Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major T O'B Hubbard MC AFC

mike j dunn

Major T O’B Hubbard MC AFC

My research has shown that Thomas O’Brien Hubbard commanded at least 4 RFC squadrons (is this something of a record?):

11 Sqn 10 Dec 15 to 17 Oct 16

75 (HD) Sqn 3 Jul 17 to 28 Jul 17

44 (HD) Sqn 24 Jul 17 to 29 Aug 17

73 Sqn 13 Nov 17 to 2 Jul 18

There appears to have been a small overlap between his command of 75 and 44 Sqns -but this might have been feasible. So far, I have not found any information about his service in the period between his command of 11 and 75 Sqns. (Any information on this gratefully received). Previous to taking over 11 sqn, Hubbard had served a flight commander in 3 Sqn.

Can any one suggest where I can find a full citation for Hubbard’s MC, gazetted in June 1916. The MC register at Kew state he was a member of the West Yorkshire Regt (as well as being in the RFC). Yet he joined the RFC on 27 Jul 12, having been a Territorial in the RE. Where could I confirm his connection with the West Yorkshires?

Many Thanks,

Mike

Hi,

This is his entry as a Squadron Commander on the Nov 1916 Army List

Regards Mark

post-14045-1183633869.jpg

• 6 years later...
Guest philyesil

Just wanted to add something of interest to anyone researching Major T. O'B Hubbard, M.C.

I have seen a silver cigarette box today which has the following inscription:-

Major T, O'B. Hubbard M.C.

with best wishes

from

W.O's, and Men: No. 11 Squadron, RFC

IN THE FIELD 1t, OCTOBER, 1916

The box is in Kyrenia Cyprus.

Perhaps he served in Akrotiri and then retired in Cyprus.

A bit more of interest - from "Flight" of 8 February 1962:

T. O'B. Hubbard

By the death of Gp Capt Thomas O'Brien Hubbard, MC, AFC, which occurred on January 24, one of the few remaining personal links with pre-1914 British aviation is severed. Gp Capt Hubbard was honorary secretary of the Royal Aeronautical Society from 1908 until 1912, when he resigned—and was elected a life member of the Society— before joining the Special Reserve of the Royal Flying Corps.

Graeme

• 7 years later...

Not sure if anyone would ever find this thread but ...

Portal mentions Hubbard in his RFC College recollections. I find them far fetched to say the least. Portal claims that when he was taken up on his first tactical recon over enemy lines he had never been in an aircraft before and that his pilot, Hubbard, had never been over enemy lines and neither had he flown that particular type of aircraft.

Hubbard had been flying since 1912. He has been an instructor and flight commander at CFS. He had been in France since February 1915 when Portal arrived in July.

Is it credible that Hubbard would have not crossed the line in 5 months, and given his experience at CFS, have flown an aircraft he had never flown before?