Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help from Reading about early tank commander

delta

Pals (and Roland as well ;) )

I am trying to track down what happend to 2Lt (Louis) Victor Smith of the Tank Corps after the war.

Born between Jan – Mar 1891 in Reading; the son of Reginald Charles and Lucy A Smith and brought up in Elmshurst Rd.

He commanded Casa at the battle of Flers-Courcellette ; the tank was named after the house which was designed by his architect father. Awarded MC for action whilst commanding tank C7 during the attack on the Chemical Works at Roeux on 23 April 1917, in support of 51(H) Div during Battle of Arras For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. When in command of a Tank he rendered most valuable service by putting several enemy machine guns out of action. Later, he gave great assistance to the infantry by driving the enemy out of their houses and doing great execution with his machine guns. (LG 18 Jun 1917). Appointed T/Lt 15th Oct 1917; OC 2 Sect 7th Coy of C Bn at Cambrai. Relinquished A/Capt on ceasing to comd a sect (3 Jul 1918). Relinquished A/ Maj on ceasing to be empld as Comdt Trg & Reinf Depot 27 Jun 19.

There is a possible link to Motorcyclist who won silver cup for Bath/Land’s End return race Mar 1920 on a 4 HP machine.

I know he married Barbara Abram and a daughter was born on 20 Oct 1922 at 73 Alexandra Road Reading.

Possibly managing director of Huntley, Boorne and Stevens 1935 until 1960; then served as deputy Chairman until 23 Dec 1963 but I dont know about his death.

Grateful if some-one in the Royal County could assist further

Stephen :)

Thanx Mike - most useful --Stephen :)

Mike - had a contact who knows of Victor Smith although not his WW1 details

Thanx once again

On on

Stephen