Mandingo”, a ship with some history attached to it, in that is was a British ship and is yet but was captured by Germans in 1916 near So. America & taken to Newport News, Va. & while there in harbor U.S. captured same when we declared war on the Huns, and since that time has made many trips across the Atlantic but not as a convoy for American troops. This is the first trip, on maiden voyage, as far as American troops are concerned. And the Germans are very, very anxious to capture or sink it.

GDay, thank you so much, the references are very helpful..even a picture!

Sue, thank you for the additional website. And I agree 100%, this is a fantastic forum. Last year I transcribed the diary of another great uncle, Grover Carter (my avatar) who was Parvin's younger brother. Sadly, Grover did not survive the war. They were both doctors but Grover enlisted in 1917, was attached to the BEF and served near the front. Parvin served at a U.S. Army hospital just outside of Paris. The forum members were so helpful with Grover's diary transcription. Now I'm working on one of two small notebooks that belonged to Parvin.

Ann