Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Medic7922

? Gloster Soldier

Medic7922

I was told by a friend of mine that her Uncle a Henry George or George Henry FELTHAM who came from Bristol

died when the Hospital ship bringing back to the UK from france was sunk, according to my friend she said that her

father & Uncle served in the Gloucestershire Regiment.

I cannot find any trace of her Uncle or that a Hospital ship was sunk returning from France.

Northern Soul

Possible family lore getting the story confused. There is this man, killed at Jutland...

FELTHAM, HENRY GEORGE

Initials: H G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Navy

Unit Text: H.M.S. "Defence."

Date of Death: 31/05/1916

Service No: K/18438

Additional information: Son of Frances Jennings, of 45, Granville St., Barton Hill, Bristol.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 15.

Memorial: PLYMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL

Best wishes.

Andy.

Medic7922

What a result, Andy you were correct it was a bit of old family folklore, to confirm your information I asked my friend the address which

she knew right away.

I printed off a copy and let her have it and when she read it a few tears came to her eye, my friend is in her 80s so would have known him well

if he had survived.

Again Thanks Andy

eviltaxman

I saw this thread and thought I might be able to help - what with being in Bristol, but alas, scuppered! Anyway, I saw this on Wikipedia and thought it would help.........

Wikipedia - HMS Defence

Les

Northern Soul

A photograph of his name on the Plymouth Naval Memorial may be found here:

Memorial Panel

Andy.

Stebie9173

The list of missing from the Defence (ALL 903 hands, including Rear-Admiral Arbuthnott) was reported in the Times of 8-6-1916. Stoker Feltham's name is amongst the missing.

E-mail me if you want a copy of the list.

The list also appears here:

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishgu...y_list_1916.htm

Steve.

eviltaxman

Interesting to read the list supplied on the link from Steve. One name jumped out at me - Rev. Wallace H Le Patourel. Along with the others on board, he died 31 May 1916 - his son was born 20 June 1916!!! OK, no big deal, but his son went on to be Brigadier Le Patourel and was with the British Joint Services Mission to Washington DC from 1958-60. He served with the Ghanaian Army from 1960-61 as its Deputy Commander, which he followed by being Deputy Commander of the 43rd Divisional District until 1962. He was the Deputy Lieutenant of Avon.

Did I forget to mention, Major (as he was) Le Patourel earned the VC 3 December 1942 in Tunisia whilst with the 2nd Hampshires. He died (localy to me) in 1979.

Here's a link to my page on him...... Herbert Le Patourel VC

Les.

EDIT - page updated