Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Will the like of Kitchener's army ever be seen again?

Katie Elizabeth Stewart

Here we descend into the world of stereotypes and gender roles. I am sure that some believe that the idea of only men having a destructive part of their being and women not being so inclined is merely a gender construct of society. On the other hand others might say that the urge to destroy other men and things simply does not exist in many women. If, in a crude sense, we are all animals the male desire to destroy comes from some desire to assert sexual superiority over his fellow man, and therefore woman as well. However psychology is certainly not my strong point.

Jon

Many a woman would gladly destroy a man if it was to protect the one she loved.

Many a woman would gladly destroy a man if it was to protect the one she loved.

You could be a writer of romantic fiction! :P

I did not rule out killing in defence, or self defence for women. I only suggested that the desire to do violence for its own sake might not be so present. After all I do not think that the international population of women mercenaries is a very large one.

Jon

You could be a writer of romantic fiction! :P

I did not rule out killing in defence, or self defence for women. I only suggested that the desire to do violence for its own sake might not be so present. After all I do not think that the international population of women mercenaries is a very large one.

Jon

As for the point about romantic fiction, perhaps I intend to be one day ;) The only female soldier I have ever properly met was at Bovington army camp - I was most amused when a wasp flew over, and she started flapping at it and screaming! I would agree with you on the whole. We women are more docile, generally - we can't see the point in argueing, we'd hate to damage your pride :lol:

That said, looking at some of the propoganda posters from the First World War that were women orientated, I think it would be fair to say we filled an aggressive enough role in the soldiers' absence.

I would agree with you on the whole. We women are more docile, generally - we can't see the point in argueing, we'd hate to damage your pride :lol:

My pride! My pride is not damaged at all- I did win didn't I?! :wacko:;)

On the other hand the leader of the Conservative Party 1975-1990 might disagree with you.

Jon

My pride! My pride is not damaged at all- I did win didn't I?! :wacko:;)

On the other hand the leader of the Conservative Party 1975-1990 might disagree with you.

Jon

:lol:

If violent cum sadistic impulses are a more masculine characteristic, as you say (and I am sure you are right), then I would argue that the sole motivation behind them is to flaunt power and status, and in so doing, to intimate to some women that they are not afraid, and are worthy of possessing them and capable of protecting them etc. Indeed, it is this very quality that probably makes men ideal for protecting women. Of course, there are exceptions.

But if a tendency to seek power in violence is more commonly applicable to men, what of the sense of comradeship? Are women capable of feeling that they share such an overwhelming bond with those trapped in an identical situation? For example, could a woman feel prepared to lay down her life for her 'sisters', or even for her brothers in arms? I can't exactly explain why, (although I strongly suspect it has everything to do with the First World War), but I always associate camaraderie with men and boys.