Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Harold Jackson, 41st Squadron, Royal Flying Corps

tharkin56

I am researching plaques in the war memorial park, coventry as below. i am led to believe a picture exists of Harold Jackson although it did not appear in the local papers. Details below:

Captain Harold Jackson, 41st Squadron, Royal Flying Corps died of wounds received during the Battle of Messines age 21 on the 7th June 1917. He was the brother of Mr. F. H. Jackson, of Fairhaven, Palmerston Road, Coventry and the son of Mr F. T. Jackson of The Spring, Stoke Coventry. Harold was born in 1897, at Stoke Green and resided at Coventry. He was employed as an apprentice in an engineering works and enlisted in 1915. Soon after the outbreak of war he joined the Ruffy-Beauman school of flying, at Hendon and there obtained his pilots certificate. Captain Jackson was then granted a commission in the 13th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment transferring to the RFC three months later. On oCtober 1st 1916, Captain Jackson flew out to France. He was promoted Captain and Flight Commander in March 1917. On the day of his death he was miles over German lines when he sustained a direct hit by a high explosive. Although his foot was blown off and his arm practically severed at the shoulder he brought his machine back. He died at the dressing station shortly afterwards and is buried in Chester Farm Cemetery, Zillebeke, Plot I, Row K, Grave 31.

‘The Coventry Graphic’ at the end of the war a memorial was placed in Stoke church ( by members of the Jackson family) to the late Mr. and Mrs. Jackson and their youngest son Harold Jackson who was killed on June 17th 1917. This memorial could not be found and his name appears on the family grave in St. Michaels cemetery, Stoke, Coventy with the words in memory of Captain Harold Jackson, RFC, Died during the Battle of Messines 7th June 1917.

Tharkin56,

There is a photo of Jackson - not a very good one - and 41 Sqdn on page 35 of my old Osprey book,'British Fighter Units Western Front 1914-1916. There are plenty of copies available on Amazon.

Alex Revell

Tharkin56,

There is a photo of Jackson - not a very good one - and 41 Sqdn on page 35 of my old Osprey book,'British Fighter Units Western Front 1914-1916. There are plenty of copies available on Amazon.

Alex Revell

Just realised that the the photo in the book only just shows Jackson. Send me your email address and I'll send you an attachment of the whole photo.

Alex

Trevor,

Your post has been bounced back twice. Your message showed a dash underneath the line between your names. The bounced back message showed no such line in the address. I went into your web site and that gave the email address as being without the line. Help!

Trevor,

Your post has been bounced back twice. Your message showed a dash underneath the line between your names. The bounced back message showed no such line in the address. I went into your web site and that gave the email address as being without the line. Help!

Email address is trevor_harkin@hotmail.com or try trevorharkin@btinternet.com

Thanks for your persistence

Trevor,

The hotmail address is the one which gave the bounced back message from the postmaster. The postmaster's message gave it without the line, but my email box showed I had addressed it correctly, with the line. I have sent the latest to the BT address. Let me know if it arrives OK. I am leaving here about 5pm for a week's holiday, so if you don't hear from me in the meantime, you'll know why.

Alex

Trevor,

The hotmail address is the one which gave the bounced back message from the postmaster. The postmaster's message gave it without the line, but my email box showed I had addressed it correctly, with the line. I have sent the latest to the BT address. Let me know if it arrives OK. I am leaving here about 5pm for a week's holiday, so if you don't hear from me in the meantime, you'll know why.

Alex

received and thanks for the photo don't know why hotmail didn't work