Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

On CWGC but not on SDGW

Conor Dodd

I have a 1914 star to this man 63008 Dvr. J. Donohue R.F.A. he died/K.I.A. ? on the 14/09/1920 and is buried in Madras. So my question is why isn't he on the SDGW CD ?

Conor

Hi Ian

Solidiers Died in the Great War 1914 - 19 CD has 1377 soldiers on it who died after 01/01/1919 of which 27 died in 1920 and 1 died in 1921. Of the Officers there were 520 died in 1919 and none after that date.

Steve

On SDGW you can search between various dates. One of the dates which can be included in searches is referred to as "last casualty" and it's 31.12.21

Note: I'm not saying that this was the date on which the last casualty of the war died - it's just the date given if you check the "last casualty" box when setting up a search on SDGW.

Tom

Although SDGW has a number of 1919 casualties and a few from 1920, the last date of 31.12.21 is not realistic as there is only one from that year.

The list is also deficient in many who died in 1918 particularly from illness and/or at home in the UK. It is also wrong in location of death for many, stating 'France & Flanders' when, in reality, they died in the UK.

It is not uncommon to find men missing from SDGW in any year.

When SDGW was originally compiled, different regiments' volumes were completed at different times and so the "cut-off" dates vary depending on the unit.Some soldiers died after their regiment's volume was closed,but they were still eligable for "war-grave" status. The cut-offs don't tally with that of the CWGC as they are independant of each other.

Also, when SDGW was put onto CD, many mistakes were made that weren't in the original volumes. For example, when I first got my CD (version 1.0), 3 of the first 20 or so soldiers I looked up weren't on it, yet they were in the original volumes. There was also an entire battalion missing (11th N.F.s, if memory serves me correctly). There may have been more that I don't know about.

I believe that many of these mistakes and ommissions have been rectified in newer editions, but it'd take a lifetime to correct them all, especially when the original volumes weren't infallible themselves!

As for the place of death being incorrect, I've also come across so many of these that I've mentally corrected it to "place of cause of death". (ie. a soldier who was badly wounded in France, but who succumbed to those wounds at home, would have his place of death as being "France and Flanders").

Dave.

SDGW CD is taken from 81 volumes originally published in 1921 so although 31st December 1921 is given as a last casualty date obviously each of the individual books were completed before that date.

Steve

Conor

Any records are only as good as the people that compile them and the circumstances in which they are compiled.

So it is not surprising that there are both errors and ommissions in SDIGW.

SDIGW shows about 5500 casualties for the Labour Corps whereas the CWGC records show over 9000. Most of the additional names in the CWGC records do not appear in other regiments/units. So it seems likely that when SDIGW was originally put together these records had not been entered or had been lost.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Ooer :huh:

An interesting case is Pte Benjamin Payen whose name is spelt correctly on CWGC (although his NoK details are wrong!) but who is listed as 'Payne' on SDGW.

Ian

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Terry,

He is related to a work colleague of mine who belongs to the WW1 study group I have started at work. According to her his Mother's name recorded is incorrect. I did tell to her to contact the CWGC with proof, following on from some information you posted when I raised the matter of an MGC soldier KiA with 52 Coy and not 115 Coy as is recorded.

I have no reason to disbelieve her - she is my Boss!

Quite right! Don't jeopardise things!

If she has good proof, it can be changed as you know. The name CWGC record was, of course, supplied by the n-o-k!

I researched a WW1 officer two years ago at the request of his son who gave me sparse details - including the wrong name for his own mother!!! It does happen.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The problem is when people start delving into their family history, they find granny's birth certificate which gives her name as Sarah Jane Brown say but don't realise that she was called Jane Brown throughout her life for example!!

A little knowledge can be a bad thing...................................

SDGW lists 25 or so soldiers who are recorded as having died before the war had even begun - some of them in January, 1914!

Does anyone know if these are straight transcriptions of errors in the original volumes? (I understand that the publishers of the CD version had decided not to correct any errors, even the obvious ones.) Or are they "new" errors introduced when the data was trasferred to CD-ROM?

Tom

I had a written exchange with the publishers when the SDGW CD first came out about these 'pre-war' errors and at least one dated in fairly recent years!

They said that they were all in the original bar one which would be corrected when a new edition was produced.

According to her his Mother's name recorded is incorrect. I did tell to her to contact the CWGC with proof.

Many thanks for all the replies. Also I have a couple of men who's details (ages names etc.) are recorded incorectly on CWGC if I contact the with birth certs of those men will they correct it ? Even though I amn't related.

Cheers

Conor

Conor

CWGC will always change these details if they have evidence.

The process for you is twofold. Having the birth certificate is the first step but you also will then have to prove it is the same person as appears in their database - not always easy.

The death certificate is usually better as it gives later n-o-k details, address etc as well as military unit.

Contact them with the details on casualtyenq@cwgc.org . If you want to email me the details off-Forum, I'd be happy to help if I can.

I had a written exchange with the publishers when the SDGW CD first came out about these 'pre-war' errors and at least one dated in fairly recent years!

They said that they were all in the original bar one which would be corrected when a new edition was produced.

Thanks, Terry, I've often wondered about this. (I always assumed that they were "original" mistakes as there were so many of them.)

Tom