Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What do we know about Rouen?

Jerrymurland

Barbara

It appears on the early Rouen map I have [November 1914] at the Racecourse, but that's no proof it was working while there

Sue

Sue

It was working. Before the close of the battle of the Aisne, at Rouen Nos 8 and 12 General Hospitals were open but others were being tranferred there. No 8 Stationery Hospital was one of them, early Nov, and was acting as a convalescent depot for Indians. The depot was taken over by an Indian hospital unit so No 8 Stationery Hospital was closed and eventually transferred to Boulogne.

Gosh, I've done some reading but I got there. I also found other locations I can add :D Thought you might be interested to know.

Barbara

Well done Barbara and thank you - I think the official list of locations of units is well on the way to being revised! And looking at the time of your posting, you've been acting way beyond the call of duty. :)

Sue

I think the official list of locations of units is well on the way to being revised!

I hope we'll all get a copy of the revised list Barbara?

Jerry

Of course.

Judging from the time it took to find that snippet of information, it could be a long time coming though :blush: I do have a fair bit recorded already but as with all things RAMC the information is utterly scattered.

Barbara

Rouen was the site of No.25 Stationary Hospital. My grandfather was there from 28th August 1917 until 22nd October 1917, as shown on his Casualty Form below.

153245168-L.jpg

If this has not been mentioned, No. 8 Canadian Stationary Hospital arrived at Rouen on 2 November 1918, having moved from Charmes (Vosges). They were quartered at the Cyclist Corps Depot until they could set up. The Armistice intervened, and on 12 November they were ordered to Dunkirque.

• 4 weeks later...

My husband's grandfather died in Rouen on October 22, 1918 in the number 11 stationary hospital and is buried in St. Severn Cemetary extension. He was with the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles. I have been trying to find out more about the hospitals and the general layout of Rouen during that time. Some of the posts have been quite helfpul.

He died as a result of a motor vehicle accident and we are fortunate to have the record of the commission of inquiry held shortley after. He had just finished a course at general headquarters and was headed back to his regiment. He was a "motor driver" so I am wondering what kind of course he would have been on.

• 1 year later...
I'm trying to get a picture for a piece I'm wiriting about the role of Rouen as a base depot in the Great War. If everyone could add their bit - no matter how small or seemingly inconsequencial - it will help me build up a picture. So far I have:

Commonwealth camps and hospitals were stationed on the southern outskirts of Rouen. A base supply depot and the 3rd Echelon of General Headquarters were also established in the city. Almost all of the hospitals at Rouen remained there for practically the whole of the war. They included eight general, five stationary, one British Red Cross and one labour hospital, and No. 2 Convalescent Depot

In the champ de courses on the outskirts of Rouen, the British established Number 12 General Hospital, British Expeditionary Force, in 1914. This was taken over by the American Medical Service on June 12, to replace the British staff. This was a 1,350-bed hospital, almost completely made up of tents. Two other hospitals were operated within the racetrack. One was a British hospital for captured, wounded enemy prisoners and British prisoners who had self-inflicted wounds. And the third was a British colonial hospital.

No. 1 Australian General Hospital at also at Rouen

Info on infantry base depots, RE depots etc gladly received.

Remember anything you know about the place, references in published material etc will help build up the overall picture.

Thanks

Jerry

Jerry;

I bring here my little info. I am french, leaving in Bois Guillaume just north of Rouen. We have here an hospital which was during WW1: hospital N° 8

This place was too smal and extension were built around.

500m away, there was a rather large private house which had been for sale in july 1914 and i beleive it remained empty;

this house was thus transformed into what was called : Sister Hospital and in its garden a number of wooden barracks were erected in which the soldiers were sheltered. I have postcards whith a picture of this house at that time.

This house has been modified but it still exists; this is where i live to day.

Would you have some info about the existence and the running of that place during the war?

Another bit of info; there is a golf course close by, in Mont Saint Aignan; the club house, I was told, was built by the British army during WW1 and it still exists. (to be checked)

regards from Philippe

Hallo Philippe

Is the house the one at 2 Rue Bouquet, or was that a different place? 2 Rue Bouquet was used as a Hostel for Nursing Sisters who were either passing through Rouen, or staying there for a short time.

Regards --- Sue

No, I think I'm wrong - your house was probably the Sick Sisters' Hospital, and not the visiting Sisters' Hostel - I'd be very interested to know the exact position of the Sick Sisters' Hospital

Thanks - Sue

According to my Great-grandfather's service record he was wounded on 21st March 1918 (Op Michael?) and he recovered at 3rd General Hospital Rouen. (He's the one in the centre of this picture which I presume to be taken at Rouen Hospital. Please correct me if anyone recognises this is not the place)

2157673685_e03a002c02_o.jpg

Norrette

Rouen Cathedral was painted extensively by Monet (who gave a huge water lily painting to France as his personal war memorial) and frequented by all stationed in Rouen. It dominates the landscape now as back in 14' to '18. Cheers, Bill

Early morning over Rouen, hopeful, high, courageous morning,

Can you forget returning slowly, stumbling on the cobbles,

And the white-decked Red Cross barges dropping seawards for the tide,

May Wedderburn Cannan

She certainly got the bit about the tides right! From Rouen to Le Havre the Seine is tidal (as opposed to canalized). I can say from personal experience you need to get the tides figured out BEFORE heading down the Seine to Le Havre! Ditto coming into Rouen from the sea. Time it wrong and you're scuppered! Cheers, Bill

Sue

I think I have the address for No 8 General Hospital but it is all in French. It reads:-

Hopital No 8 General de Bois-Gullaumme, 28 route de Neufchatel.

