Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Roll of the Great War

Raster Scanning

I have all 14 volumes of the National Roll of the Great War. Unfortunately some are at my house in England so cannot be quickly accessed.

The ones readily available are.

Section 1 London.

Section 3 London.

Section 4 Southampton.

Section 6 Birmingham.

Section 7 London.

Section 8 Leeds.

Section 9 Bradford.

Section 10 Portsmouth.

Section 13 London.

Section 14 Salford.

They each list a cross section of men who served with brief service history and home address. Names not restricted to casualties.

John

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure whether any of mine who served will be in there but you never know:

George Sunley, enlisted Darlington, Royal Field Artillery, killed Aug 1914

Anthony Smith, grew up in Oldham, was based in Brompton in WW1

Ernest Smith, grew up in Oldham

William Smith,grew up in Oldham

George A Smith, grew up in Oldham

Also Alfred Sales, born and bred in Oldham.

Hope you can help

George

I would appreciate if you would give your impressions of the national roll compared to other war dead databases.

many thanks .

Tom Burnell

Difficult to know where to start as the men of the Regiments I study came from all over the UK. Should you come acroos 14th or 20th Hussars by chance could you let me know of them if that wouldn't be too difficult.

Kind regards

Patrick

I am trying to do an inventory of Luxembourgers who served in WW1. I have found two who are said to have served in the 'British army'. No regiment or even first names is given.

The surnames are recorded here as:

Jamin and Zuveni

If you ever come across these I would be grateful for any details. They don't appear on 'soldiers who died' so I preusme that theysurvived!

My coordinates are on the long list of places to go on the WFA site.

I would be grateful if you have details of the age, next of kin and home address of:

Name: WOOD, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/6th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 4759

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 9 A 9 B and 10 B

Cemetery: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

regards

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

George I replied off forum.

Tom.

The National Roll is a good starting point if you are lucky enough to find a person you are interested in.

Entries are sometimes inaccurate or more likely incomplete. It is a source of service details for men who served and survived as well as women, so valuable in that sense.

Patrick / healdav.

I will keep an eye open. A modern index volume is available. I intend to obtain this index and this will make looking up a man much quicker.

Richard.

Please let me know where Wood was born, living and enlisted (SDGW) I can then look in the appropriate volume, if indeed one exists.

Lastly, sorry for the late reply, I posted my original message over a year ago and had forgotten all about it. May I suggest if anyone needs a look up, they post a private message or email me.

John.

Guest susan turvey

Please could you look to see if you have anything on the following person as i have been left all his medals and some other personal items but i dont know who he is in relation to myself and im trying to trace it back.

Private Thomas Allen

10587 10th Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Date of death at Thiepval Memorial 18th Nov 1916

Thank you so much in advance

susan Turvey

stuart.turvey@ntlworld.com

p.s what a great site

Guest susan turvey
Please could you look to see if you have anything on the following person as i have been left all his medals and some other personal items but i dont know who he is in relation to myself and im trying to trace it back.

Private Thomas Allen

Thank you so much in advance

susan Turvey

stuart.turvey@ntlworld.com

p.s what a great site

sorry i forgot to put he was born in Birmingham

Hi John,

I posted this on the Going To The PRO section but it sums everything up so I hope you don't mind that I just copied it here for you. I would appreciate it if you would look through the National Roll for any mention please.

My GGrandad died when my Grandad was only 15 and my Grandad doesn't remember too much about him. My Grandad's memories of his father are mixed with very small amounts of info retold by his Mother who died in 1971. Unfortunately at the time of her death all my GGrandads personal belongings went missing including WW1 papers and one medal we know of. My GGrandad had lost his Mother and Father when he was about 19 so my Grandad never knew his Grandad, we know there was a brother who died in WW1 but nothing other than a name.

My Grandad is 84 this year and I would love to be able to give him something about his father. Info gathered over the last year has given us he was ex Sapper, RE and that he moved to Yorkshire as a child and then back to Manchester when his father died. Lucky for me his name is Alexander BARTLEY so I checked the MICs online and I have found an Alexander BARTLEY, E Yorks R, Pte, 8404 and RE 370160, British RE/101A2, pg 305.

I have printed this out for my Grandad but not told him yet as I was wondering if anyone going to the PRO would see if they could find and give me anything else, not sure what that would be, I just know I would be so grateful. His wife was Lucy, and they were living in the Collyhurst/Harpurhey area of Manchester just before and just after the war and he was born in Salford 1881 to Emma and Alexander BARTLEY and his brother was Henry BARTLEY.

I know this is a long shot but I felt it was worth a try asking.

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read this and can I just say I have learnt more reading this site than I ever did at school, I think this site should be part of the National Curriculum.

Regards,

Lisa

ps I know this is long and vague but is all I have, I don't even know what happened to Henry and Lucy, if they stayed in Leeds or moved back to Manchester with Alexander. All my Grandad remembers is his Dad telling him Henry had been killed though I haven't found anything on the CWGC that ties in. Grandad vaguely remembers the Battle of Jutland being mentioned but not sure if this is to do with Henry, I have looked through databases for Jutland and come up with nothing.

