Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry Ernest Lewis Jones

wulsten

Have tried researching this sailor, cwgc gives date of death 6/5/17 also his naval service records give same date of death he served on DAMS, believe defensive armed merchant ships ie Feltria, but from info gained before on this chap the Feltria i believe was sunk 5/4/1917 two days prior to listed death and the family of this sailor state that they are sure he died on HMS Lavender which was also sunk 4/5/1917, remembered on cobh cemetery memoril Cork, any ideas as to differences etc.

Hello Wulsten, this Jones' Admiralty Death Record:

JONES, HENRY E.L., O.S., RNVR, LONDON Z 5629, FELTRIA S.S., 05-May-17, SHIP LOSS .

From my db

On 5th May 1917 HMT Feltria, defensively armed, built 1891, 5,254 grt, was sunk in 51.56N, 07.24W by a torpedo from German U-boat UC 48 , 8 miles SE from Mine Head, Waterford, Ireland, carrying general cargo on a voyage from New York to Avonmouth, owned by Cunard Steam Shipping Co Ltd - Liverpool. 45 lives lost.

Discrepancies in sinking dates often arose because of the time lag in the reporting system.

Best wishes

David

The discreprancy is one day, it was possible to survive a sinking but then die soon afterwards.

Hi wulsten,

Headstone of H E Jones, Cobh, Co Cork. (if you dont have it), a second next to it of Fireman H J Hooper, SS Feltria, 5 May 1917,

Regards,

Sean.

post-8617-1181225004.jpg

Hello Wulsten, you refer to the CWGC giving Jones' date of death as 6/5/17. I have just tried the site and can't get a result on HEL Jones, or on Jones.

The reason I looked is because I can't find his name on the THM list of the missing (sinking date given as 5/5/17 for Feltria)) or on the List of Buried MM & MMRs.

I think you may have found one of the men who have slipped thro' the crack and is not properly commemmorated.

Incidently, Fireman H J Hooper is recorded on the List of Buried MM & MMRs has having a Memorial Stone: West Wall Section B, Cobh Old Church (which appears to be where Jones' stone is situated).

Best wishes

David

Hi again,

Fireman H J Hooper Cobh Cemetery, side by side with H E L Jones.

Regards,

Sean

post-8617-1181329632.jpg

I thank everyone who has replied and thank especially the scans of the commemorative stone, (have also pm`d thanks). have also forwarded the scans to the direct relative of henry who has never seen this memorial and never gained clear info on his death as the family story was related to hms lavender a mistake possibly with the family living in lavender hill after henry`s death, again many many thanks to all

The reason I looked is because I can't find his name on the THM list of the missing (sinking date given as 5/5/17 for Feltria)) or on the List of Buried MM & MMRs.

He wouldn't and shouldn't be on any of those lists as they are for merchant mariners and he was in the RNVR, which is listed under the Navy.

As his body is buried, the date of death could reflect the day the body was recovered or he survived the sinking and died of exposure.

I tried to look him up as a merchant sailor, which was obviously why I couldn't find him.

His Admiralty death record is as follows:

JONES, HENRY E.L., O.S., RNVR, LONDON Z 5629, FELTRIA S.S., 05-May-17, SHIP LOSS.

Best wishes

David

I managed to gain his service records from both the NA & Yeoviton and neither mention ships served on, only the mention DAMS and DD6th may 17

• 1 month later...

Please find listing of all casualties aboard the ss Feltria when sunk by enemy action,

Casualties of the S.S. FELTRIA

BOMBAY 1914-1918 MEMORIAL, India

ALI ABDUL RIYAZ, Fireman and Trimmer, S.S. 'Feltria' (London)., Indian Merchant Service. Sunk by enemy submarine , 8 miles S.E. from Mine Head 5 May 1917.

COBH OLD CHURCH CEMETERY, County Cork, Ireland, Republic of

HOOPER, Fireman, HENRY JOHN, S.S. "Feltria", Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 40. Son of Henry Isaac Hooper, of 49, College St., Bristol, and the late Elizabeth Hooper. Memorial Headstone. Grave Ref. West Wall - Section B.

JONES, Ordinary Seaman, HENRY ERNEST LEWIS, London Z/5629, S.S. "Feltria" (London)., Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve. Drowned, as a result of an attack by enemy submarine 6 May 1917. Age 17. Son of Walter William and Annie Jones, of 147, Wickersley Rd., Lavender Hill, Battersea, London. Memorial Headstone. Grave Ref. West Wall, Section B.

LINNETT, Wireless Operator, STANLEY WILLIAM, S.S. "Feltria", Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of attack by enemy submarine 6 May 1917. Age 18. Son of Sarah Sophia Jenkins (formerly Linnett), of 11, Newlyn Rd., Woodseats, Sheffield, and the late James Frederick Linnett. Grave Ref. B. 15. 14.

