Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Scottish

tommie

• 1 month later...

Hi Tom

If you have the time I would love to see anything about, 2943, Lance Corporal Arthur Bertram Hogben, DoW 14 Oct 1915.

He was a native of Forest Gate, London, he is in Lapugnoy Military Cemetery, France.

Thank you.

Tim.

• 4 months later...

Tom

Any info on this chap would be appreciated

Name: DAVEY

Initials: C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: London Regiment (London Scottish)

Unit Text: 2nd/14th Bn.

Date of Death: 08/12/1917

Service No: 512203

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: T. 92.

Cemetery: JERUSALEM WAR CEMETERY, Israel

Many thanks

Glyn

• 1 month later...

Tom,

I would be very greatful if you could see if this guy is listed

Name: AIREY, Thomas Arthur

Regiment: London Regiment (London Scottish)

Unit Text: 1st/14th Bn

Date of Death: 01/07/1916 - at Gommecourt

Service No: 8109

Additional Information: Son of Thomas and Fanny Airey, of Moorthwaite, Barbon, Westmorland

Memorial: Thiepval

Supplementary Notes: Formerly 6689, 28th London Regiment

Much appreciated

Oli

• 2 weeks later...

This might be a long shot but here goes

If you could have a look i would much appreciate it.

Medal card of Gravestock, William

Corps: 14th London Regiment

Regiment No: 6505

Died 1/7/1916

Regards

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

post-13002-1205700676.jpg

Everyone else,

I must have missed these posts I have been otherwise engaged with Royal Scot bits n bobs, and just forgot about this post, anyone else wishing look ups from the London Scottish Gazette please PM me as well as post, my memory is not all that good.

Will get a good look for the others posted above on Tuesday.

Tom

Hi - I would be really grateful if you could have a look for this soldier:

3434 Corporal Leslie Vivian Barnes. Went to France with 2nd Bttn on 22 June 1916. I have found two other enlistments 3287 Thomas Barrie (enlisted 17/09/1914) and 3460 Colin Cameron (enlisted 05/11/1914), so I assume Barnes was a late October/early November 1914 enlistment.

I doubt he served in France with 2/14th very long as he is referred to as Cadet LV Barnes to be Temp 2/Lt on probation (att) (25/10/1916) in the December 1916 issue of the Queen’s Own (Royal West Kent Regt) Gazette. Wounded circa May 1917, promoted T/Lt with seniority 25/4/1918.

I think is Service File exists as PRO file WO374/4081 – this refers to Capt LV Barnes – but there does not appear to be another junior officer named LV Barnes on MIC.

I don’t know if the London Scottish Gazette would mention him in November 1914 as an enlistment, or around October 1916 as commissioned, or circa May 1917 as wounded?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Jim,

post-13002-1205700676.jpg

Everyone else,

I must have missed these posts I have been otherwise engaged with Royal Scot bits n bobs, and just forgot about this post, anyone else wishing look ups from the London Scottish Gazette please PM me as well as post, my memory is not all that good.

Will get a good look for the others posted above on Tuesday.

Tom

That is very kind of you. His plaque arrived in the post yesterday and i am absolutly chuffed to bits

Cheers

Jim

Tim,

2943 Lance Corporal Arthur Bertram Hogben

post-13002-1205940714.jpg

Tom :)

post-13002-1206009738.jpg

2409 Private ALEC GORDON
1st/14th Bn. London Regiment (London Scottish)
Killed in Action 26/09/1915

Guest KevinEndon

Tom, can you have a look for Sjt, William B Walker of the 2nd/14th btn died 01 05 18.

Fingers crossed and I am sure if you start a petition for you to have a longer lunch break, thousands of us on here will sign it on your behalf lol

Kevin

• 5 months later...
Guest Kevyn Wilson

I would be exteremely gartefull if you could look for a :-

John Cope born 1897.

14th London Reg - June - Oct 1917 - 41906 - wounded between 23rd Sept and 8 Oct 1917

1/2nd London and Scottish May - Sept 1918 - G/95372 wounded 27th Sept 1918.

2/22nd London Reg - April - Sept 1919 - 685342 - Discharged 1919

Longer lunch i vote for.

Kev

• 9 years later...

I am researching the Great War Memorial of St Olave's church Marygate York.

Private Harold Wycliffe Camden Busby (London Scottish) died 1st July 1916. Remembered on Thiepval Memorial.

Not sure from previous replies whether you managed to find his photo. Would be great for our record if you could!

Harold's brother Reginald also died around 6 months later, he was with Durham Light Infantry. We have his photo.

• 3 years later...

I came across this thread in a 'search' and would like to add information and a photo of my great uncle who served with the 14th London Scottish.

He was later gazetted to the 1st Black Watch, and was KIA 13th October, 1915, age 25.

The attached photos are with the 1st Bn Black Watch.

His information is as follows:

2nd Lieut William Ballantyne, 1st Bn Black Watch, formerly Pte 1455 14th Bn London Regiment.

Born 6 Feb 1890 at Drochil Cottages, Kirkurd & Newlands, Peeblesshire, the son of John Ballantyne and Christina Todd, William was killed at Hohenzollern Redoubt, France, while serving with the 1st Bn Black Watch, on 13 Oct 1915.

