Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 books I had for Christmas

burlington

First World War- Vol 1- 'To Arms'

Hew Strachan. 1200 pages- just for Vol 1!!

Birdsong- Sebastian Faulks

The Strachan book will wear you out before you get out of Africa but you will learn a lot!

I am certainly in the minority but I think Birdsong lousy.

I have added three books to my collection: "Sharpe's Havoc", by Bernard Cornwell (nothing to do with WW1 but I love the series); a companion "Marching With Sharpe"; and Blatherwick's latest (fifth) edition of "Canadian Orders, Decorations, and Medals". Happy Christmas all.

Got quite alot actually,

'Uncle george' Feild marshall Milne of Salonika and Rubislaw by G. Nicol.

'The Maurice Case' by Nancy Maurice.

two vol set of Haldane by Sir F Maurice.

two vol set of war memories by Lloyd-george.

'The Warrior Mullah' by R Beachey

Also my Mother who ceases to amaze me comes up with some gems every xmas has bought for me as a surprise two DVD's of WW1 they are 'Line of fire' as shown i belive on the history channel

The Somme 1916

Gallipolli 1915.

Have watched the somme and its not bad though some of content considering the military 'experts' involved could have been alittle less butchers orientated.

Will not bore you with others i got as they are ancient history except to say have got a copy of a bio on Philip II of macedonia.

Arm.

My three are,

"History of the 51st (Highland) Division"

Major F.W. Bewsher.

"Delville Wood Somme"

Nigel Cave.

"Blindfold & Alone"

Cathryn Corns & John Hughes- Wilson.

Wishing all the Pals a Merry Christmas, Kilty ;)

Very pleased to have received "Journey From Obscurity" by Harold Owen (Wilfred's brother.)

Also "Jutland 1916" by Nigel Steel and Peter Hart. This will provide me with more background reading before I start on my research regarding my two great uncles who fought at the Battle of Jutland.

Just the one for me (Mrs O'B is always a bit cautious in buying me books & usually just gets me some book tokens so I can choose me own)..................A war in Words by Svetlana Palmer & Sarah Wallis

Bound copies of the three issues of 'The Yeoman', which was the magazine of the Ayreshire Yeomanry, Lanarkshire Yeomanry, Lothians and Border Horse, and Queens Own Royal Glasgow Yeomanry, when they were all in Cupar in Scotland in 1915 before going off to Gallipoli. Lots of interesting details of everyday life, not least of which are the adverts for local shops, complete with their two-digit telephone numbers!

Didn't get any at all :( . The only war book I got was "Battle of the Bulge" by Charles McDonald, which unfortunately I've already owned for about 20 years!!! (I'm very difficult to buy for - most of the titles that I'm after went out of print before the 1930's!!!)

However, there's always a silver lining - My "Captured German Trench and Operations Maps" CD-ROM from the N&MP (finally) arrived yesterday (Xmas Eve), being a first rate Christmas present to myself!!!! :D

Dave.

Not done bad this year, my girlfriend, or should I say fiance since I took the plunge in Paris earlier this month and proposed, bought me the 2 Volume set of The Collector and Researchers Guide to the Great by Howard Williamson (A cracking present) and the Medal Year book 2004. Made up with both those presents .... beats socks and slippers any day!!!!

Best wishes to all the Pals for 2004, Neil.

I've had quite a few good books, such as-

'War' by Ludwig Renn

Loos-Hill 70

and the 'Regenaration trilogy' by Pat Barker

Sadly most of the books I wanted were out of stock from Ray Westlake. O well! There's always next year.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

From,

Thomas McCall.

My better half got me a complete set of La Guerre Documentee, a French illustrated wartime magazine, full of lovely photos and illustrations. They were contained in an equally fantastic old 20s suitcase, which had kept them safe and dry in a French grenier for many a year. This is the magazine:

post-22-1072460275.jpg

Guest Jeff Floyd

"Castles of Steel: Britain, Germany, and the Winning of the Great War at Sea"

by Robert K. Massie.

I'm already 100 pages into it and find it an excellent, readable account. Maybe it will help fill some large gaps in my knowledge base.

Jeff Floyd

To Paul,

Does "La Guerre Documentee' contain any information (e.g. photos of the site, ...) about the gas attack of the Germans at the Spanbroekmolen on 30 - 4 - 1916 and some information about the mine attack in Wytschate on the 7th of june 1917.

Gilbert Deraedt :huh:

Hew Strachan's WW1, 'The Second World War' by Winston Churchill, and both volumes of 'What If' looking forward to those!

Ryan