Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is the badge on his right arm?

Guest alkens

Hi,

Happy new year to you all.

Can you take a look at this picture, notice the badge above the elbow on his right arm. Can anyone care to guess what this badge might be?

Could this be a bandsman badge?

please help

regards

Paul

post-1-1072757556.jpg

Paul.

It looks like a drummers badge. I will have a look in the books I have. Meantime you will probably get a reply from someone more knowledgeable than me :lol:

Roger.

Hi Paul

It`s a drummers badge.I have one just like it.I also have some pictures if I ca track them down.I`ll try an scan it.

Happy New Year

Cheers

Dave

Hi Langleybaston1418,

sorry for asking a dumb question, what do you mean by worsted version? Does this mean it's made of wool?

The reason why I am asking if this is a drummers badge because my late grandmother claimed this was her uncle. I've attached another pic of a younger pic of my nans uncle, do you think its the same person?

thanks everyone.

Paul

post-1-1072792538.jpg

Definitely a drummer judging by the "swallows nests" on his shoulders and the lace on his uniform. You can also make out the Drummers badge on his right arm.

It does look like the same person, to me anyway.

Roger.

Drum badge intro. at least as early as 1874 [and 1849 for drum-majors], and has appeared in several materials and sizes. The early versions were cloth, fairly large, and rather gaudy and padded, a not-very-good likeness of a drum, in various coloured wools. It was intended for red frocks [not the smarter tunic, where the full drummer's lace and shoulder adornments marked his role. Nevertheless, it was worn on red tunic in many regiments, but not in the Guards].

Later [and here I avoid a date!] it appeared in brass, smaller and detachable,

and in khaki worsted with detail picked out in different but dull colours.

As to whether the colourful one made it on to service dress, I do not know, but I suspect so. The brass one was in wear by many in 1418.