Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manchesters Uniform

Paul Reed

Oh the luxury of having time to play around with the scanner! :D

I have several photos of this man; he is an unknown soldier from the 6th Manchesters TF.

I didn't realise the Mancs had the Sphinx as a collar dog; is this the normal one for ORs or specific to this battalion?

post-23-1072271793.jpg

Paul

The Sphinx appears to be "standard issue". It is a regimental, not battalion, insignia. Underneath the sphinx, there seems to be a word. This should be "EGYPT", which I have always presumed relates to battle honours won there in 1882.

John

(Later amendment: a Google check indicates that the insignia was originally issued to the 96th Foot in recognition of their service in Egypt in 1801. Google only seems to mention it being worn by NCOs during the 1870s, but it must have still been in use much later as it appears on the spine of the 1st City Brigade history that I've just bought.)

(much later amendment: reference to service in Egypt was originally typed as 1901 - typographical error)

John.

I presume that you actually mean 1801 for the 96ths service in Egypt rather than 1901! :P

The Mancs earned this distinction (96th Foot became 2/Manchesters I think?) at the same time as my beloved East Lancs (30th Foot), an honour which is carried on the cap badge (of most battalions)

Dave.