Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

380th Battery of RFA

Guest brilaumac

Would like to know if anyone has ever heard of the 380th Battery unit of the RFA regiment. My father's number in this unit was 671520. His rank was that of a DVR.

His name was James Cooper McLachlan. I had all of his medals at one time, but believe I gave them to my son. His step-son apparently got them and either lost them or sold them. I would sure like to be able to replace these medals if I could.

His regimental number, 671520, is indicative of the 52nd Divisional Ammunition Column (DAC). The rank of DVR indicates that he was a Driver. The 52nd DAC was raised at Glasgow on 24 April 1915. It went to Blackheath on 7 May 1915 where it drew its equipment. On 4 June 1915 it embarked at Devonport and disembarked at Port Said, Egypt 17 June 1915 and remained in Egypt until it was broken up on 17 March 1916. The 52nd DAC was reformed on 1 January 1917 and served in with the 52nd Division in Egypt and Palestine until it was transferred to the 7th Indian Division at Arsuf in March 1918. It was reorganized at Moascar on 1 April 1918 and redesignated the 52nd DAC. On 3 April 1918 it embarked at Alexandria and arrived at Marseille on 12 April 1918. From then until the end of the war it served in France with the 52nd Division.

Regards. Dick Flory

I forgot to answer your question about 380th Battery, RFA. As far as I know no RFA battery with that designation existed in the Great War. There was a 380th Siege Battery in the RGA. Regards. Dick Flory

Thank you for your reply. I do have an Army Form Z.18 "Certificate of Employment During the War" of my father's which states the number 671520 Rank DVR, surname: McLachlan, Christian Names in full: James Cooper, Regt. RFA, Unit 380th Bty. His trade or calling before enlistment was that of a Motor Mechanic.

Number 5 stated Special Remarks as to qualifications, work done, or skill acquired ...etc. It stated "A First Class driver and a thoroughly conscientious and reliable man - thoroughly understands horses." It was signed by a J.W. Bont or Sont, Major Comdg. 380th Battery, R.F.A. This form was to assist the soldier in obtaining employment on his return to civil life.

I am somewhat perplexed. I can find no 308 Battery, RFA for the war years, nor can I find any evidence of a Major J W Bont or Sant or any name close to those. Is there a date on the Army Form Z.18? There was a post war 308 Bty, 77th (Lowland) Field Brigade, RFA in the post-war Territorial Army and I was wondering if maybe that is the unit he was serving with in 1919 or 1920. Regards. Dick Flory

Hi Dick,

Saw your repsonses in respect to the RFA in this thread. Don't know if you can help me. My great uncle was 103684 Gnr Ernest William DAWE - Royal Field Artillery. Is there any way of ascertaining which unit he was with from this regimental number?

Regards

Tim Dawe

My great uncle was 103684 Gnr Ernest William DAWE - Royal Field Artillery. Is there any way of ascertaining which unit he was with from this regimental number?

Tim: Only Territorial Force six digit numbers can be used to distinguish the brigade of a gunner in the RHA, RFA or RGA and those start at 300000. I will look through the RFA unit histories that I own and see if your great uncle is listed in any of the nominal rolls. Regards. Dick Flory

My great uncle was 103684 Gnr Ernest William DAWE - Royal Field Artillery. Is there any way of ascertaining which unit he was with from this regimental number?

Tim: Only Territorial Force six digit numbers can be used to distinguish the brigade of a gunner in the RHA, RFA or RGA and those start at 300000. I will look through the RFA unit histories that I own and see if your great uncle is listed in any of the nominal rolls. Regards. Dick Flory

Thanks a lot Dick. His MIC does not show a date of entry although he received a BWM and VM only. I beleive he may have actually been drafted. He was from Gloucester.

The other guys in the same page in the Medal Roll are:

103677 Dvr George John BOAKES

103681 Dvr Charles BAKER

103682 Dvr Ernest Archibald PAGE

103683 Sdlr Edward Stanley BROOKS

Regards

Tim

• 4 weeks later...
Guest brilaumac

It's me again. I'm still checking on the 380th Battery unit that my dad was in. He was born April 3, 1897 in Glasgow, Scotland and had told me he had lied about his age when he went into service. He was only 16, which would have meant he went in about 1914 or sooner, if possible. Does that give you anything more to go on?