Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Names of 35 Girls Killed at Barnbow Needed Please.

taddy

Good afternoon Peter,

When I was up at Crossgates I only took a snap of Elsie Bruce and Mary Carter's plague as they where main interest at the time, I have now as we all have done broadend my interest in those lasses, and I visited a few of them last weekend to place poppies on their graves or where unmarked at the site of the grave.

The cemeteries people at Harrogate, Wakefield councils have been brilliant with there help.

That site at Crossgates is where the trams used to turn around and I believe there used to be a public loo at that point, I must say it looks better as it is now.

Cheers Roger.

Grew up nearby and had relatives working there, I used to work opposite and watch the tanks, I also have taken the memorial list, I hope that is okay as its something I knew about but didn't know their names.

Barbara..

Hi there Barbara,

The more the merrier that remembers those lasses and lads at Barnbow.

Cheers Roger.

• 5 months later...
Guest yuppy_au

Eliza Grant was my great great aunt.

According to information passed on to me, the death notice from the Pontefract & Castleford Express of Friday December 15th, Eliza Grant was interred at the Allerton Bywater Churchyard.

I've no idea whether her grave is marked with a headstone or not.

This is all the information I have at the moment.

Carol

South Australia

Hi there Carol,

I have only just picked up on your thread,according to another source she is buried in an unmarked grave at the Churchyard, but if i get chance this week I will try and find out for you.

Cheers Roger.

Carol,

Go to the Cemeteries and Memorials section and under the thread "Barnbow workers remembered" you will find Posts 2-4 on 22-25 June 2007 relate, among other topics to Eliza Grant. You can achieve this by the Site "Search" facility.

Give my regards to your father.Tell him to get on line.

• 3 years later...

The thread has lain dormant for quite a while now but today I was at Headingley War Memorial and listed on one of the panels is an Emma Keyworth.

Could it be that the M Keyworth listed previously was actually Emma, or has a name with an M initial been established for her?

Cheers,

Nigel

• 3 years later...

Hi

I am late coming to the subject of the 35 killed at Barnbow and, whilst I have their names, that is all I have.

It seems some on this forum have gone further with photographs of burial sites etc and was hoping they might share them with me?

Any help will be appreciated,

thanks

Hello Rex,

Can't help with the burial sites but the Leodis website has some photographs of the explosion aftermath and injured survivors if it might add to your research.

Mick.

http://www.leodis.net/searchResults.aspx?LOCID=0&DECADE=0&YEAR=&KEYWORDS=Barnbow&KEYWORDS2=&KEYWORDS3=&ANDOR2=&ANDOR3=&RECSPAGE=5&VIEW=1&CURRPAGE=1

Just revisited this thread and noticed "Preston" in relation to the home of Ms Bamber.

Great Preston and Little Preston were small mining villages on the Swillington-Allerton Bywater route to Leeds from Castleford .If I recollect correctly, the two Prestons being close together were generally referred to as "Preston"

Hi

I am late coming to the subject of the 35 killed at Barnbow and, whilst I have their names, that is all I have.

It seems some on this forum have gone further with photographs of burial sites etc and was hoping they might share them with me?

Any help will be appreciated,

thanks

I am one who has gone further and researched the Barnbow girl casualties.

• 3 months later...

In the course of my own research, one of the soldiers I've been looking at was;

3793 Rifleman William Bainbridge, 3/8th West Yorkshire Regiment (Leeds Rifles).

He was discharged from the Army, sick, and in his medical report, dated 6th December 1916, there is the line, 'Very hard case! His wife was killed last night at Barnbow explosion and he has 4 children - eldest 9. He is extremely ill and <three illegible words>'.

Rfn Bainbridge was a patient at East Leeds War Hospital (St James's) at the time. His wife was called Kate (Catherine), and was 40 when she died.

They lived at 38 Ward's Fold, Mabgate, Leeds.

William Bainbridge died a little over a year after his wife, aged 48 and he is buried alone in Pontefract Cemetery under a standard CWGC limestone stone.

• 9 months later...

Hi

Has anyone any information concerning Olive Yeates and where she was buried?

Grove Road Cemetery; Harrogate, sec.E; plot 1109

• 7 months later...
Guest Vanessa McKnight
On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2015 at 13:28, Dogflud said:

In the course of my own research, one of the soldiers I've been looking at was;

3793 Rifleman William Bainbridge, 3/8th West Yorkshire Regiment (Leeds Rifles).

He was discharged from the Army, sick, and in his medical report, dated 6th December 1916, there is the line, 'Very hard case! His wife was killed last night at Barnbow explosion and he has 4 children - eldest 9. He is extremely ill and <three illegible words>'.

Rfn Bainbridge was a patient at East Leeds War Hospital (St James's) at the time. His wife was called Kate (Catherine), and was 40 when she died.

They lived at 38 Ward's Fold, Mabgate, Leeds.

