Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcard

Conor Dodd

I saw the postcard on the main page of the website and realised that I have one the same except with Dublin Fusiliers in the place of the 7th Buffs has anyone ever seen any to other regiments ? I have heard of cards being made for sale in camps and each time the regiment went they changed them does anyone else know anything obout this one ?

Conr :blink:

I haven't seen the one on the homepage Conor, but I have seen an early war postcard depicting the retreating Germans shouting something akin to "Mein Gott!! Ze Northamptons are coming!!!" Subsequently, I've seen the same postcard with the Germans being chased by virtually every other county unit in the land.

Kate I have seen one with Mein Gott Ze Inniskillings are coming and there is a German Soldier hiding in a barell or something like that. Many thanks for the replies.

Conor

There is a thin little book about postcards by John Laffin. You might not like the text (I find it superficial) but the pictures are an interesting browse.

I have been given some silks and handkerchiefs using repeated motifs of this sort, from both Wars. Some of them were sewn in memory of dead brothers by surviving sisters for their parents. I find this very moving; and more so in a way that borrowed motifs and off-the-peg ideas were their way of conveying something so momentous, tragic and personal.

Gwyn

I have seen 2 with the German (wearing a picklehaube) in a barrel saying 'Mein Gott Ze Hunts Cyclists are coming' the other, 'Mein Gott Ze Royal Berks are coming'. There must be hundred of these basic designs with different unit names inserted.