William served his apprenticeship at Biggar, Lanarkshire, and went to London to continue his capacity as a commercial salesman. 

William attested on 3 Apr 1911 at the age of 21 and joined the 14th Bn ‘London Scottish’ for a term of 4 years.

On 5 Aug 1914 he was mobilized and went to France with his Battalion on 15 Sep 1914. 
He was wounded in Nov 1914 and admitted to No 13 General Hospital, Boulogne, France, due to “Deafness”.
On 11 Nov 1914 he was evacuated by Hospital Ship to the UK.
He rejoined his Battalion on 17 Mar 1915.
On 31 Mar 1915 he was appointed to Lance Corporal.
On 14 May 1915 he was appointed Corporal.
On 5 Jul 1915 he was appointed Lance Sergeant.
On 11 Jul 1915 he was promoted Sergeant.

He was gazetted to the 1st Bn Black Watch in 18 Sep 1915, and fell in action on 13 Oct 1915, age 25.

Remembered with Honour on Panels 78 - 83, Loos Memorial, France
He is commemorated on the Peebles War Memorial and also on the Blythe Bridge War Memorial. 
He is also listed in the Book of Remembrance at Peebles Library.

328997154_BallantyneWilliam-2ndLt1stBnBlackWatch-02.jpg.56735c45325805b6c2d9f1d51e345364.jpg

899244353_BallantyneWilliam-2ndLt1stBnBlackWatch-01.jpg.4dcc9da570926944fc750d714a249115.jpg

15 hours ago, Tom Lang said:

The attached photos are with the 1st Bn Black Watch.

Look more like pre-war photos of the London Scottish to me, to be honest.

Edited by Steven Broomfield

5 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Look more like pre-war photos of the London Scottish to me, to be honest.

Yes Steven, I can easily agree with that.

My assumption is based on the title of the second photo which says "Sec Lieut".

He was a Sergeant in the London Scottish from July, 1915, until he was commissioned to the Black Watch in September, 1915.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

I'd say they're both pre-war London Jocks: as they were possibly the only photos to hand (or the only ones of him in uniform), it would make sense to use whatever was to hand to illustrate a news article.

Have you been in touch with Andy Parsons (the London Scottish archivist) to see if he has any extra information? If your man was an NCO he will almost certainly have something in the Gazette. Might have been in the Lodge, or a Glenworple (a sort of regimental friendly society). 

5 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I'd say they're both pre-war London Jocks: as they were possibly the only photos to hand (or the only ones of him in uniform), it would make sense to use whatever was to hand to illustrate a news article.

Have you been in touch with Andy Parsons (the London Scottish archivist) to see if he has any extra information? If your man was an NCO he will almost certainly have something in the Gazette. Might have been in the Lodge, or a Glenworple (a sort of regimental friendly society). 

Thank you Steven.

In the vast area of your expertise you may not remember that you, A.D. and I communicated via email re 2nd Lt Ballantyne.

Maybe the brain cell(s) is(are) under pressure and the synapse is(are) not firing as before - a 'senior' moment I'll proffer, or an adult brain-**** maybe?

FWIW, the smaller photo is a family cameo I got from his nephews/nieces in Oz.

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.

4 minutes ago, Tom Lang said:

Thank you Steven.

In the vast area of your expertise you may not remember that you, A.D. and I communicated via email re 2nd Lt Ballantyne.

Maybe the brain cell(s) is(are) under pressure and the synapse is(are) not firing as before - a 'senior' moment I'll proffer, or an adult brain-**** maybe?

FWIW, the smaller photo is a family cameo I got from his nephews/nieces in Oz.

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.

I should add that he had 3 brothers who emigrated to Oz.

At the outbreak of WW1, one of the brother enlisted with the Australian 53rd Bn, and was KIA on 30th September, 1918.

Tom.

On 18/05/2021 at 06:11, Tom Lang said:

I should add that he had 3 brothers who emigrated to Oz.

At the outbreak of WW1, one of the brother enlisted with the Australian 53rd Bn, and was KIA on 30th September, 1918.

Tom.

And further, Andy provided the following information for which I should also express my grateful thanks.

"Had a quick look in the index for the London Scottish Regimental Gazette and William Ballantyne is three times:

1911 p.96 - notice of enlistment 3rd April 1911

1914 p.247. - in casualty lists after Messines listed as "in hospital" (and Private)

1915 p.280. In lists of those taken commission: 1455 Sgt. W. Ballantyne to 1 Black Watch

In the Regimental Roll his enlistment is recorded as well as the fact that he deployed to France on 15 Sept 14 and then "L/Sgt. 24/07/15".

For completeness, I am attaching page 1 of his Attestation which I got buy purchasing his Officer Records from Kew.

The GWF is a marvelous place to spend some time.

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.

1949278996_BallantyneWilliam-2ndLt1stBnBlackWatch-OfficerRecordp09of42.jpg.cde702a8bbb9b135489db1cbee60cf84.jpg

And here is page 1 of his brother John:

1185446251_AIF016.PNG.b557b5ecb023f6698a4e58f0fda95c7d.PNG

11 hours ago, Tom Lang said:

Thank you Steven.

Tom Lang.

Now you mention it!