William Bainbridge died a little over a year after his wife, aged 48 and he is buried alone in Pontefract Cemetery under a standard CWGC limestone stone.

I am the Great Grand-daughter of William and Kate Bainbridge. I believe my family have never seen a photo of Kate Bainbridge, prior to her death and was wondering if anyone may have one? I also have limited contacted with my mother therefore know very little about this situation, only know that my grandfather apparently always referred to himself as an orphan after this tragedy, he was only small. I never met him either as he died before I was born. Dogflud - where did you access this information in relation to William. I would love to be able to access these records and find out anything more about either of them. Kate is buried in Seacroft Cemetery (Killingbeck) and her grave site has offered a place of sanctuary to my eldest sister in times of need.  Thank you for information re where William's burial - I will certainly visit.

Edited by Vanessa McKnight

Vanessa, further information related to your Great Great Grandfather 

The CWGC burials are located at the bottom of Pontefract cemetery in a somewhat shaded area close to the the railway line.The cemetery is situated on Skinner Lane, actually a normal road with the entrance to the cemetery being at the top,close to the town and opposite the Morrison Supermarket.

William Bainbridge's father, William is shown as living at 4,Fox Terrace,Old Church Pontefract at the time of his son's death.The Terrace was between North Bailygate and Grange Field which is behind the Old Church (All Saints Church situated off the north side of the A 645,the Goole road via Knottingley) The casualty William Bainbridge is shown as being born in Leeds.I am not sure if Fox Terrace still exists

Interestingly,4 Fox Terrace is also recorded as being the NOK home of another casualty,Private William Moran of the York and Lancaster Regiment who died on 23 October 1918 aged 42 and is also buried in Pontefract cemetery He is recorded as being the son of Michael and Ellen Moran.They may have been co tenants or been related to the Bainbridges.

Regarding the Barnbow explosion,I have been told that there is to be a memorial service to mark the centenary at the Crossgates,Leeds, Barnbow Memorial in December... there might be some publicity in the Yorkshire Post regarding the event. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Vanessa,

I found the information in the Dept of Pensions papers for William Bainbridge, on Ancestry.

Cheers,

Nigel

IMG_1860.JPG

• 2 months later...

@Dogflud and @Vanessa McKnight

So happy to see this info! I'm William Bainbridge's great great grandson and been looking for Kate's grave too! So happy to see the location posted!

Vanessa, are you Arthur, Fred or Albert's granddaughter?

I'm come along through Kate's daughter Doris, Doris' daughter, Shirley, is my grandma

On 11/11/2016 at 12:20, Vanessa McKnight said:

I am the Great Grand-daughter of William and Kate Bainbridge. I believe my family have never seen a photo of Kate Bainbridge, prior to her death and was wondering if anyone may have one? I also have limited contacted with my mother therefore know very little about this situation, only know that my grandfather apparently always referred to himself as an orphan after this tragedy, he was only small. I never met him either as he died before I was born. Dogflud - where did you access this information in relation to William. I would love to be able to access these records and find out anything more about either of them. Kate is buried in Seacroft Cemetery (Killingbeck) and her grave site has offered a place of sanctuary to my eldest sister in times of need.  Thank you for information re where William's burial - I will certainly visit.

Edited by Guest

• 1 year later...
On 16/06/2007 at 20:06, johnreed said:

Please find attached Word Document as promised.

John

ROLL_OF_HONOUR.doc

Thanks for this list. Appreciate you sharing it, I'm particularly interested in Ida Worslop. Do you know any more about her?  Thanks.

• 4 years later...

Dinah Bamber's death was registered in Lancaster, so it would seem she was not a Barnbow worker.

If the relations to Kate and William Bainbridge still see updates to this thread, they might want to see a blog post I wrote about the December 1916 explosion at Barnbow, which killed Kate and her colleagues. Find it here: The Barnbow Explosion - December 1916, and its devastation of a Leeds Family (marshallsbattlefields.com)

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Marshall

On 07/04/2023 at 13:01, Nigel Marshall said:

Dinah Bamber's death was registered in Lancaster, so it would seem she was not a Barnbow worker.

If the relations to Kate and William Bainbridge still see updates to this thread, they might want to see a blog post I wrote about the December 1916 explosion at Barnbow, which killed Kate and her colleagues. Find it here: The Barnbow Explosion - December 1916, and its devastation of a Leeds Family (marshallsbattlefields.com)

Nigel

Dinah Bamber died at the Vickers projectile factory, Lancaster.

• 9 months later...
On 17/07/2011 at 22:07, Nigel Marshall said:

The thread has lain dormant for quite a while now but today I was at Headingley War Memorial and listed on one of the panels is an Emma Keyworth.

Could it be that the M Keyworth listed previously was actually Emma, or has a name with an M initial been established for her?

Cheers,

Nigel

She seems to have been called “ Emmie” by her family.