Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anthony Courage MC

Bryn_Hammond

Can anyone help me finish a 'potted biography' of Captain Anthony Courage, 15th Hussars, who subsequently became Brigadier-General Courage, Tank Corps? Looking at the London Gazette site, I can find various entries for Anthony Courage but sometime between the entries for 18 April 1916 and 8 December 1916 he appears to have acquired an MC. However, I can't find any entry detailing why or when.

Of course, the entry may be down as plain 'Courage MC' somewhere - but try looking for 'courage' and 'MC' and you'll realise why I've been struggling.

Any assistance will be duly acknowledged and publicised.

Ta muchly (in hope).

Bryn (THIS Bryn, not the other one...)

Hi Bryn

I searched using "courage" between the two dates you mentioned and there are only 34 hits. One of these,2nd June 1916, has him listed but does not mention the MC so at least the field is narrowing down a bit.

Steve

Lord Carnock wrote 'The History of the 15th The King's Hussars, 1914-1922', which was published in 1932. I do not have a copy and the Marquess of Anglesey only makes brief mention of the 15th Hussars in one or two places - no mention of Courage.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Robert

Robert/Steve

Thank you both. Courage gets plenty of mentions in the earlier volume of the 15th Hussars history and I think he was a very active squadron CO during the 1914 battles. He was severely wounded in 1915 and was at home until October of that year. I'd appreciate anyone else coming forward with any ideas or info.

Bryn

• 8 years later...

Honour the Officers page 207:

COURAGE Anthony Captain MC Hussars (15) DSER 18.2.15. page 1689

COURAGE Anthony DSO. Major T/Lt Col. Hussars DSER 4.2.18 page 1600. ***

Do you want his detailed entry in the DSO book? ** This is your man who went onto serve with Tank Corps.

• 2 months later...

Honour the Officers page 207:

COURAGE Anthony Captain MC Hussars (15) DSER 18.2.15. page 1689

COURAGE Anthony DSO. Major T/Lt Col. Hussars DSER 4.2.18 page 1600. ***

Do you want his detailed entry in the DSO book? ** This is your man who went onto serve with Tank Corps.

Thanks, I have this info already. Apologies for the delay in replying.

Bryn