Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Warsaw and Krakau/Poland

egbert

Ian,

I would have to agree with Auschwitz I, but as you can see from the pictures of Birkenau, not a soul to be seen. The only person I saw at Birkenau was by the International Momument to the Victims, and it is a big camp to see no-one.

Andy

Guest Trenchwire

Visited Krakow last year with the wife, we loved the people and the square couldn't give our money away, food and drinks were A1.

We visited both the concentration camps but Birkenau was by far the more depressing, it was massive, i could not believe the scale of the place.

At Auschwitz, we walked around the rooms where all the personal belongings were kept, the wife cried the whole time we were there.

We also visited the remains of the Plaszow labor camp, its not open to the public but it can be accessed if you know where to go, i found this place very poignant as the jewish head stones were still there as they were then, used as a road to the entrance of the camp.

The memorial is around the other side to this place and its worth a visit, its very tranquil.

Don't forget the Oskar Schindler factory is still there, they were doing the place up to open as a museum while we were there, there is a short film to be seen on the landing.

Plaszow labor camp today

post-8421-1180469667.jpg

Trench, were exactly is Plazow labor camp please; near or in Krakow?

@ Borys and all Polish speaking forumites:

Here is a link to a Polish forum from/about the town of Gniezno. My Grandparents lived in this town until 1918 and I would like to ask whether somebody could take some 4-5 photos from identified locations in Gniezno (Gnesen) where I have either postcards or even personal photos from Granddad from ( and I do know the Polish street name equivalent). Unfortunately I do not read or speak Polish and the forum sections are not identifiable for me. Could a Polish speaking guy please ask a question for me in Polish or even ask in the forum whether I can post a question in English or German, but what sub-forum/section?????

Guest Trenchwire

Egbert it is in krakow my friend, its just south of the old jewish ghetto, we took a cab there and walked to the camp.

If you go to Podgórze cemetery and find the Krakus Mound its at the base of it,you can just see it in the top of the picture

The mound was used in ww11 as a flak gun station, there is evidence of trenches and bomb craters all over it,

Plaszow Nazi concentration camp functioned there between 1942-45.

this is a more detailed link

http://www.krakow.pl/en/turystyka/trasy/?i...rska/trasa.html

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your tips -I am back and I've seen it all in Warsaw in Krakow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Yessssss its true and it was phantastic.

Glad you had a good time Egbert, welcome back.

Andy