Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Thomas MGC

Ian C

I am researching William Thomas, Private 139527, 3rd Battalion, Machine Gun Corps. He was KIA on 23/4/18 and is buried in Pernes British Cemetery. Can anyone give me any clues at to what action he is likely to have met his end in. I have looked on TLLT site, but couldn't make any headway there. I'm sure thats my fault and not the sites.

Thanks in advance.

IanC

Hi Ian,

He died of wounds which may mean he was wounded several days/weeks before his death on 23rd April. The cemetery details for Pernes also show that it was in a main casualty clearing area following the Germans advance of March 1918. Possibly wounded at Battle of Bethune.

Steve

3rd Bn MGC was in 3rd Division. Here's the order of battle: click. It also gioves you the main engagemens, and you will see that the Div was involved in

The Battle of St Quentin (first phase of the First Battles of the Somme 1918)

The First Battle of Bapaume (second phase of the First Battles of the Somme 1918)

The First Battle of Arras, 1918 (fourth phase of the First Battles of the Somme 1918)

Thanks for that info. I can say for certain that he was not injured before 23/04 as I have copy letters, one from him written that day and another from an officer at the CCS that he was evacuated to.

IanC

• 2 weeks later...

I now have information that William was previously No. 3274 in the Territorial London Regiment. His neice thinks he was in the Middlesex Regiment before the MGC, is there anyway I can check this out.

Ian C

His Medal Index Card (MIC) at the National Archives (oh, wish they'd kept Public Record Office as a name) should say. 'Territorial London Regiment' suggests AGAINST the Middlesex Regiment, perhaps. The main site at

http://www.1914-1918.net/london.htm

shows the London territorials; in the meantime, I will make enquries of my friendly MGC 'number cruncher' to see if he has any light to shed on it.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Ian,

I don't know anything about your relative but once researched Sgt Sydney Dungey, a Sittingbourne man, who won the MM in Spring 1918 serving with D Coy 3rd Bn. Looking back at my paperwork, I can only confirm what Steve has said and also the diary is very scant in detail with regard to ORs.

Does Soldiers Died Great War give the unit he served with before transferring to the MGC?

IanB

Does Soldiers Died Great War give the unit he served with before transferring to the MGC?

SDiTGW confirms that he was formerly 3274, London Regt. Also gives place of enlistment as Chingford, Essex.