(ancien etablissement Hoin Lambert, les <<Midinettes>>)

(16 Aout 1914 - mai 1919)

(+ Sick Sisters Hospital, direction de l'hopital des infirmiers, place de l'Eglise)

Just out of interest, have you any idea how the name 'Sick Sisters Hospital' came about?

Barbara

Thanks Barbara - I can find that on the map, and it's a good step or two from Rue Bouquet, but at least I can pinpoint them both now.

'Sick Sisters' Hospital' was just the term the British Army used for its units for ... well ... sick nursing sisters, even before the war, although in wartime they looked after untrained nursing staff as well (VADs). In London there was the Sick Sisters' Hospital in Vincent Square, and in France during the Great War every Base had one. They were normally separate buildings away from main hospitals, but were administered by one of the General Hospitals in the town. In Etaples for instance, the Sick Sisters' Hospital was at Villa Tino in Le Touquet, but the staff and medical officers attached/visiting from No.24 General, Etaples, which was not particularly close by. And in Rouen obviously it was No.8 General that took that responsibility.

Sue

Thanks Sue

Dad had No 8 General Hospital recorded as the Sick Sisters Hospital but the address comes from French documents of the soldiers that died in that hospital, not nursing sisters, which is why I was confused. It is all clear now.

Barbara

Hallo Philippe

Is the house the one at 2 Rue Bouquet, or was that a different place? 2 Rue Bouquet was used as a Hostel for Nursing Sisters who were either passing through Rouen, or staying there for a short time.

Regards --- Sue

No, I think I'm wrong - your house was probably the Sick Sisters' Hospital, and not the visiting Sisters' Hostel - I'd be very interested to know the exact position of the Sick Sisters' Hospital

Thanks - Sue

My house is called on the postcards that I have: "Bois Guillaume près Rouen; Sister Hospital" ; and it is located place de l'église;

Thus i can see from Barbara that it is the Sick sister hospital. I believe it reported to General Hospital N°8, located route de Neufchâtel, 500 meters away.

Does this title of sick sisters hospital means that it was used for sisters with a disease or for sick soldiers. On my postcard, i can see men soldiers sitting outside of small wooden houses.

In the cellar of my house there are still two signatures written on the ceiling with candle smoke. One says: W.A.A.C Charles; the other one, i cannot read exactly but it ends with A.P.I

Rue Bouquet is close to the railway station where the people would stay when arriving in Rouen

regards

philippe

Philippe

It's hard to know the exact sequence of events, but I've looked through the war diary of the Matron-in-Chief, and tried to work it out.

No.8 General Hospital arrived in Rouen in September 1914 and took over the buildings originally occupied by No.3 General Hospital. At that time all nursing sisters who were ill were looked after at No.2 Red Cross Officers' Hospital, also in Rouen.

At the beginning of February 1915, sick nursing sisters who were either with Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service or the Territorial Force Nursing Service were no longer nursed at No.2 Red Cross Hospital, but actually in the main buildings of No.8 General Hospital.

At some time either at the end of 1915 or early 1916 the buildings at Place de l'église were taken over for use by the Sick Sisters' Hospital. So up until that time it might have been used for soldiers, but I feel fairly certain that it was not used by any male soldiers after it became the Sick Sisters' Hospital. The buildings used were purposely set away from main hospitals, so that the women could have privacy, could walk and relax, and were not likely to come face to face with men!

The women who were nursed there were from the staff of all the hospitals in Rouen who needed medical care, but excluding the nurses from the British Red Cross Hospitals who continued to be nursed at the Officers' Hospital. They could have been suffering from any illness, or convalescing after surgery which would have been done at No.8 General. Some would have eventually returned to duty, and some evacuated to the United Kingdom for sick leave/convalescence. From 1917, the women also included members of the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) so Miss Charles would have been a member of the WAAC, but not a nurse.

Perhaps your photo was taken while the house was in use by men, before the women moved in, but was published later in the war when it had been taken over as the Sick Sisters' Hospital, and was named accordingly. You can be sure that the women brought some elegance and charm to your house while they were there!

Best wishes --- Sue

Philippe

It's hard to know the exact sequence of events, but I've looked through the war diary of the Matron-in-Chief, and tried to work it out.

No.8 General Hospital arrived in Rouen in September 1914 and took over the buildings originally occupied by No.3 General Hospital. At that time all nursing sisters who were ill were looked after at No.2 Red Cross Officers' Hospital, also in Rouen.

At the beginning of February 1915, sick nursing sisters who were either with Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service or the Territorial Force Nursing Service were no longer nursed at No.2 Red Cross Hospital, but actually in the main buildings of No.8 General Hospital.

