Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Suffolk Royal Garrison Artillery (Militia)

Kenneth Wheeler

Hi

My great-grandfather, James Campbell, was a Sergeant Major in this unit in 1908. Any background information about the unit would be appreciated. He had previously been an NCO serving as a regular in the Royal Artillery. I would like to know how the RA ties up with the Suffolk Royal Garrison Artillery (Militia) - presumably there was some connection?

Thanks

Jaeger

You need to try and get hold of a copy of "The Militia Artillery 1852-1909 " by Norman Lichfield.

The corps assumed the title 3rd Brigade,Eastern Division,Royal Artilllery in 1882 and became The Suffolk Artillery ( Eastern Division R.A.) in1889

In 1902 it became "The Suffolk R.G.A. (M) and transfered to the Special Reserve R.F.A. in 1908 before disbandment in 1909

Please let me know if you cannot get hold of a copy of the book and I will scan and E mail you copies of the relevant pages.

P.B.

I should have said that senior N.C.O.s in the Royal Artillery ( ie in the Regular Army ) would have been appointed to the staff of the Militia,as also they would have been appointed as Permanent Staff Instuctors to the Volunteers and later the Territorials.

P.B.

I should have said that senior N.C.O.s in the Royal Artillery ( ie in the Regular Army ) would have been appointed to the staff of the Militia,as also they would have been appointed as Permanent Staff Instuctors to the Volunteers and later the Territorials.

P.B.

Thanks for that, P.B.

Beginning to get a much clearer picture of my great-grandfather's military career.

Key dates:

1891 Corporal, Royal Artillery/Crownhill Fort, Plymouth

1901 QM Sgt. Major, Royal Artillery/Fife Barracks - possibly RGA Militia? Evidence suggests this.

1908 Sgt. Major, Suffolk RGA Militia

1911 QM & Hon Lt. 6th Cyclist Battalion (Territorial) Suffolk Regt.

1917 QM & Hon. Capt. ditto

1921 Retired from army service aged 55, retained his rank.

Perhaps you can answer my query about his medal ribbon shown in the photograph I have of him dated about July 1917. I think the ribbon is the TEM. Is it possible he had the TD? A question of length of service as an NCO and as an officer?

Many thanks

Jaeger

It seems unlikely that he would have had either of the medals you mention ( The T.D. was an officers award)Can you post a copy of the picture?

I will E mail you copies of the pages from the Lichfield book

P.B.