Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Paying respect in Armentieres' - who's been before?

peter__m

Hello friends.

It's been ages since I've been on.

Life and work went mad for a while but finally summer is here and I have a life again.

I've finally arranged to get over and visit my great grandfather, James Mullan's grave.

He's buried in Le Bizet.

I'll be flying to Brussels on Monday morning and be on the prowl for a few days. I can't wait. May well get lost.

Thank you everyone on the forum for all the advice and help you have generously given to me as I pieced together different bits of info about James Mullan over the last year or so. It's been great. I've been singing your praises.

I'm very excited.

If any of you would like a picture or anything taken of some graves in the area let me know. I will try my best.

It'll all be down to the quality of the GPS in the car hire so be forgiving.

I definitely need to get to Armentieres to visit the grave but apart from that the rest is open to debate.

I'm arriving at Brussesls Charleloi airport at 9.00am on Monday morning.

I have a hire care with GPS booked for the 3 days.

My flight home is at 6.00pm on Wednesday.

I'm staying in Lille on Monday night and Brussels on Tuesday night.

I'd really appreciate some ideas from those who know more than me. Which isn't hard!

Thanks,

Peter

This is so exciting - I've never done this before!

Hi Peter

Just wanted to wish you well on your trip. I'm sure you will find it a very moving experience. Let us know how you get on!

Swizz

Enjoy the experience - south of Armentieres is Le Trou Aid Post cemetery, one of the nicest on the WF and it is just along the road from VC corner Australian memorial, the "Cobber" memorial and the site of the battle at Fromelles. So much to see around there and not too far from the Indian memorial at port Arthur and the Neuves Chapelle battle field.

Have a great trip. Try and avoid the Tour De France route on Monday and Tuesday though!

Monday - around Ypres area and Tuesday from Waregem down into France.

Most if not all of us get 'misplaced' at some time on our trips. :rolleyes:

stevem

Have a great trip. Try and avoid the Tour De France route on Monday and Tuesday though!

Monday - around Ypres area and Tuesday from Waregem down into France.

Most if not all of us get 'misplaced' at some time on our trips. :rolleyes:

stevem

I love cycling too Steve so I'm on a winner. Can you watch easily or is it heavily policed? I was hoping to do that for a little while. Any cyclers out there?

I am also hoping to pick up a great war map for the area - any suggestions?

Normally you can get a place to see the caravan and Tour pass by without to much problem. We will be somewhere near Gistel on Monday depending on the ferry. I have the times for Tuesday (doubt you would make it for Monday!)

Although it finishes in Ghent at about 16.15. It does though go through Poperinghe, Bozeinghe and Dixmuide before going to the coast at Nieupoort ( along the front line from Ypres to Coast)

Approx of course -

Waregem - 10.55 start. then via Avelgem (11.22), Celles (11.42) Tournai Sprint (12.01) Maulde France, (12.01) Saint-Amand-Les-Eaux (12.09) Solesmes (13.01) Fontaine sprint - (about same time) Landrecies (13.27) Amigny-Rouy (15.11) Cote de Blerancourt ( 15.38) Compiegne - finish (16.25)

It passes through the villages of hell (named after Paris-Roubaix just after WW1) and finishes near the 'Armistice signing area of WW1'

Maps - I usually have the Michelin/CWGC book showing the vast majority of the cemeteries. For general driving the Michelin 301 Local Pas-de-Calais, Somme is good and it covers all the area you need.

The Tourist info at Ypres has lots of local maps and the cycling/walking ones are always useful.

steve