At some time either at the end of 1915 or early 1916 the buildings at Place de l'église were taken over for use by the Sick Sisters' Hospital. So up until that time it might have been used for soldiers, but I feel fairly certain that it was not used by any male soldiers after it became the Sick Sisters' Hospital. The buildings used were purposely set away from main hospitals, so that the women could have privacy, could walk and relax, and were not likely to come face to face with men!

The women who were nursed there were from the staff of all the hospitals in Rouen who needed medical care, but excluding the nurses from the British Red Cross Hospitals who continued to be nursed at the Officers' Hospital. They could have been suffering from any illness, or convalescing after surgery which would have been done at No.8 General. Some would have eventually returned to duty, and some evacuated to the United Kingdom for sick leave/convalescence. From 1917, the women also included members of the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) so Miss Charles would have been a member of the WAAC, but not a nurse.

Perhaps your photo was taken while the house was in use by men, before the women moved in, but was published later in the war when it had been taken over as the Sick Sisters' Hospital, and was named accordingly. You can be sure that the women brought some elegance and charm to your house while they were there!

Best wishes --- Sue

Sue,

Thank you so much for your very detailed reply which gives me the sequence in which my house might have been used for during the war. And i can think of the nurses walking in the garden, a much better view than the german soldiers during WWII!

What you say seems very logic especially with General Hospital close by. And my congratulations for your deep knowledge!!

Now, with your infos, I will go to archives of the city of Rouen to find out wether I can read more about this

Kind regards

Philippe

Philippe

Best wishes --- Sue

Sue, I forgot to tell you where exactly this house is:

In the middle of Bois-Guillaume, 100m east of the local church.

Kind regards

Philippe

Hi,

Here are some mentions of Rouen by Sergeant J McIlwain of the Connaught Rangers in his diary of his time spent there. (IWM, 96/29/1)

Regards Mark

15th Sept 1918 Informed I have to go to 3rd Echelon, Rouen, next morning.

16th Sept 1918 Left Fontinettes Station by train at 10am. Pass Boulogne 2.30pm. At night after we left Etaples suddenly met heavy rain and thunder storm and I had difficulty in closing door of our horse box.

17th Sept 1918 Rouen at 7am. Reported at Arshiveche. Then to Madrillet Camp, No.1 Infantry S.F.C.N.. Conditions good and feel content except for relations with Downs who feels hurt. Later Cork sec. moved to No,2 Inf Sec. Battn. at present is at Base a “Malarial” unit.

8th-10th Sept 1918 Following the big allied successes and the breaking up of Germans, battn. gets into action and has heavy casualties at Le Cateau. I am busy in consequence, working from 9am till 1am for a few days, entering documents, verifying and reporting casualties. The 5th is made 2nd Bn. For services in the big battle.

11th Nov 1918 Armistice signed. Germany beaten. Bells, buzzers etc. in town at 11am. Went out in afternoon. Great sights.

23rd Nov 1918 Went with others to 2nd Lt. Caldicott to protest about circular re punishment for not shaving etc. Two days after lecture by Lt. Col. Carstairs our C.O. about Bolshevism. British Prussianism afraid of being upset.

5th Dec 1918 Authority issued for my promotion to W.O. Class II (Q.M.S.). Have fairly pleasant time in Rouen from now onwards. Light work. Wals in evening with Atkinson (Munsters). Y.M.CA. Library Place Carnot, study a little. Introduced to Bronte books.I take part in agitation for demobilisation and am branded Bolshie.

XMAS Clear fosty day. Good dinner. Afternoon in bed. Evening walk to Foret Vert.

3rd May 1919 Echelon broken up. Hand over records to new section to be established at Wimereux. Have jolly time no responsibility. Packing up for Home Records, Cork.

6th May 1919 Left Rue Vert station at 10am. Havre, sailed 8.30pm S.S. St. David. Southampton 8am 7th.

Sue

I think I have the address for No 8 General Hospital but it is all in French. It reads:-

Hopital No 8 General de Bois-Gullaumme, 28 route de Neufchatel.

(ancien etablissement Hoin Lambert, les <<Midinettes>>)

(16 Aout 1914 - mai 1919)

(+ Sick Sisters Hospital, direction de l'hopital des infirmiers, place de l'Eglise)

Just out of interest, have you any idea how the name 'Sick Sisters Hospital' came about?

Barbara

Hopital N° 8, 28 route de Neufchatel; was in the early 1900 a school: institution Join Lambert; then it became a "maison de repos" for elderly people I believe, then it became Hospital N° 8; The place still exists and I have post cards taken around 1912 or so

regards

philippe

Thanks Philippe. I am gradually building up profiles on the hospitals in Rouen so will add the information above. I am hoping to get to Rouen one day soon so it is really helpful to know that the building still exist.

All the best

Barbara

Thanks Philippe. I am gradually building up profiles on the hospitals in Rouen so will add the information above. I am hoping to get to Rouen one day soon so it is really helpful to know that the building still exist.

All the best

Barbara

If I can be of help, do not hesitate to ask me

kind regards

Philippe