Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Names of 35 Girls Killed at Barnbow Needed Please.

taddy

Hi,

Would any one please have a list of the 35 girls killed in the munitions accident at Barnbow near Crossgates. And if possible where from Yorkshire each girl was from.

It has been mentioned in the past on this forum that two are remembered on a memorial in Pontefract, however i understand that some girls were from York, Leeds etc. and i cannot seem to find any more details regarding the girls.

Does anyone know which memorials these girls were remembered on and where their final resting places were.

Thank You Dave.

The lady who has all this information is called Ann Batchelor and is the expert on this.

She has done extensive research on this incident and indeed has been published (only in booklet form though I understand).

There is a memorial to the Barnbow Canaries as they were known in Leeds itself but they are also commemorated in York Minster.

Unfortunately I don't have any contact details for Ann (although she did speak to us on the Barnbow Canaries at out local family history meeting back in April) but I do know she advertises on teletext (under family history) and I believe she includes (possibly) her telephone number on there (she doesn't have email).

There may be others on this forum (Annherself isn't a member) who has this information for you as well/instead of.

If you get no joy locating her details pm me and I will get her contact details from our Speaker Finder.

Kim

I have a full list and where they came from, these are the ladies which lost their lives in 5th December 1916 at he moment I am busy but will post their names whithin the next 90 minutes.

John

John

Although I did not request the document I am grateful that you posted it and I will acknowledge it to you in my records. Most grateful.

Cheers, Tony

I am a bit surprised the names aren't more widely available on the net. A while back I was looking for the names of the girls from Wakefield and Pontefract and wasn't able to find them.

Mick

There should be a full list on the GWF somewhere. The following three are listed on the Templenewsam War Memorial, Selby Road, Leeds. There's also the Lych Gate at St. Mary's Church, Whitkirk [Leeds]

MUNITIONS

Jackson, Ethel, A.

Kettlewell, Albert E.

Rowley, Maria E.

Cheers,

Dave

I have photos of the individual names on the Barnbow Memorial, and I have visited as many of the graves as I could, to help Jim Strawbridge's project.

Sadly, as many were from poor working class families, they are buried in common graves with no headstone. One exception being the kindness and generosity of the then Monumental Mason for York Cemetery who donated a headstone.

(Photo attached)

Please PM me if you need any photos.

post-7183-1182066312.jpg

Hi there Dave,

I looked at this subject over the winter for a friend, and what I noticed was that quite a lot of them where registered for death at the the Tadcaster register office, which as since been absorbed into Barkston Ash then Leeds and thats where they now lie.

Sorry I can't be more specific, apaert from Elsie Bruce who is named on the Sharlston War Memorial.

Cheers Roger.

Hello Dave,

I don't know if it is still on display at Crossgates Library, but there was an exhibition of material relating to the girls killed in the munitions accident at Barnbow near Crossgates. If you contact the Library they may be able to provide additional information.

Regards

Ron

Peter

The only observation I can make over the article is that the photo of after ther explosion is not of Room 42 which occured on 5th December 1916 but of the Mixing Shed where the explosion on 31st May 1918 when three men were killed and 10 other workpeople were injured.

John

There should be a full list on the GWF somewhere. The following three are listed on the Templenewsam War Memorial, Selby Road, Leeds. There's also the Lych Gate at St. Mary's Church, Whitkirk [Leeds]

MUNITIONS

Jackson, Ethel, A.

Kettlewell, Albert E.

Rowley, Maria E.

Cheers,

Dave

You beat me to it Dave!

You can contact the East Leeds Historical and Archaeology Society via the Hon Secretary, Ms J Lawrence by sending an email to el.has@ntlworld.com

Regards,

Nigel

ps Did I ever tell you I used to work at the Vickers Barnbow site?

Cheers Nigel,

I believe ELHAS was also instrumental in the raising of the memorial to the munition workers a couple of years back. They hold their meetings between Crossgates Library and the Methodist Church at the opposite side of the road.

Barnbow? Secret Shop? :lol:

All the Best

Dave

Barnbow? Secret Shop? :lol:

I was one of the overhead crane crew in the Secret Shop!!! :ph34r:

I was on Turrets from 1997-99 - the bald one, one of the bald ones! ;)

Nigel

My Dad worked in the same shed from 1978 to 1989 when he took redundancy. He was a stores labourer. Good head of hair. :lol: Looked like a cross between Danny Kaye and Gene Wilder when he was younger. :lol:

Cheers,

Dave

In Leeds in the Great War is mentioned an unpublished 'Record of the National Ordnance factories in Leeds' by Major R Harrison Archibald. Does it still exist?

Mick

I worked at the old Barnbow ordnance factory or R.O.F. Leeds as it was officially known, from 1974 'til Christmas 1987. I never made the transition to the new Vickers plant, which I understand only the test track is used these days? The old buildings were demolished and the land cleared. It's quite spooky driving past the old Austhorpe Lane entrance with it's rusting locked gate and wasteland beyond. :(

To All

Thank you for all the replys and the information you have posted regarding the girls, will check out the Cross Gates Library sometime this week, and will contact Ann Batchelor regarding the booklet.

Johnreed Thanks for the list of names incredible that the modern medium of the internet does not have them listed somewhere Nigel (Dogflu) i think this is a page on your site it is in your area Scholes after all ill PM you.

Peter thanks for the photo from York Cemetery if we do get a website for these girls under way i wonder if you would donate the pictures of the final resting place with acknowledgment obviousley.

Will check out all other info you have all posted thanks.

As a foot note i checked the local papers at York Library yesterday and came across article in Yorkshire Herald published just after the explosion.

A photo of a floral tribute subscribed by 400 women workers "On War Service " Photos and a small piece on the folowing ladys:

Gertrude Reed 27 years of age native of Staffordshire her husband pvt Geofrey Reed was a prisoner of War in Germany West Yorkshires captured at Mons. She was it said intered somewhere in the South of England.

Mary Elizabeth Carter Aged 22 Buried in York Cemetery wife of lance Corporal W. Carter.

Elizabeth Mason Buried York Cemetery left Husband and 5 children

M. F. Worthy buried York Cemetery, left Husband and 10 children 7 under 14 years of age.

As for working at Barnbow my Uncle worked there which just goes to show what huge impact that Barnbow had on Leeds and the surrounding area, and unbelievably when i tell my workmates about the factory and the explosion it is the first time they have heard it.

Finally i have one more question and i will be posting that under Cemeteries and Memorials as i believe that is where it belongs.

Once again thanks

Dave

Dave,

I'd be more than happy to devote a page on my site to the girls, be it a permanent thing or a temporary one until a dedicated site can be put together.

I'll wait for your PM mate and then we can talk it over.

Nigel

Please find attached Word Document as promised.

John

John

Have tried three times to send this by PM but it keeps getting rejected, However' do it this way.

I have created a chart of the 35 unfortunate ladies of Barnbow to enter relevant details as and when they come up, hopefully to produce a complete picture.

Regarding the 'ROLL OF HONOUR' that you posted on 16th, do I assume correctly that the towns listed beside their names are their hometowns? Can I also assume that is where they are buried or would some be buried elsewhere?

I have photos of gravesites for Keyworth - Atkinson - Whiteley - Sykes - Eastment - Wortley - Mason & Rowley. is it possible that you would have any others.

Cheers, Tony

Edith Sykes is the only one I can find who merits a mention in The National Roll of the Great War section VII Leeds.

Mick