Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LEMNOS-A tough choice

montbrehain

MO

Would really appreciate pictures of headstones of any of the Suffolk Regiment.

Many thanks have a great holiday.

Ray

MO

Would really appreciate picture of headstone of

H. Boyles

Age at death: 18

Born:

Full Name: Harry Boyles

Service, Regiment, Corps, etc: Royal Air Force

Unit, Ship, etc: No.10 Aegean Group

Enlisted:

Decorations:

War (and theatre): WW1 (Balkans)

Date of Death: 11 June 1918

Manner of Death: KOAS

Family Details: Son of Harry and Agnes Boyle, 43 Marylebone Lane, Manchester Square, London

Residence:

Home Department: Board of Trade - Statistical Department

Civilian Rank:

Cemetary or Memorial: East Mudros Military Cemetery, Greece (III.1.244)

Thanks

Alan

MO,

In Plot 2 of Portianos Military cemetery (up 'Anzac Street', behind the church) is the grave of Captain Francois BALLI, Turkish Forces, who died 26 Nov 1918. If you could get a photo of his gravestone it'd be greatly appreciated. When I was there in Winter 1996, I stayed in Mirina and hired a motorbike to get around. Unfortunately it was so cold that after riding to the cemeteries my hands were frozen and could not be warmed, so some of my photos came out pretty badly. That's one of them.

Also, and I suppose you'll get them anyway, the two Canadian nurses, Sister Munro and Matron Jaggard (Plot 5).

Thanks very much.

post-854-1180956794.jpg

Portianos Cemetery is behind the church - follow 'Anzac Street'.

post-854-1180957340.jpg

Mudros, across the harbour. East Mudros Military cemetery marked on right.

Hi Mo

Not pictures from during war but these were taken by my Grandfather during his time on HMS Royal Oak when it was based at Malta in 1932

post-5702-1180960379.jpg

post-5702-1180960406.jpg

Ray/JOATMON if you supply the names of the men you want I will try to find them otherwise I may not have the time to go looking. To others ,As I may have mentioned before I intend printing this thread off before I go , so I will have a list to jog my memory. Bryn and John, thank you for the pics. Perhaps I am presuming a bit but I think the quay shown in Bryns modern pic and Johns 30s pic may just be the one shown in my pics here that is being built by Aussies and RND , what do you reckon ? "MO"

post-13272-1180964012.jpgpost-13272-1180964031.jpg

Must admit I hadn't made the connection between pictures and the quay

MO

I just have two that are buried on Lemnos:

ALDOUS, J F

Private

1st/5th Bn Suffolk Regiment

Died 23/08/1915

Regt No: 1652

Grave Ref: II. H. 126.

EAST MUDROS MILITARY CEMETERY

PARKER, H

Private

1st/5th Bn Suffolk Regiment

Died 22/11/1915

Regt No: 2151

Grave Ref: III. D. 99.

EAST MUDROS MILITARY CEMETERY

Much appreciated

Cheers

Ray (joatmon)

MO,

Another interesting angle at Portianos Military cemetery. The first photo shows a 1915 burial. The second is the row of Anzac officers' headstones taken in 1996. Note the hill in the background of both photos. The tree and wall weren't there in 1915 of course. If you could get a shot from the same angle as the original, that would be great.

post-854-1181076110.jpg

post-854-1181076176.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mo,

Very good of you to offer this. I would love photos of the folowing if it's ok-

Private Anderson, Arthur 2251 4th Battalion, AIF Portianos Military Cemetery I.A.26

Private Cameron, Kenneth Roderick 1200 4th Battalion, AIF Portianos Military Cemetery V.A.70

L/Cpl Rice, Frank Sutherland 584 4th Battalion, AIF Portianos Military Cemetery V.A.67

Private Edgington, Albert Henry 2022 4th Battalion, AIF East Mudros Military Cemetery II.G.114

Sergeant John, John 27246 Welsh Regiment-8th Battalion East Mudros Military Cemetery I.E.73

Private O'Donoghue, James Maurice 1803 4th Battalion, AIF East Mudros Military Cemetery II.K.197

Private Price, Richard 5089 Welsh Regiment-1/4th Battalion East Mudros Military Cemetery II.H.135.

Stoker Thomas, James Brown 6765/S RNR-HMS Edgar East Mudros Military Cemetery III.H.221.

Many thanks,

SteveJ

• 2 months later...

Hi Mo

As there are about 76 NZDF troops buried on Lemnos at the East Mudros Military Cemetery and the Portianos Military Cemetery I won’t ask you to photo all those headstones but I’d really appreciate some general photos of these cemeteries – thank you so much. Have a great holiday!!

