Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recruiters in Ireland and elsewhere

ckop4

As many of you might be aware, some of those involved in recruitment here in Cork were murdered and/or attacked or had their homes/premises burnt during the War of Independence.

Reading about these, I wonder did this happen anywhere else - in other parts of Ireland? And also, were recruiters targeted after the war in other countries?

JPC

And also, were recruiters targeted after the war in other countries?

Most European nations had conscipted armies so there was no need for 'recruiters' I beleive that their murer in Ireland would have been more to do with the fact that they symbolised the old, British, order and were seen as being suspect in terms of loyalty in revolutionary Ireland, rather than due to the fact that they were recruiters.

Jon

When researching my MA thesis, I cam across accounts of recruiters in Cornwall being booed and hissed at by local youths who they were trying to recruit, but nothing like the case in Ireland! And as for post-war, I have never come across anything anywhere.

Nationalists in Ireland were already attempting to discourage recruitment during the war and at the same time some threats were issued against some of those being recruited. After the war my grandfather found the combination of having served in the war and being C of I a distinct disadvantage in the South and had to move to Northern Ireland, he was not alone.

It is evident that during the period 1919-1922 the "War" period, any association with the British military was considered treacherous by the IRA. The degree of "treachery" was dictated by the strength of the IRA from county to county and so, Cork being a stronghold made life very difficult for retired soldiers.

Ken

It is evident that during the period 1919-1922 the "War" period, any association with the British military was considered treacherous by the IRA. The degree of "treachery" was dictated by the strength of the IRA from county to county and so, Cork being a stronghold made life very difficult for retired soldiers.

Ken

And not just Cork - my grandfather having been a classical pianist and accompanist was quite well known in Dublin before the war. he had to move after it. Ironic in that he had friends and aquaintances on both sides (including Erskine Childers, W B Yeates and the Countess Markiewicz on the Nationalist side and Carson on the Unionist!)