Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte, ROBERT WILSON BROCKLEBANK DURHAM LIGHT INFANN

Guest bobypam43

Robert Wilson Brocklebank, Ptr 8th. Bn Durham Light Infantry

Died 27th March 1918 The month the Germand captured Eterpigny.

Buried ETERPIGNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY THE EXTENSION A926

Robert was my Grandauncle,and would there be any records on that area i the day he was killed. Also what are the chances of getting a service medal of his,

From SDGW:

73345 Pte Robert Wilson Brocklebank

1/5th Bn Durham Light Infantry

Born: Boldon Colliery

Enlisted: Jarrow

Residence: Hebburn

Killed in Action: 27 March 1918

would there be any records on that area i the day he was killed. Also what are the chances of getting a service medal of his,

Records for the day he was killed could be found in the Bn War Diary held at the National Archives (formerly the PRO) at Kew and ,possibly at the DLI museum in Durham. Info could also be found in the regimental history (which are commonly based on these diaries anyway), possibly also available at the museum and maybe( but I don't think so - not yet anyway) from the Naval and Military Press.

There may also be an obituary (sometimes with a photo and other details) in the local newspaper from the area your Granduncle lived. Check out the archives for this paper (commonly held in the local library) for all the dates approx. 2 weeks to a month or so after his death. This may be unsuccessful as they seemed rather selective as the war wore on.

As for finding his medals - who knows? There's been 2 cases of it happening on this forum within the last year and it was the name that attracted me to this thread. Unfortunately, my death plaque is to a Richard Addison Brocklebank (a Canadian).

Hope this is of some help.

Dave.

There is a very good book called -The Fifth Battalion Durham Light Infantry 1914-1918. Wrote by Major A.LRaimes. D.S.O. TD. (1931) an ex serving officer in the Fifth battalion.

I do not own acopy, but my local libary(refrance section) have acopy.

So whilst out shopping this morning i had a quick look.

Robert is mentioned in the roll of honour for the Battalion, and i took down ashort version of what happened on the 27th March 1918.

Dawn broke on the 27th with the 1/5th(2 companies) covering Rosiers Station.

In the centre between Rosiers & Vauvillers a diaster nearly took place through one of those misunderstandings that occur in every prolonged retreat, Provisional orders for afurther withdrawal were telephoned to the headquarters of the 5th Northumberland Fusilers and were understood as definite orders to withdraw forthwith.

Before long a considerable section of the line was falling back towards Harbonnieres. The1/5th fixed on the Railway bridge South of Harbonnieres as a first rallying point.

Meanwhile Colonel Anstey galloped in the direction of Rosieres to stop the retirement and to get the line formed further along the light railway.

There was no panic and on receipt of orders we quietly took up our positions and watched with interest the counter attack which we could see developing a mile away. After awhile orderds were passed along telling us to advance in line with the counter attack on our left.

We pushed on platoon by platoon and section by section in quite the old fieldday style, the men firing freely at the Germans, who could now be seen advancing towards us, five or six hundred yards away. We came under machinegun fire and had many casualties and as one looked at the level ground behind one could see the motionless forms of many men who had fought there last fight. After awhile we could see the enemy halt and turn back through the trees near Vauvillers. We continued to take many casualties eventually the resistance of the enemy broke down.

The ground covered could not be held however and when the Germans attacked again in great force, Vauvillers again fell and the British line was forced back to the light railway, where there remained till dusk ended ahard days fighting.

Like i said a very short version of what is wrote in this very good book about the Fifth Battalion from digging trenches at Redcar to the end of the war, written by an Officer that was part of it.

Anyway hope this is of some help.

Regards and best wishes for ahappy new year. Kevin

To Lee, Croonaert and Kevin

Thanks to all of you for promptly offering advice and help.

Kevin that book would not be in print now? I may have a reli in South Shields who could read it for me. Can anyone go to read iit as I'm hungry for any more info on Robert,I can get. Also I have three more relis, one killed and two gassed,but survived. Should I post each separetly if I seek more info?

Happy and healthy 2004 to all

Bob

Bob feel free to post, separetly would be best.

Regards Kevin