BRISTOL (ARNOS VALE) CEMETERY, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

WHYATT, Deck Boy, WILLIAM ARTHUR HENRY, S.S "Feltria", Mercantile Marine. Drowned as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 17. Son of William Daniel and Kitty Whyatt, of 19, Campbell St., City Rd., Bristol. Grave Ref. II. 731.

PLYMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL, Devon, United Kingdom

SWEENEY, Leading Seaman, DENIS, 214515, (RFR/DEV/B/6051), S.S. "Feltria.", Royal Navy. Killed in action with submarine off Minehead 5 May 1917. Age 33. Son of John and Ellen Sweeney, of Kilcoe, Co. Cork. 21.

TOWER HILL MEMORIAL, London, United Kingdom

BOYD, Fireman, FRANK, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by m enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 28. Born at Montreal.

CANN, Engineer's Steward, HERBERT ALEXANDER, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 24. Son of Lionel Charles and Elizabeth Cann (nee Collins), of 23, Norfolk Lane, Franklin Town, Kingston, Jamaica.

CARMICHAEL, Fourth Mate, FREDERICK, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 30. Born at Manitoba.

CHAPPLE, Officer's Steward 1st Class, GEORGE HENRY, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 18. Son of Abraham and Eliza Chapple, of 19, Eldon Terrace, Bedminster, Bristol.

CLOUGH, Fifth Engineer Officer, WILLIAM NORMAN, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 24. Son of William Thomas and Gertrude Clough, of 48, Derwent Rd., Liverpool. Born at Liverpool.

CRAMPTON, Sailor, H, S.S. "Feltria.", Mercantile Marine. 5 May 1917. Addenda Panel.

DAVYS, Apprentice, ROBERT HEPBURN, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 16. Son of Harry and Grace Cranston Davys, of "Fernlea," Grange Lane, Formby, Lancs. Born at Bootle, Lancs.

GALPIN, Assistant Cook, FREDERICK HYDE, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 39. Son of the late Henry Frederick and Emma Lavinia Galpin. Born at Bristol.

GAUNSON, Fireman, GEORGE, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 25. Son of the late George Bruce and Sarah Gaunson (nee Scott). Born at Bristol.

GOODALL, Assistant Steward, ARIE ALFRED, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 18. (Served as LEY). Son of the late William Henry and Gertrude Goodall. Born at Cardiff.

GUIDREY, Fireman, FRANCIS JOHN, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 35. Son of the late James and Anne Guidrey; husband of Eliza Guidrey (nee Allen), of 11, Culver St., St. Augustine's, Bristol. Born at Marylebone, London.

HARRIS, Baker, CLIFFORD EDWARD HALLIDAY, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 24. Son of Charles Edward and Agnes Jane Harris, of 58, Church Rd., Bristol.

HOLBROOK, Fireman, HENRY, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 37. Son of the late George and Annie Holbrook; husband of Minnie Louisa Holbrook (nee Slade), of 59, Regent St., Newtown, Bristol. Born at Bristol.

JENNINGS, Storekeeper, GEORGE WILLIAM, S.S. Feltria (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 28. Son of George Ebenezer, and Ellen Jennings; husband of Lillian Elizabeth Iver Jennings (nee Miles), of 21, Farr St., Avonmouth. Born at West Ham, London.

KNIGHT, Chief Steward, EDGAR, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 41. Son of the late Thomas and Mary Ann Knight; husband of Ann Knight (nee Watson), of 40, Cairns Rd., Westbury Park, Bristol. Born at Wells, Somerset.

MAGNUSSON, Fireman and Trimmer, J H, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 22. Son of Sven Magnus and Karin Magnusson, of Soderham, Sweden. Born in Sweden.

MANTLE, Quartermaster, CHARLES, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 4 May 1917. Age 33. Son of the late George and Isabelle Mantle. Born at Milton Regis, Kent.

MILLS, Fireman and Trimmer, WILLIAM, "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 31. (served as DELANEY), Son of Caroline Baker (formerly Mills), of 20, Brockdene Rd., Plumstead, Kent., and the late Edward Mills. Born at Bexley Heath, Kent.

MOORE, Fireman and Trimmer, HAYWARD, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Born in America.

NATHAN, Fireman, LESLIE, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 27. Born at Antigua.

NEEDS, Able Seaman, FREDERICK, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 27. Son of Walter and Henrietta Leeds; husband of Hannah Needs (nee Fletcher), of 306, Newfoundland Rd., Bristol. Born at Bristol.

OLLERHEAD, Third Engineer, ARTHUR, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 28. Son of Ellen Ollerhead; husband of Margaret Agnes Sinclair Ollerhead (nee Elliott), of 107, Camden St., Birkenhead. Born at Bolton.

OSWIN, Steward (Master's) CHARLES EDMUND, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 38. Son of the late William and Mary Oswin; husband of Mary Ann Oswin (nee Johnson), of 2, Denis Place, St. Augustine's, Bristol. Born at Islington, London.

PARKE, Sailor, ALEXANDER, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 19. Son of Jennie Parke (nee Canning), of 27, Cross St., Waterside, Londonderry, and the late Alexander Parke.

