Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belgian Babies

BeppoSapone

Does anyone know anything about a "Belgian Babies" fund set up during WW1?

This was, possibly, an American organisation that sold items to raise money - see scan for an example.

The reverse of the attached card has "Copyright 1915 by Major Leon Osterrieth".

Anyone know more of this fund, or of the major?

Was this fund set up to raise money to feed and clothe Belgian babies, or is it something to do with the propaganda story of the 'Hun" bayonetting Belgian babies?

post-6-1072223145.jpg

Beppo

A Forget-me-not day was held in in March 1918 to raise money for Belgian Babies.

The flower on your item could represent a forget-me-not?

Herbert Hoover, later President of the USA, was Chairman of the US Commission for Belgian Relief. His wife Lou Henry Hoover (her father had wanted a boy!) became his partner in this venture. She talked to American women about the plight of the Belgians who had no homes, no food, nothing at all, since they had been invaded by Germany. Lou organized a California branch of the Commission for Relief in Belgium, and she raised financing and backing for one of the first food ships to be sent to Belgium from California.

She was also president of the Society of American Women in London which undertook various relief projects. She arranged for the sale of Belgian lace in order to help that industry survive during the war years.

Dave

Beppo

A Forget-me-not day was held in in March 1918 to raise money for Belgian Babies.

The flower on your item could represent a forget-me-not?

Herbert Hoover, later President of the USA, was Chairman of the US Commission for Belgian Relief. His wife Lou Henry Hoover (her father had wanted a boy!) became his partner in this venture. She talked to American women about the plight of the Belgians who had no homes, no food, nothing at all, since they had been invaded by Germany. Lou organized a California branch of the Commission for Relief in Belgium, and she raised financing and backing for one of the first food ships to be sent to Belgium from California.

She was also president of the Society of American Women in London which undertook various relief projects. She arranged for the sale of Belgian lace in order to help that industry survive during the war years.

Dave

Dave

Thanks for that, very interesting.

Do you know how widespread Lou Henry Hoover's scheme was? Did it spread to the whole of the US from California? Did they sell more than just lace in England?

However, in this case the query is answered. The item pictured was actually sent to me from California, and arrived two days ago.

Beppo

A historical note on the Commission for Relief of Belgium (CRB) can be found on this site which also details the files containing the CRB archive records.

http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/1303...oghist/98178133

Major Leon Osterrieth was the Belgian Military Attache and Head of the Belgian Mission to the USA.

Dave

Beppo

Major Leon Osterrieth is one of the officers in the attached photo.

Dave