Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dorothea Shepherd, TFNS

pisumcorporum

Dorothea M Shepherd, daughter of the Rector of Sulhamstead Abbots, in Berkshire.

She has 2 MICs, one for TANS which is blank except for her rank of Sister, and a Roll form Number. The other, for TFNS makes her eligible for Victory medal, TFWM, and SWB. She served in France from 23/03/1916.

She is buried in the churchyard at Sulhamstead Abbots, where she died (if memory serves me) in 1921. She is buried in a civilian grave.

1. It seems as if she had a very active war.

2. An informant said that she was invalided out with mental problems, from which she never recovered.

3. She is memorialised on the war memorial at Sulhamstead Abbots.

4. I make sure she gets a poppy at our walk around the churchyards with the RBL in November.

5. I would like to think that she was a brave young woman, paying a price.

Anthony

• 14 years later...

I noticed Dorothea's name on the memorial in Sulhamstead Abbots churchyard when I visited yesterday.

Googling led to this web page, which suggests that there is also a "grave monument" to her in Kensal Green Cemetery. She was buried in 1926, having been  "invalided from the Great War after many years of suffering".

(I note that the OP last visited us in February 2010.)

EDIT: I've just emailed the parish secretary in the hope a local resident may know more. I would have thought Dorothea might have excited interest at the time of the Centenary.

Edited by Moonraker

The Kensal Green memorial is new to me. I requested an image from the Gravestone Photographic Resource and everything went swimmingly - until the message said that there was no image available. Not sure why they listed it if it is not in their database.