PEARSE, Engineer's Storekeeper, GEORGE HENRY, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 34. Son of the late Henry and Martha Pearse; husband of Rosina Elizabeth Pearse (Nee Griffith), of 44, Twinnell St., Stapleton Rd., Bristol. Born at Avonmouth.

PETTERSSON, Fireman, AXEL, S.S. "Feltria " (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 31. Son of Karl August Pettersson, of Karlskrona, Sweden. Born in Sweden.

POWELL, Greaser (Stead Senior) JOHN HERBERT, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 24. Son of Isaiah Herbert and Betsy Ann Powell (Nee Senior), of 36, Greenbank Rd., Ashton Gate, Bristol. Born at Abergavenny, Mon.

PRICE, Master, WALTER GEORGE, S.S. "Feltria" (Cunard Line), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 34. Son of Emily Price, of 53, Craigen Avenue, Addiscombe, Croydon, Surrey, and the late George Edward Price, F.R.G.S.

RING, Greaser, WILLIAM, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 39. Son of Alice Ring, and the late John Ring; husband of Elizabeth Martha Ring (nee Rowland), of 105, Pattison Rd., Plumstead, Kent. Born at Erith, Kent.

ROGER, Pantryman, ANDREW, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 65. Born at Dundee.

RUSSELL, Fireman, ERNEST, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 36. Son of the late Isaac and Sarah Ann Russell. Born at Bristol.

SODERBLOM, Fireman, AXEL, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 27. Son of Per and Karolina Soderblom, of Soderhamn, Sweden. Born in Sweden.

SODERSTROM, Boatswain (Bosun) VICTOR, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 46. Son of Anna Petersson (formerly Soderstrom), of Norra Vagen, 38. Kalmar, Sweden. Born at Stockholm.

STOTT, Fourth Engineer Officer, GILBERT, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 29. Son of Dorcas Wavell Stott, of 6, Stretton Avenue, Liscard, Wallasey, Cheshire. Born at Great Crosby, Lancs.

THOMAS, Sailor, EDWARD, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 21. Son of John and Caroline Amelia Mary Thomas, of 20, Portview Rd., Avonmouth, Glos. Born at Bristol.

THOMSON, Chief Engineer, DAVID, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 52. Son of Margaret Thomson, and the late John Thomson; husband of Margaret Thomson (nee Arnott), of Strathendry, Dumbarton. Born at Glasgow.

VAN MUNNEKREDE, Ship's Chief Cook, NICOLAUS COMELIO, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 33. Son of Elizabeth Iles Munnekrede, and the late Nicolaus Munnekrede; husband of Willemeintje Van Munnekrede, of 13, Oakfield Place, Clifton, Bristol. Born at Rotterdam.

VAN WEELDE, Fireman and Trimmer, AART, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Age 22. Son of Hendrik Jan and Barendina Baltus Van Weelde, of 67c, Josephstraat, Rotterdam. Born at Rotterdam.

WILSON, Fireman and Trimmer, R, S.S. "Feltria" (London), Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine 5 May 1917. Born in U.S.A.

• 14 years later...

My Grandfather J R Hayward was second officer on the Feltria when sunk. His continuous discharge book says ‘vessel sunk by enemy’. He joined the Vandalia and this was sunk by torpedo 12 months later. I really admire that generation. His fist ship sunk when he was 15. No he wasn’t known as ‘uncle Albert!’   

4618EEDB-E90F-4FD8-B132-1F7A6FFDA4AB.jpeg

D0099404-7147-4175-B877-F7AC056733D9.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I am wondering if anyone has any information on Edgar Knight chief steward on the Feltria, more specifically any idea about his grave site. I think his body came ashore in Ballycotton Co. Cork but have no more information. 

Thanks I've done extensive research on him, but it's his actual grave site I'm looking for. Much appreciate your post though. 

Edited by Shivster

7 hours ago, Shivster said:

I am wondering if anyone has any information on Edgar Knight chief steward on the Feltria, more specifically any idea about his grave site. I think his body came ashore in Ballycotton Co. Cork but have no more information. 

Welcome to GWF

I wonder if perhaps one for @museumtom and his Irish research skills ??

M

Henry Ernest Lewis JONES, 5629

Don't know if you have more recently looked/found at WFA/Fold3 = he/his widow & family have a pension ledger page and pension cards [also available via Ancestry I believe]

M

Now then there is a question and a half!. I can tell you that most of the 'Feltria' crew were buried in Cobh Old Church Cemetery in Cobh, County Cork. Only 7 are named in the grave registers. 24 are un-named and buried as unknowns in the same cemetery. They do not have headstones. The C.W.G.C. and I.F.C.P. have this data including those names from the Feltria missed and on the Tower Hill Memorial and have not yet been addressed. They were put forward to I.F.C.P. in 2020. So the answer to your question is he is more than likely buried in there but not named on the register and has no headstone.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom