Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Building identification please

eric e

post-17375-1183574848.jpg

Going through some old family photo's last night I came across this one. Judging by the nurse standing outside I'm guessing that the building is a hospital or convalescent home. But is it in England or Egypt? The men seem to be in uniform and playing a form of deck quoits. I know my Grandfather spent some time in hospital in Egypt, and he also had a camera. Maybe someone on the forum has seen pictures of this building before and could identify it for me. To be honest I'm not even sure it's from the Great War period but I would be very grateful for any comments made.

Regards'

Eric.

Looks more oriental than UK?

I think the game is not deck quoits but (I forget the name) - rings or horseshoes? There is a small upright stave in the ground (near man far left) and the player tries to loop the ring over the stave by throwing it - played also with horseshoes.

Ian

Terry,

Many thanks for the link. I posted a picture postcard a while ago that my Grandfather sent home of a group of nurses, the photographers stamp being L Missak Heliopolis. Ties the two pictures together quite nicely I think.

Ian,

Thanks for your comments.

The lattice work along the roof edge looked Victorian to me, so I was edging my bets a little.

Your eyesight must be a lot better than mine, I couldn't make out the stave and I've just spent £300 on varifocals :unsure:

Deck quoits was the only name that sprang to mind, though I have seen cowboys in western films playing something similar with horseshoes.

Regards,

Eric.

Eric,

I fancy it is there, in front of the far man's right leg (right leg from his perspective). But it may be imaginitis. However I think I am right about the game, even if the stave is invisible!

Ian

Ian,

I'm sure you're right about the game even if I can't see the stave.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the mens uniforms and caps?

Regards,

Eric.

Eric,

I am only guessing, but I suspect it is the straight line which looks like his leg, at first glance. But if you contemplate further, it would mean an excessively long leg in relation to his other leg, and to his stature in general. It is therefore, I concluded, the magic stave at which the pipe smoker is about to aim a ring!

I am sure it altered the course of the war in the Middle East, and at last I have my moment of fame uncovering the photographic evidence...

:blush:

Ian

Ian,

Now I see it. Game set and match to you. :D

Regards,

Eric.

Is the photo the multi-storied building in the Anzac link or the Palace itself ???

Anyone have a photo of the Aotea NZ Convalescent Home ?

Kevin

It's the building at the bottom of the linked page (you see the interior in the picture). I've seen a number of pictures of the interior which I always find reminiscent of something like the Crystal Palace.

Just a quick comment on the game. There is a variant of it still alive and kicking in the British Army and in particular the REME. The equipment needed is as follows;

Shovel GS - 1

Hammer 2lb - 1

Can of dried milk powder from 10 man ration pack - 1

Method:

Dig the blade of the shovel into ground.

Make a dent across the middle of the can.

Balance can on shovel handle using the dent as a locator.

Retire 25 metres (or other suitable distance if restricted).

Throw hammer at can.

Direct hit on can, knocking it to the ground - 2 points

Hitting shovel, dislodging can - 1 point

Hitting can or shovel and not dislodging can - prolonged mockery from your fellow hammer throwers.

I've played this game and seen it being played on the exercise areas of northern Germany, various UK locations and the desert sands of the Gulf states.

And this cricket loving gunfitter could compete with the best of them!

Cheers,

Nigel

post-17375-1183574848.jpg

Going through some old family photo's last night I came across this one. Judging by the nurse standing outside I'm guessing that the building is a hospital or convalescent home. But is it in England or Egypt? The men seem to be in uniform and playing a form of deck quoits. I know my Grandfather spent some time in hospital in Egypt, and he also had a camera. Maybe someone on the forum has seen pictures of this building before and could identify it for me. To be honest I'm not even sure it's from the Great War period but I would be very grateful for any comments made.

Regards'

Eric.

Dear Eric

I don't have a photo to hand to compare it, but have you considered the Brighton Pavillion - used as a hospital most of the War?

Regards

JR

I think that Brighton Pavilion is just as valid as The Palace Hotel JR. I must have missed something because I cannot see how it could be the 1st Australian Hospital as seen http://www.egy.com/landmarks/97-05-01.1.shtml , but liking Martin's description of the Crystal Palace then it may be the Auxillery Hospital at Luna Park, see http://nla.gov.au/nla.cs-pa-HTTP%253A%252F...TYPE%253DBOTTOM . Possibly a better description of where it was.

Kevin

According to a quick "google" The Royal Pavilion Brighton was an Indian Hospital during the war See Here There are several other sites that mention it too, so this case it is probably true.

post-17375-1183827048.jpg

JR/Kevin,

Thanks for your comments but I don't think the photo can be of Brighton Pavillion. I do know my grandfather spent some time in hospital in Egypt with dysentry, as did about half the Shropshire Yeomanry. The postcard is one he sent home, presumably with a letter because there is no information on the back. I guess the card and photo were mementoes of his time in the hospital. The photo could be from Alexandria though, as my father thinks that grandad was in hospital there.

The internal photo of Luna Park looks a possibility but not the external, to me at any rate.

Nigel,

Perhaps REME should challenge the Aussies to match, can't do any worse than our cricketers. :D

Regards,

Eric.

According to a quick "google" The Royal Pavilion Brighton was an Indian Hospital during the war See Here There are several other sites that mention it too, so this case it is probably true.

You can rule out Brighton Pavilion, neither the back or front look like that and the dome is wrong for Brighton Pavilion

Tony

Dear Eric

I don't have a photo to hand to compare it, but have you considered the Brighton Pavillion - used as a hospital most of the War?

Regards

JR

Not Brighton: I lived on and off in Church Street, just 100 yards from the Pavillion, for the first 18 years of my life.

No.

• 1 year later...
Anyone have a photo of the Aotea NZ Convalescent Home ?

Replying to an old thread. This image is from New Zealand Military Nursing: A History of the R.NZ.N.C. Boer War to the Present Day by Sherayl Kendall & David Corbett 1990. p 47

scan-3.jpg

Allie