The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Naval Division - Unusual caps and arm badges.

bierlijn

I have been informed by source far more knowledgable than myself that the caps and MG arm badges in this RND photo are unusual for this unit. Can anyone out there shed more light on this please?

Hugh

post-19252-1183581015.jpg

Very nice photo indeed showing the RND cap tally attached to the service dress peaked khaki cap. These particular photos of the RND are a rarity and usually to be found during the early stages of the RND's re-formation after the Antwerp expedition in October 1914, when khaki clothing was being issued.

Nothing unusual about the arm badge which both show they're qualified Machine Gunners, but one is wearing the metal "MG" in a wreath , while the other is wearing it in cloth. I personally think this photo was taken during the formation of the battalion machine gun sections and prior to the formation of the Brigade Machine Gun Companies and before the RND embarked for Gallipoli.

Graham.

post-7376-1183590470.jpg

Members of the RND dressed for the Antwerp expedition 1914.

Graham.

post-7376-1183590590.jpg

After Antwerp and the RND's reformation. This time with S.D. caps, but the RND cap tally is replaced with the brass battalion shoulder title as a cap badge. The two lads at the end of the group wearing collar badges are instructors from the Royal Marine Light Infantry.

Graham.

post-7376-1183591192.jpg

How they looked with the introduction of the khaki sailors cap, which suited the RND cap tally a lot better.

Graham.

Thanks Graham, for that excellent lesson in the RND's uniform development - I couldn't have hoped for better.

I'm afraid there are no names on this photograph. Looking at it though, it is very professionally lit and shot, almost as though it was being posed for a magazine article about RND uniforms. Maybe they were professional models. OK, I'm not serious, but to me it looks more 'studio' than the usual 'posed in front of inappropriate painted backdrop' ones.

Hugh

• 5 years later...

I've been doing some research on RND uniforms and came across this link: http://www.chettleworld.com/frederick.php

Frederick Leslie Chettle MM. Nelson Btn RND. On his left cuff he has the Army sigs badge but it appears to be on a backing? Any ideas what this would be? Also there seems to be something on his shoulder just below the RND badge? Is there another badge or is there a flaw in the photo?

This is a great site for info, I've spent a lot of time reading info here. :thumbsup:

The "backing" below / under the signallers badge is the blue signallers brassard. Nice image btw!

TT

The "backing" below / under the signallers badge is the blue signallers brassard. Nice image btw!

TT

Ah yes, many thanks. Any thoughts on the badge(?) below the RND on the shoulder?

Is that the curved NELSON battalion shoulder title?

Roger.

As seen here to the left :thumbsup:

[EDIT - this remark relates to what is now (2021) a previous previous profile picture]

Edited by michaeldr

As seen here to the left :thumbsup:

Well done! I was going to try to curve the text in my reply, but couldn't think how to do it.

Roger.

Well done! I was going to try to curve the text in my reply, but couldn't think how to do it.

Roger.

Ah! I see. So it's the curved NELSON battalion badge underneath the RND. I can see it now you've mentioned it. :)

• 8 years later...

My apologies...it's been a while since I have been on this forum. I have uploaded a picture of my Grandfather Frederick Leslie Chettle MM and an image of the badges I have from his display case. He is wearing a straight RND with a curved Nelson title. This picture was taken at the end of WW1 s he has his MM ribbon on and cotton wool in his left ear. He had an ear infection that ultimately saved his life. However he suffered from what we would now call PTSD and he died in 1961 after spending 25 years in a mental institution. 

His medals were lost in the 1930's so if anyone hears of them please let me know.

Thanks for looking

Chris

342B076D-67E5-4C8F-97F7-6D497D7202DD.jpeg

Nov 17-137.jpg

Nelson Bn had been disbanded in February 1918 and he was transferred to Hawke Bn. I wonder if he wore Nelson badges especially for the presentation of his (Nelson) MM by King George at Aldershot on 8 June 1918. Alternatively, the image may have been taken when he was on UK leave from Nelson Bn in September 1917. At the end of the war he was no longer in the RND as a sea service rating in Devonport Barracks (HMS VIVID).

I have never before seen the small Nelson badge with enamel "NELSON". Is it a sweetheart brooch?

Great image. Brave young rating. Thank you for posting.

Thanks for the information. I have his service record too so I did know this but it's good to know that the information is out there. Yes it is a sweetheart badge. I have some of his Hawke documents and badges too