Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The White Cross Touring Atlas of the Western Battlefields

bmac

Does anyone possess a copy of the above mentioned book and, if so, does it contain any information about cemeteries in the Gommecourt Wood area?

I have tried bookfinder.com, etc., and no copies are currently available. Any information much appreciated.

Bill - my copy is currently on loan to Jacky P in Belgium but I know other Pals have a copy of the book.

I recall that the Gommecourt cems were the subject of a thread some time ago and the thread included a scan from the relevant map from the atlas.

Ian,

Found it I think. Entitled 'Gommecourt, Map references for original cems'. It gives a link to a thread by Terry Carter which you refer to which is said to included a scan of this area. Unfortunately the link to this thread is dead.

Bill

Bmac

If you want a scan PM me your e mail.

Peter

Thanks to Peter I now have a copy of the White Cross Touring Atlas map for Gommecourt (thanks again Peter!). And from a 2004 thread I have the details of which cemetery refers to which reference point) All I can say is that then information bears precious little relationship to the descriptions of the locations given by the CWGC which themselves bear hardly any relationship to the locations the bodies were moved from to Gommecourt Wood New Cemetery. So, definitely none the wise but decidedly better informed!

The oddity about all of this is that, according to the burial records, the battlefield was cleared at the end of 1919 and yet the Touring Atlas published in 1921 has 12 cemeteries on the battlefield. I wonder how this information was collected?

Generally baffled.

Bmac

My copy of the White Cross is not dated and I have been trying to work out a date by when certain cemeteries were concentrated. Where do you get the Date From?

Peter

Bmac

My copy of the White Cross is not dated and I have been trying to work out a date by when certain cemeteries were concentrated. Where do you get the Date From?

Peter

Peter,

The burial forms prepared by the 200th Labour Company for Gommecourt Wood New Cemetery are dated November and December 1919. I believe the White Cross Atlas was published in 1921.

Bill

• 12 years later...

The digitization process is now complete, for those that end up at this topic on a search.

https://archive.org/details/thewhitecrosstouringatlasofthewesternbattlefields/mode/2up