Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

History of the Duke of Cornwall's L.I. 1914-1919

apwright

• 1 month later...

Hi Adrian

I wonder if your marvellous book could give a little context on Pte Walter Bowkett - dow 4 12 1917 and served in the 7/DCLI: Cambrai casualty I suspect! Regards

Simon

• 10 years later...

Hi Adrian i am researching this chap , and wondered if you could shed any light on what his unit were doing at the time of his death, im assuming that he died of disease ? 

William James Henderson

1 / 4 Battalion

Duke of Cornwall’s light infantry

Died 26th August 1916 aged 21

Son of Mrs. Maria Henderson, of 18, Wellington Terrace, Falmouth.

Buried at Baghdad (North Gate) War Cemetery

If you look at the CWGC link provided by Chris, there are attachments, the first page of which indicates he was exhumed from Baghtche Cemetery Asia Minor.

This means he was a Prisoner of War in Turkey.

Baghtche was a work camp in the Amanus Mountains, where the men were building tunnels for the Baghdad Railway, being built by a German company.

You may be able to find him in ICRC records, and possibly find a cause of death.

See the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Prisoners of the Turks (First World War)

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Prisoners_of_the_Turks_(First_World_War)

Cheers

Maureen

• 5 years later...

Hello Adrian,

I have just joined the site.I have a question regarding the Cornwall Light Infantry WW1.

I collect service medals named to Hannaford,and recently bought a WW1 pair from the UK,named to 2314. A. Cpl. H.Hannaford. D of Corn L I.

Would you have any information on him,battalion and where served during WW1?

Thank you.

Regards

DiggerStan.

4 hours ago, DiggerStan said:

I collect service medals named to Hannaford,and recently bought a WW1 pair from the UK,named to 2314. A. Cpl. H.Hannaford. D of Corn L I.

Would you have any information on him,battalion and where served during WW1?

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Lovely profile picture which is in battledress I believe. Are you Australian perchance?

A/Cpl Harold Hannaford had two service numbers; 2314 and 200565. It appears he served with the 1/4 DCLI and also lived in Plymouth. That's about all I can help with.

Zidane.

Thanks Zidane,yes I'm Australian 5 th generation,my ancestors originated from Devon.

I served for 27 years in the Australian Army.

So far I have 10 WW1 medal groups named to Hannaford,mostly RAN groups.

Waiting on a Hannaford WW1 trio with RAN Long Service medal to arrive from a medal dealer in the UK.

Thanks for the info.

DiggerStan.

12 minutes ago, DiggerStan said:

Thank you Maureen,I will try to get a copy.

All you need to do is to click on the link I provided and it is there, for free

Maureen

17 hours ago, DiggerStan said:

Hannaford,and recently bought a WW1 pair from the UK,named to 2314. A. Cpl. H.Hannaford. D of Corn L I.

I believe he will have joined the Territorial Force 4th Battalion in early September 1914 (source 'near number' surviving service records)

TheLongLongTrail site tells us this about the 1/4th

"Territorial Force

1/4th Battalion

August 1914 : in Truro. Part of Devon and Cornwall Brigade in Wessex Division. Moved on mobilisation to Falmouth but by end of August 1914 was at Perham Down (Salisbury Plain).

9 October 1914 : sailed for India, landing Bombay 10 November 1914. Joined Bareilly Brigade in 7th (Meerut) Divisional Area.

28 January 1916 : landed at Aden, coming under orders of Aden Brigade. Moved to Egypt 13 February 1917.

June 1917 : attached to 75th Division."

It is possible that Hannaford sailed with the battalion in Oct 1914 for India but it would depend if he'd signed off his Imperial Service Agreement.

There is a Hospital Admission Record on Findmypast that shows him at 20 years old, with less than 2 full years service,  admitted to the Hospital Ship Assaye 12/6/1916 suffering from Dyspepsia. This ship had sailed from Bombay a week earlier and picked  him and others up in Aden and disembarked them on 18/6/16 at Suez for treatment. As a young man he might well have recovered quickly and returned to his battalion in Aden, but we don't know for sure.

Apart from that isolated incident we only know that his 'overseas theatre' service was all with 1/4th Bn( source Medal Roll) and that he served until 22/2/1919 (source Pension Card)

His service record presumably was one of those lost in WW2 bombing.

He was entitled to the British War Medal and Victory Medals. 

Charlie 

Looking again at his record he made a pension claim for Debility and in the 1939 Register he is living unmarried with his mother still at the same address. Against his name it says "Invalided from Great War" so clearly his health was not good.

3 hours ago, DiggerStan said:

Thanks Zidane,yes I'm Australian 5 th generation,my ancestors originated from Devon.

I served for 27 years in the Australian Army.

So far I have 10 WW1 medal groups named to Hannaford,mostly RAN groups.

Waiting on a Hannaford WW1 trio with RAN Long Service medal to arrive from a medal dealer in the UK.

Thanks for the info.

DiggerStan.

Most interesting to see! I'm also an Australian, however I'm no veteran. I'm an Australian Army Cadet and not much else.

Concerning the other Hannaford groups- I take it you have the 'Australian Hannafords' service records? If not, I can fetch them from the archives.

Zidane.

• 3 months later...
On 05/06/2007 at 13:51, apwright said:

Any DCLI-related lookups required, just ask!

Adrian

Hello my great great grandfather Walter Hughes was killed on the 2nd of November 1916. He was attached to the 10th battalion of the DCLI which was attached to the second division as pioneers. His number was 24704 and I was just wondering if you would know where he might have been on that day that he was killed. From what a friend of his that had been with him a little before his death said he had been building/repairing a bridge at the time of his death. Thanks