Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is there a grave out there?

Guest alkens

Hi,

I have a question, please excuse me for asking, I am still rather new at this. MY great uncle's name appears on the Le Touret memorial in France. Does this mean there is no known grave? How can I find out if there was ever a 'proper' buriel for him?

many thanks, and merry christmas.

Paul

Paul.

You are correct. There is no "known" grave in existance for your Gt.Uncle, but there possibly could have been once.

I'm currently researching a soldier on the Ploegsteert Memorial who has no grave, but I've got an account of how he died and his funeral. I got this from the newspaper obituary announcing his death, which included a couple of statements from his comrades. I've also managed to work out the rough position of where he was originally buried.

Dave.

Paul

There will be no known grave.

This is possibly for a number of reasons.

1) There could have been no remains to find or to bury - at least as a whole body (sorry if that is distressing).

2) The body was hurridly buried in a convenient shell hole etc and its location was subsequently lost.

3) It was buried in a wartime cemetery which was subsequently destroyed. This is less likely as most such locations were known and the casualty would probably now be commemorated by a Special Memorial headstone in a nearby existing cemetery rather than on a memorial.

Ok Marco amazing story... thats the flesh bones and everything, great read and follows through to today..

Fascinating, thanks for the read

John

Hi John,

I totally agree with you on that one. Ofcourse it's a long shot, but it's given me inspiration to find out what happened to Alex (if possible).

Well done Marco.

all the best

Paul