Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Frank Gordon Gough, Casualty

uknews

Hello, i've hit a bit of a brick wall in researching my Grandfather and his war service. I specifically wanted to know which WW1 medals he was entitled to, but cannot find his medal card listed online. It seems his service in the forces was slightly out of the ordinary. He is listed as a casualty on CWGC as a member of the General Service Corps, service number 14221336, date of death 08/03/1945. I am led to believe by family members that he was recalled to service at the beginning of WW2 as a trainer in field telephony and signals. He had previously served in WW1 in the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, and this is the service and period i can't pin down. I presume he would have had a different service number in WW1 from that quoted above? There is a medal card listed online for a Gough, G. in the Reserves of the KOYLI, but as i don't know my Grandfather's WW1 regiment number, i can't be sure it is him. Any help or suggestions?

Thanks, Mark.

PS, i have absolutely no medals or paperwork belonging to him unfortunately.

welcome

yes he would have had a differant number for WW1

You could check the soldiers papers held at the NA, Kew - if you know his dob or other details then you need to check any papers for his name (check Frank Gough and Frank Gordon Gough) and hope for a match

Perhaps a Bootle paper for March 1945 has some details on him ?

good luck