Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

115 Squadron

Ian C

Hi

I am researching an airman, Albert Timbrell, from 115 Sq for a work colleague.

A book I have seen states that from 01/11/18 the squadron was based at St. Inglevert. Now the only St. Inglevert I can find is near Calais, however, Albert and 9 of his colleagues, killed I believe in an accident on 08/11/18, are all buried at Charmes, south of Nancy. Does anyone have a map etc of our airfields in France etc?

Thanks

Ian C

In Wg Cmdr C G Jefford MBE's book RAF Sqns St. Inglevert is identified as airdrome 21: on map 11 almost half way between Boulogne and Calais. The same book shows that the squadron was equipped with the Handley Page 0/400 and Nancy was easily within range of those aircraft. Does the RAF Museum have a casualty card for him?

Hi Per Ardua

Thanks for the info, that confirms what I thought. The strange thing is, I don't think that any of the ten members of 115 killed on 08/11/18 were aircrew, Alberts entry on CWGC gives his rank as Private 2nd Class and the others ranged from a Sgt to AM III. The woman I am doing this for says that family legend has it that Albert was killed when a bomb went off while the planes were being loaded, Albert and 3 of his colleagues are buried in the same grave.

Another book I have seen at the library, (I really must note the title and author), which is an attempt at a "Soldiers Died" for the RFC/RAF, states that all ten died from a non flying related accident, so if that was the case, how come the burials so far away from base?

Regards

Ian C

Ian

According to Airmen Died in the Great War, 10 ground crew from No 115 Sqn were killed in an accidental bomb explosion at Roville on 8 November 1918. No 115 Sqn was based at Roville-aux-Chênes, which is down in the Independent Force territory around Nancy, from 29 August to 1 November 1918, when they moved to St-Inglevert. Perhaps some of the unit's bombs were still at the old base after it moved to St-Inglevert, and the accident occurred while they were being moved.

Regards

Gareth

There is not a rigid distinction between aircrew and ground crew in WWI and also the RAF were poor at naming trades. As I recall private was used for any non mechanical trade from merger. For example they seem to have labelled many who dealt with kite balloons, just as labourers, and so his rank is not a good indicator of what he was doing. Moves take a lot of man power! They may still have been flying things across. The 0/400 could carry the highest bombload of the war: 748kg (1,650lb), he might just have been in the blast radius working on something else.

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/exhibit...e-0100-0400.cfm

Have you found his RAF service papers? They should be in AIR 79/1462.

• 12 years later...

Hi, I know this is a very old conversation but I hope this still reaches you.  I am in Australia so sometimes research is difficult from here. My father Edward Thomas Ward b 1900 enlisted in April 1918 and joined Sq 115 as a carpenter. He lost 2 fingers at some stage and I suspect he was injured when these bombs exploded at St Inglevert - (Roville?) on Nov 8 1918.  I have checked Trevor Henshaw's book 'The Sky Their Battlefield' first edition but no mention of him.The definition of 'Casualty' by the author is "Injury or death when in conflict with the enemy" so this accident isn't mentioned.  I believe there is some reference in the second edition of this book .but this is not available in any library in Australia.  I really want to solve this last riddle of my father's life, hope you can help.  Sue C

Hi Sue, In my expanded The Sky Their Battlefield II I added an Accidents Addendum, with over 4,500 additional names/events.  The explosion at 115 Sqn that day is noted - it looked very severe: 115Sqn - accidental bomb explosion ROVILLE (2AM W Robson Kld; 3AM E Linley Kld; 3AM FR Kent Kld; 3AM HJM Williams Kld; 3AM WA Hansen Kld; 3AM WRC Johnson Kld; Cpl D Turnbull Kld; Cpl JS Lear Kld; Pte2 AR Timbrell Kld; Pte2 D Logan Kld)

I'd be happy to try and search out more for you on this next time I'm at Kew, with an eye for your father. I appear not to have found him so far...

All the Best.

Trevor