Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Military History Sheet'

Paul Stephens

Hi there,

Does anyone have a copy of the attached 'Military History Sheet' which isn't damaged along the lower left hand side?

I am wondering as to the wording of the section immediately below the medal entitlement, and hoped some kind person might be able to advise?

I believe it refers to next of kin but I'm not certain so any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Paul Stephens

post-8294-1179841798.jpg

The two items in that section are

Injuries in or by the Services

and

Name and Address of next of kin

Unable to read the writing as yet.

Fred

Paul,

This is a list of his children and their dates and places of birth.

What's his surname, (and that of his wife, if you have it)?

Noel

Hi Fred/Noel

I think I read this to be a bit more complicated than it really is!

I was assuming that the section between medals and marriage referred to more than just next of kin, because I didn't stop to think that the original next of kin would be superceded after marriage.

The record is for Pte Horace Bray of the 4th Middlesex (my Great grandfather), and I already know the details of his marriage and children (the youngest on the form is my grandmother), but I wasn't clear about the preceding section.

You have both helped my realise that it refers to his brother Richard (later 6th East Lancs) who would have been next of kin when Horace first enlisted in 1903 - the only thing I now can't tell is part of the address.

I believe it reads

1 Brother younger - Richard

711 ??

Southwark Street

London

SE

But I have no idea what Tavistock and Ontario refer to.

Many thanks for your help on this - and apologies for making a moutain out of a molehill!

Paul

Is the second word "House"? I've played around with the image and my best guess is "Fogans House." But it means nothing to me and Google doesn't help.

Noel

I've never seen such a document before - where did you find it?

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

This is one of about 15 pages from Horace's Service record that I managed to find at Kew.

He joined as a regular in the 4th Middlesex in October 1903, so I assume this page was contemporary with his enlistment.

I have another identical form for Pte Henry Ilett dating to 1914, so it looks as if this was standard form in use for some time.

Would any Pals be able to confirm?

Thanks

Paul

Paul

Thanx for the info - another reason to get to Kew

Stephen

Stephen, I've got a number of these as well.

On some the first page is headed "Army Form D 111" and is the Attestation of the man for Short Service with the Colours. On others the fron page of the Attestation for Long Service is the same or similar but I cannot read the number of the Form.

I can't tell from the filmed images that I have whether the remaining pages are part of the same form, but they give a very complete history of the man's service, deatails of spouse and children, wounds, medals and awards etc. etc.

Noel

Hi Fred/Noel

I think I read this to be a bit more complicated than it really is!

I was assuming that the section between medals and marriage referred to more than just next of kin, because I didn't stop to think that the original next of kin would be superceded after marriage.

The record is for Pte Horace Bray of the 4th Middlesex (my Great grandfather), and I already know the details of his marriage and children (the youngest on the form is my grandmother), but I wasn't clear about the preceding section.

You have both helped my realise that it refers to his brother Richard (later 6th East Lancs) who would have been next of kin when Horace first enlisted in 1903 - the only thing I now can't tell is part of the address.

I believe it reads

1 Brother younger - Richard

711 ??

Southwark Street

London

SE

But I have no idea what Tavistock and Ontario refer to.

Many thanks for your help on this - and apologies for making a moutain out of a molehill!

Paul

Tavistock is a community in Ontario. About halfway between London, Ontario and Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario. Ironic names in a way. Unable to help you on what it means though.

Could it mean that Richard, the nok, had gone to Tavistock, Ontario, Canada, in 1905, or was there in 1905? Is this a possibility?

Noel

Hi folks,

After a bit more digging, I believe the mystery is solved!

The Southwark address is Fegan's House, which was a children's home similar to Barnardos.

It seems Richard emigrated to Canada as part of a scheme to give deprived youngsters a better life, and though I don't have too many details yet it seems he went to Tavistock around 1904-5.

Many thanks for your help in getting to the bottom of this!

Paul