Pte thomas Allen No 10587, 10th Batt Royal Warwicks, Born in Birmingham enlisted in Northampton while living in Warwick......the rest you have.

Tom.

Guest susan turvey

Thanks Tom, any idea how i can find out anything eles about him other than a trip to kew. Im limited with travel and im desperate to find out more. Thank you for your time. Susan

Private Thomas Allen

Susan.

Sorry, there are 2 T Allens who served in the Royal Warwick's but both survived the war. This was from the Birmingham section, I do not have my copy of the Bedford/Northampton section to hand at the moment. I know Martin and Kate Wills have a copy, perhaps they can look for you?

Best wishes.

Hi Lisa.

I have checked the Manchester, Salford, Bradford and Leeds sections all except the Salford have Bartley's in but not your man I am afraid (perhaps relations though?).

Best wishes.

Susan,

Sorry, but no Thomas Allens of the Warwicks in the Bedford & Northampton volume.

Please could you look in the Salford volume for

Frank Foster,

probably Kings Regt

b. c1900

thanks

Dave Risley

• 1 month later...

Hi John,

I was wondering if you could try looking up the following for me when you have a moment?

Horace George Parnell, Gnr. 97820, 5th Bty, 45th Bde, RFA. d. 27/6/1916. The last address (1916) was 101 Beaufoy Road, Queens Road, Battersea, London. Prior to the war (1912) he was living with his wife Maria at Carnaby Street, London. I can only assume he enlisted somewhere in London.

George James Fayers, Gnr. 86289, RGA; and his cousin Walter E. Fayers, Gnr. 86288, RGA. Before and during the war both families lived at Great Bricett, Suffolk, but I'm not sure where they enlisted.

Thomas Henry Philpott, Pte. 21771, 6th East Lancs, d. 19/7/1916; and his brother Bertram Philpott, Pte. 9601, 9th Duke of Wellington's (West Riding), d. 29/4/1916. The family address during the war was 149 Stanley Street, Accrington, Lancashire.

If you could find and give me any information on these guys I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks and best regards

Steve

Hello John,

could you please have a look in the Bradford edition of the National Roll of the Great War for the folloing officer please,

Captain Geoffrey Barker, 2/6th West Yorkshire Regt (P.W.O) who was KIA on the 22/11/17.

Any help would be appreciated,

yours,

Peter.

I would be grateful if you could find any information on the following person:

Name: ERNEST ALEXANDER GALBALLY

Rank: Private Regiment: The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regt.)

Unit Text: "D" Coy. 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 17/10/1915

Service No: G/4660

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Harriet Lincoln (formerly Galbally).

Grave/Memorial Reference: A. 5. Cemetery: QUARRY CEMETERY, VERMELLES

Thanks & Regards

Sharon :D

Please could you look in the Salford volume for

Frank Foster,

probably Kings Regt

b. c1900

thanks

Dave Risley

Dave.

Sorry no mention.

Cheers

Hello John,

could you please have a look in the Bradford edition of the National Roll of the Great War for the folloing officer please,

Captain Geoffrey Barker, 2/6th West Yorkshire Regt (P.W.O) who was KIA on the 22/11/17.

Any help would be appreciated,

yours,

Peter.

Sorry no mention. I have found it quite unusual to have officers listed

Cheers

Hi John,

I was wondering if you could try looking up the following for me when you have a moment?

Horace George Parnell, Gnr. 97820, 5th Bty, 45th Bde, RFA. d. 27/6/1916. The last address (1916) was 101 Beaufoy Road, Queens Road, Battersea, London. Prior to the war (1912) he was living with his wife Maria at Carnaby Street, London. I can only assume he enlisted somewhere in London.

George James Fayers, Gnr. 86289, RGA; and his cousin Walter E. Fayers, Gnr. 86288, RGA. Before and during the war both families lived at Great Bricett, Suffolk, but I'm not sure where they enlisted.

Thomas Henry Philpott, Pte. 21771, 6th East Lancs, d. 19/7/1916; and his brother Bertram Philpott, Pte. 9601, 9th Duke of Wellington's (West Riding), d. 29/4/1916. The family address during the war was 149 Stanley Street, Accrington, Lancashire.

If you could find and give me any information on these guys I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks and best regards

Steve

I checked all 5 London vols, your Parnell is not listed. Suffolk is not covered by the roll and I checked the nearest editions to Accrington with no luck.

Sorry.

I would be grateful if you could find any information on the following person:

Name: ERNEST ALEXANDER GALBALLY

Rank: Private Regiment: The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regt.)

Unit Text: "D" Coy. 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 17/10/1915

Service No: G/4660

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Harriet Lincoln (formerly Galbally).

Grave/Memorial Reference: A. 5. Cemetery: QUARRY CEMETERY, VERMELLES

Thanks & Regards

Sharon :D

I presume this is the man from St Lukes Parish, London. Sorry nothing.