Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Col Wetherell

Ivor Lee

I recently came across a document signed in December 1918 by a Lt Col Wetherell (unfortunately I cannot make out his initials, the first may be R).

At the time I believe he was in Adjutant General's Department at the War Office, probably A.G.1.

Can anyone help me by checking the 1918 Army list to confirm his initials and any other information on him or A.G.1?

Ivor

From the 1918 Army List: Adutant- General's Dept

Deputy Directors - Brevet Lt Col RM Wetherell CMG ,Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry (temp) 26 July 1916

His Regimental entry for the DCLI shows him as a Major 1st or 2nd Bns with a seniority date of 12th April 1915 and Brevet Lt Col, 3rd June 1916.

Terry Reeves

Ivor

Robert May Wetherell was commissioned 2Lt 29 May 1895, Lt 13 Jan 98, Capt 12 Oct 01. At the outbreak of war he was serving as a Staff Captain at HQ Southern Command. During the South African War he also served on the Staff and was awarded the Queen's South African medal with four clasps and the King's medal with tw clasps. he was mentioned in despatches on 10 Sep 01. During WW1 he was made a CMG and was twice mentioned in despatches (28 Jan 16 and 13 Jul 16).

AG1 was, at least in 1914, responsible for organisations and establishments and came under the Adjutant General.

Charles M

Ivor

Further to my last post: Wetherell was born in 1874. He was AAG, Egypt, 1924-27; Oic Record Office, Exeter 1927-1931 and went on retired pay in 1931 as a full Colonel. He was still alive in 1953.

Terry Reeves