Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AO 351 and 391 of 1915 and Scottish Dress

Joe Sweeney

I am trying to determine when several variances in Scottish dress became official and common.

First I am trying to determine what Army Orders 351 and 391 of 1915 actually said in regard to Scottish dress (if these are the correct Orders). I’ve references to both Army Orders having said that “The square Front of the Service Dress Jacket worn by Kilted Regiments, will not be rounded off as the purse and belt is not to be worn during mobilization and the alterations are therefore unnecessaryâ€. Since the Royal Army Clothing Department did not adopt nor procure a “Cutaway†version of the SD Jacket, rounding the fronts was permitted in the Clothing Regulations up-to 1914*. Officially, these Army Orders ended the practice. However, these Orders appear to have been for the most part ignored with various General Routine Orders issued in France through 1918 condemning the practice (a sure sign of its continued practice).

The 11th Gordon’s recorded that these instructions arrived in approx. Aug of 1915 (the source did not quote the AO#)

Can anyone who may have read these or has access to the Army Orders at Kew synopsis what each order actually said and any differences between them?

Second I’m trying to get a good idea when the issue of Balmorals in place of Glenagarries and Tam O Shanters in place of Balmorals became common place.

If anyone who has researched the various Scottish Battalion War diaries has noticed or recorded when it might have taken place for a particular Battalion I’d appreciate any feed back.

The Winter Scale of Issue for the BEF of 11 October 1915 notes that Balmoral Bonnets, Balmoral Bonnets with Khaki cover if Bonnet not Khaki, and Tam O Shanters were all available for issue.

The Priced Vocabulary of Clothing and Necessaries printed in July 1915 does not list Tam O Shanters, but does list three types of Balmoral Bonnets.

So I’m trying to get a feel for when issue of one type of headgear might have taken place for any given Battalion.

Examples that I have so far

1st Bn Gordons recorded in their War Diary in February 1915: “Blue Balmoral bonnets issued replacing the Glengarry, but not to be worn in trenches until Khaki covers arrived; too conspicuous.â€

The 11th Gordons recorded that when its first draft of men was sent overseas in Aug 1915 that every man was issued a Balmoral cap to replace his Glengarry.

*During WWI the War office is not recorded as having procured Scottish versions of the SD Jacket nor adopting an official Pattern (sealed pattern). This does not include Jackets that may have been procured outside War Office Contracts. The Territorial Force Associations and locally raised Pals type units may have procured Scottish Cutaway Jackets with there own contracts and manufacturers.

Thanks again,

Joe Sweeney