Zack

no problem Zack , I do intend posting a few on the forum. we are all looking forward to it. not long now "MO"

Mo

In preparation for your holiday, I highly recommend that you have a look at the fascinating war diary of the 3rd Canadian Stationary Hospital that was based at Mudros here:

http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/...amp;r=3&f=G

It was the place where many of those whose graves you will be taking photographs of for your entire holiday :rolleyes: would have received their last treatment.

Have a good time!

Regards

Mel

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mo,

A very kind offer you've made. Lemnos is a beautiful, rugged island. I have been there several times, albeit when I was rather young. My mother's family comes from Lemnos, hence my reason for visiting.

I only wish that I knew more about the island's historical significance when I was there or I would have explored somewhat more. I hope to get back someday, although we no longer have property there (would have made for a nice cheap hols!)

When I visited it, it was still relatively unspoiled and not terribly "touristy" like many of the more southerly islands. Hopefully it's still quiet and you have a wonderful visit.

If I am not too late, I would like to request a couple photos of headstones:

1. KW/604 Able Seaman Clare LESLIE, RNVR, East Mudros Military Cemetery, II. A. 8.

2. 1857 Lance Corporal Harry WILLIAMS, 1/6 Manchester Regiment, Portianos Military Cemetery, IV. A. 182.

I look forward to hearing about your trip upon your return!

Cheers,

Adam

Will do Adam, the fact that its not to touristy is in part what attracted us to it. I have to do a bit of a juggling act and have decided Ill probably get the Mrs to drop me off in Mudros for a while . And she with the daughters can get to the beaches :blush: . I have a few places i want to try and find ,one of them being here "MO" post-13272-1188665579.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and good luck for your trip. I am very interested if there are any German war graves on Lemnos and Imbros - in particulary from the sunken warship BRESLAU / MIDILLI. As far as I know 54 dead seamen were recovered and somewhere burried on the islands. I couldn't find anything in the German records.

Probably you can see or ask something

Best regards

Klaus

Will keep my eye open for you Klaus , And let you know of anything I may find "MO"

• 2 weeks later...

Mo

I've received the photos that you emailed me. Thanks so much for taking the trouble - I do hope your holidaying didn't get in the way of your CWGC visits!

Many thanks

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if there may be any nices badges etc in local junk shops? Find that local beach-comber!

I do not think such badges exist in shops, as nonthing of generic trade has lef on the island I assume. Maybe some taverns might have kept some from excavations near their houses and exhibit them on the walls as decorative elements mainly. I have seen many rare photos in taverns as well.

Hi Mo

Not pictures from during war but these were taken by my Grandfather during his time on HMS Royal Oak when it was based at Malta in 1932

post-5702-1180960379.jpg

post-5702-1180960406.jpg

may I ask if the last pic shows moudros harbour please ?

MO,

Another interesting angle at Portianos Military cemetery. The first photo shows a 1915 burial. The second is the row of Anzac officers' headstones taken in 1996. Note the hill in the background of both photos. The tree and wall weren't there in 1915 of course. If you could get a shot from the same angle as the original, that would be great.

post-854-1181076110.jpg

post-854-1181076176.jpg

I send a wide angle image I took at the visit of AUS Ambassador in Greece for the anzac day. On the left (not shown) is the location of memorial.

Taken in 2006

post-26005-1191587744.jpg

welcome Vass , It was nice to meet and chat to you on Lemnos. Yes that is a picture of Mudros supplied by Member JOHNBELCHER. I am sure that members of the forum would be glad to hear from a local and any information you may be able to supply. your picture certainly looks a bit greener than when we were there :lol: "MO"

thank you monte. Indeed the photo is a bit greenish for the islands weather data.

I will be happy to reply any querries might arise on the island.

Today, I have heard the russians have applied to UK for licence to move and burry ? their casualties in the moudros cemetary.

Usually they were around this time as 8 OCT is Lemnos liberation day, and next the parade street (at romeikos beach/ caffe street) is one of their monuments there (non-anzac I think).

Maybe if UK cannot reply to them or give them permission, I think the chance to see them around is minimal for this year.

I saw all you pics and some map drawings. You did a nice job mate ! Born to be a chartographer !

I am waiting for your future texts and rest of info.

Very helpful and important forum in memory of all casualties etc. during war. Well done !

by the way, if any of forum members need assistance all weather-all year please feel free to drop a line.

I am trying to get used to navigation here...

Regards,

• 3 years later...
Guest Sally Pearson

Is this post still active? My father was a pilot with 226 squadron, based in Lemnos in September and October 1918. I have an album of his photographs, including one of a coastal scene, which I think could be Moudros harbour, with the finished camp.....

I note that Thomas Cook and others flog package holidays here. Could be an interesting week.

Can anyone who has holidayed here comment on whether the place works as a holiday destination - rather than just its obvious charms to us anoraks.