Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Colonel Fawcett

Lorne40

It was on French television a few nights ago and not having seen it or read this thread I thought I would take a look. Not impressed. One can only take so much jungle, and as for the beard in the trenches... ‘nuff said.

Cheers Martin B

I don't know about the movie, but Percy Fawcett's book, 'Exploration Fawcett' is absolutely unputdownable. I read it as a 14-year-old; it was a mesmerising account of his life and times in the jungles of Bolivia and Brazil. As I read it, I was mesmerised by his slow absorption into the Eldorado myth and how it took over his personality. The next year, I sat an English exam and one question demanded a critical review of a recently read book. I did Fawcett and got an A grade. I won't hear a word said against him.

• 11 months later...

I have just read Chris Kelly's comment of 2 December , 2019 and am very interested in your reference to your great uncle Gunner John Todd.  I have been investigating the  original diaries and letters of those involved in Fawcett's Peruvian expeditions of 1910 to 1912 (including Costin and Murray as well as Fawcett's diaries), not because I am primarily interested in Fawcett (although his history is of course fascinating) but because my great uncle Valentine Ashton (also RGA) worked for the Tambopata Rubber Syndicate at the barracas (rubber collection points) of San Carlos and Marte at the times when Fawcett stayed there.  Chris, does your family retain any letters or diaries from Gunner Todd or have they been deposited in any archive?

• Admin

@Chris Kelly hasn’t visited the forum since December 2019, this tag might alert him, or you can try sending him a private message.

Michelle 

• 8 months later...
On 09/03/2019 at 17:37, Moonraker said:

Very short notice, I'm afraid, but the film of "The Lost City of Z " is being screened on BB2 at 2100 hours tonight. There appear to be some WWI scenes.

Moonraker

Not quite such short notice: the film is on BBC2 at 0130 on Saturday morning.