Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Only a door stop!

Gunner Bailey

It turned out that he was trying to make safe a selection of "German army bullets". Apparently since the incident, he has given up drink completely!

At my suggestion, he has now also removed the tag line from his forum musings.

So having given up the drink has he given up the other activities or does he perform them while sober?

Mick

I think my personal horror would be disturbing a gas shell. I've seen so many complete shells on the battlefields, mostly fired duds, but the thought of being near a leaking gas shell has made me leave them all well alone.

Gunner Bailey

You will fine....just follow the instructions!

Mick

http://www.kurtsaxon.com/defense009.htm

Thanks Mick

When I've finished knitting my DIY NBC suit, I'll start on the gas masks. Where would we be without your useful ideas? :blush:

Gunner Bailey

Good question! Was always a bit dubious about issue respirators and NBC suits let alone home made....does anyone still have scar on back of hand from blister agent excercise on NBC course?

Mick

• 4 weeks later...
Mind you I have never gone wrong by sticking to Old Bills wise advice:

Oddly I saw a photo from WW1 just like this cartoon, showing a man making trench art. Hammer, Chisel, Large Shell. Wince....

Gunner Bailey

Has any one seen todays BBC Midlands today (05/09/07) - a WW1 (live) shell has just been discovered being used as a door stop in a Midlands factory - back to start of thread for another go around!

X - rayed, no longer dangerous, eagle-eyeed officer spotted a "unexploded bomb", taken away for disposal. Bit over the top, don`t ypu think. As already mentioned the driving band indicated a fired shell. What about evacuating the whole neighbourhood?. I would have thought that the most dangerous thing that could have happened is that it was dropped on someones foot!.

It's not over the top at all, there is a long established procedure for this sort of thing. An engraved driving band does not mean that the round isn't live. There are many thousands of live round in France and Belgium in that sort of state. If they had not evacuated the immediate area and the round had detonated causing casualties, there would have been posts on here condemning all those involved no doubt . Safety first is the rule with explosives and explosive ordnance.

TR

It may have been fired but was unexploded - according to an interview with the factory owner it still contained its bursting charge which he blithly remarked 'must have been safe by now'! given that the building had once been a shell manufactory - not difficult to guess its origins

• 6 months later...

Hallo,

Yesterday at Liege (Belgium) a fair in open air had to be evacuated, and the bomb disposal called in, because some body was selling dynamite and other explosives of WWII, still contained in the original boxes and bags.

Regards,

Cnock

Hi Cnock

Well it is good for removing tree roots, so it could be useful to the home handyman! :lol:

Darwin award time?

Gunner Bailey

Hello,

Last year on a guided tour,we had a certain individual who was obsessed with all the shells that were lying around.He would continually handle them and was told on several occasions to leave alone.He was spotted trying to remove the nose cone fuse off an unexploded shell with his penknife,the consequencies dont bare thinking about.If these individuals want to endanger their own lives(after they have been told of the danger) thats upto them,but to put the safety of others at jeopardy is totally unacceptable.

A mortar was also found(see my photo below),and everyone was told to leave it alone as they can be very unstable,but people would pick it up to have their photo taken with it.!!It obviously just doesn't sink in with some people.

post-28024-1205086548.jpg

These shells were designed to kill and maim and after 90 years they can still do just that.

Anthony.

To many now they have no comprehension of the damage that can be done by a shell, or even grenade. All they see is what they gain on the T.V, where even though it is a bang and some screaming it can be switched off. Maybe those who like to pick these things up, some try being near a piece of ordnance when they go off. Maybe battlefield tours should now include a visit to a fire power demo, maybe that would put people off picking them up. I have picked them up in the past, though was quickly told not to, and the service of H.M has told me to leave well alone. If these people are lucky it may just be a hand / arm / vision, or they may not be left enough for a burial. IT SHOULD BE REMEMBERED WHAT THEY WERE DESIGNED TO DO - KILL!!

Anthony, that looks a very nasty thing to plough up!

Gunner Bailey

Now that make the eye water! ^_^

GB

Anthony, that looks a very nasty thing to plough up!

Gunner Bailey

It certainly is,and plenty of them too.

Anthony.

hi all my first post on this fourm so hi to everyone!! :D

This uxb thingy has got me thinking, after being in the commando arty for 4 years i have seen my fair share of "modern" duds, my recollection of the fuse mech is even if a shell is PD (point detonating) it still has to go through half a dozen stages of initiation from firing to impact i.e :-set back,set to,set forward, revolution etc, all these stages are put in to ensure the fuse operates safely and correctly at the point of impact and if only ONE of these stages fails the round simply wont go off,hence a dud, these safeguards are very very accurate in working, so even if you hit a modern PD fuse with a hammer(and no i don't encourage it) it should not go off,

now did the older rounds of ww1 have these safe guards built in? i know most were time and pd fuses but they i would have thought still had similar devices to make them work safely and correctly? so just how volatile are they? yes the explosive filling can break down and the shell case can split etc but to have a shell go off by the fuse after all these years? i don't know what due you think, I'm not an expert just throwing up some points to discuss.( i do know these things DO go off but again how often and why)

oh and i have been stupid as well so don't follow my advice to closely, Iraq 91 a loverly great pile of PE stock left by the republican guard sweating in the sun, well we were young and it was fascinating, you could wipe the compound off with your fingers and flick it to the floor to CRACK :o ...wow when it went up by EOD

regards

lee