Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

terry denham

deano

hi terry

hope you can help

forgive me if im wrong, to get a casualty onto the CWGC website must they have a CWGC headstone or be listed on a memorial or other? do inscriptions on family graves get you on the CWGC site?

for stannington(underbank)unitarian chapelyard, sheffield, CWGC cemetery details have 4 entries.

15808 Pte Charles Fletcher.

Joseph Goodison, died oct 8th 1918.

H.G. Pond, royal navy. died 4th feb 1919.

82309 1st private W.H.Stanmore, RAF.(laid flat)

iv'e been round this small graveyard 3 times in the last fortnight and only found 2 CWGC headstones.

one to H.G.Pond, Royal Navy

and the other to W.H.Stanmore. RAF.

cant find 15808 Pte Charles Fletcher's Headstone.

Joseph Goodison's name appears as an inscription on a family headstone. why no CWGC headstone?

there are other inscriptions on family headstones to men who died in ww1. checking these against CWGC information i found that the inscriptions are at odds with CWGC.

i'll list the info and see if you think there is sufficient grounds to get things changed.

inscription on family grave to Mathew Revett, died sept 13th 1916. On CWGC died 18th sept 1916.

inscription on family grave to Harry Lawson, K.I.A. Dardenelles. Aug 7th 1915. On CWGC died 9th.

inscription on family grave to Ernest BEACHELL, died sept 6th 1917. On CWGC listed as BEACHILL.

inscription on the family grave to Harry and Frank Thorpe. Harry KIA 20th july 1918, Frank died aug 1915.

On additional information for Harry on CWGC it states 'Han Moon', on the family grave it states 'Hann Moor'.

On additional information for Frank on CWGC it states 'Pann Moor', on the family grave it states 'Hann Moor'.

just to give the full picture of this graveyard there is the Grayson family grave with the brothers Ewart, and Ernest and these tie up with CWGC.

i have photographs i could mail you for clarification, apart from Charles Fletcher of course.

regards

Dean

SDGW says Revett died 18/09/16 as well CWGC.

SDGW says Lawson died on 9/08/15 as well as CWGC

Mick

cheers Mick

got SDGW and not checked it!

just wondering whats the correct one? the guy chiselling the stone or the other?

Dean

• 11 months later...
cant find 15808 Pte Charles Fletcher's Headstone.

Hello Dean,

I have a picture of his grave stone. I 'll send it via PM, if you still need it.

Regards

Robert.

Hi Robert,

yes please to the photo.

thank you.

Dean.

Dean

I think there is some confusion here....

Those names listed on the CWGC Debt of Honour are the men/women who qualify for War Grave status and commemoration by CWGC. Their burial location is listed or, if the grave is unknown or unmaintainable, the name of the memorial to the missing upon which their name is inscribed. These are their official commemoration places.

About 80% of these names in the UK have CWGC headstones. However, in the UK and other home countries, the relatives were allowed to choose to have a private memorial instead if they so wished. About 20% of such cases have private memorials. This does not alter their status as War Graves and they still appear in the online list. The only difference is that CWGC are not responsible for the maintenance of the private memorials on War Graves. So, if you are searching a cemetery for War Graves in Britain, you have to be prepared to search all the non-CWGC headstone graves as well to find them all.

In cemeteries and churchyards around the UK, you will find thousands of inscriptions on family graves remembering a loved one who died in the war. However, that is not their grave nor their place of commemoration - it is simply a private inscription. Inscriptions on headstones are notoriously unreliable and cannot be taken as evidence. Many relatives got the date of their loved one's death wrong - probably mis-remembered or told to them incorrectly at the time.

Terry,

i know where i am now,

but thanks anyway for the explanation.

regards

Dean.

Dean

I have a photo of Fletcher's headstone. He is there.

About 5 feet high. Grey/black colour with a pointed top. I don't have permission from the photo owner to post it here.

inscription on the family grave to Harry and Frank Thorpe. Harry KIA 20th july 1918, Frank died aug 1915.

On additional information for Harry on CWGC it states 'Han Moon', on the family grave it states 'Hann Moor'.

On additional information for Frank on CWGC it states 'Pann Moor', on the family grave it states 'Hann Moor'.

This, at least, seems to be an error that could be corrected.

Thanks Siege Gunner,

Thanks Terry,

regards

Dean.