Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LEMNOS-A tough choice

montbrehain

Last Night I paid for our holiday on Lemnos in September. After 2 years of visiting Spain for our holidays (Nerja , which we love) the Mrs and daughters decided they wanted to visit the Greek islands. (What a hard choice I had to make :lol: ) Anyway Lemnos it is. I have been searching for pictures of the time for comparison shots . If you have any that you think may be of interest ? I would be pleased if you could send me a copy (or post it on the forum). I will also do Grave photograph requests if anybody requires them . I will bring this back to the top closer to the time , just to nudge people memories . Now we look forward to September :D "MO"

post-13272-1179210386.jpgpost-13272-1179210412.jpg

post-13272-1179210437.jpg

Wow!!! I'm interested! Let me think of a heap of requests and get back to you! This island has heaps of significance for Kiwis and Aussies! Thanks for the advanced warning!

Regards

Zack (ever so significantly tinged with GREEN!)

Hi,

9th West Yorkshires were on Lemnos too after sailing out of Liverpool for Gallipoli.

If you come across anything related to them a snap would be nice. In reality I have no idea what if anything there is on the island with any connection to this battalion, thats why I generalised.

Thank you very much!

Nigel

Mo,

have a great holiday, however think of the agony of being able to see the feint outline of Gallipoli on the horizon and not being able to get there, :o

Can i suggest you highjack a passing fishing boat, or even a pedalo? :lol:

Much to my wifes frustration i always try to locate a CWGC somewhere on our hol's, this year we are on a cruise and I aim to visit a single grave in Palma, Majorca and four WW1 graves in Venice!

Have a great trip,

Regards,

Scottie.

Mo,

have a great holiday, however think of the agony of being able to see the feint outline of Gallipoli on the horizon and not being able to get there, :o

Can i suggest you highjack a passing fishing boat, or even a pedalo? :lol:

Much to my wifes frustration i always try to locate a CWGC somewhere on our hol's, this year we are on a cruise and I aim to visit a single grave in Palma, Majorca and four WW1 graves in Venice!

Have a great trip,

Regards,

Scottie.

For the pedalo option, might I suggest you contact Mr. Flintoff for advice?

Bruce

Can I take you up on your kind offer of a photo on Lemnos, the details are:

Private David Robert Williams

No 1342

Age 24

Died 3 September 1915

1/6th Royal Welsh Fusiliers

From Penmaenmawr, North Wales

Portianos Military Cemetery IV, C, 258

There are 350 CWGC graves in this cemetery

I have just come back from Gallipoli and was "tracking" the boys from Penmaenmawr in the 6th RWF who landed at Suvla on 9 August and were decimated in the attack on Scimitar Hill the following day. Many of his comrades are remembered on the Helles Memorial and it would be lovely to have a photograph of Private Williams.

Thanks v much

Moriaty

We will wave to you from Suvla :P

Shirley. Chris and travelling circum

We will wave to you from Suvla :P

Shirley. Chris and travelling circus

Yes please.

I have five men at East Mudros Mil Cem and one at Portianos. I would be grateful if you could take photos of their headstones.

All the men are 9th Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby)

Portianos Cem Lemnos

Derbyshire G 18/10/15 IV E 210

East Mudros Mil Cem-

Dikin G H 4/12/1915 III D 117

Patterson W A 9/10/1915 III A 25

Rowland J H 22/8/1915 II I 163

Towey J 14/8/1915 II E 80

Black R 16/10/1915 - whoops lost his ref ( will get back to you!)

11th Div landed there prior to the Suvla Bay landings. They also spent Christmas 1915 there before moving to Egypt.

32nd, 33rd and 34th Brigades were part of 11th Div. They were 'possibly' the first Kitchener men to go into the front line. The 9th SF worked with the Naval Div at Helles from 24th July 1915 and lost their first officer and OR on that day.

At Suvla the 9th SF were tasked with linking up with the ANZACs.

Stevem

Yes please.

I have five men at East Mudros Mil Cem and one at Portianos. I would be grateful if you could take photos of their headstones.

All the men are 9th Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby)

Portianos Cem Lemnos

Derbyshire G 18/10/15 IV E 210

East Mudros Mil Cem-

Dikin G H 4/12/1915 III D 117

Patterson W A 9/10/1915 III A 25

Rowland J H 22/8/1915 II I 163

Towey J 14/8/1915 II E 80

Black R 16/10/1915 - whoops lost his ref ( will get back to you!)

11th Div landed there prior to the Suvla Bay landings. They also spent Christmas 1915 there before moving to Egypt.

32nd, 33rd and 34th Brigades were part of 11th Div. They were 'possibly' the first Kitchener men to go into the front line. The 9th SF worked with the Naval Div at Helles from 24th July 1915 and lost their first officer and OR on that day.

At Suvla the 9th SF were tasked with linking up with the ANZACs.

Stevem

Found him

Black R ref III B 46 East Mudros Cem

I am attempting (with the help of many kind people) to have photographs of the headstones/Memorials of every 9th Bn man that died - 750.

stevem

'MO'

This is a most generous offer. At risk of comandeering your entire holiday, may I bid for the following graves, please, all in East Mudros Military Cemetery, Lemnos.

Clyde Z/2256 Able Seaman Alexander Addison II.A.15

London Z/265 Able Seaman Wilfred Victor Bailey I.F.105

Mersey 5/148 Able Seaman Thomas John Edge II.P.274

Tyneside Z/3691 Able Seaman John William Gillon II.A.15

Kitchener X/478 Able Seaman John MacNulty III.C.87

Dev/SS/103567 Stoker 1st Class Michael Mulroy I.D.81

Kitchener W/108 Able Seaman Samuel Sayes I.D.95

Kitchener W/218 Able Seaman David Spencer I.A.3

Mersey 5/162 Able Seaman James Wareing II.A.3

H2

Hi MO,

I am also attempting to gather a battalion-wide archive of headstones and memorials. There are four of 'my' KOSB men buried on Lemnos - if you are able to get photos of any of these it will be very much appreciated.

East Mudros Military Cemetery

Private, 1456, Richard Carruthers: II. C. 46.

Private, 1907, Alexander Milligan: III. C. 84.

Sergeant, 83, John William Jackson: III. F. 164.

Portianos Military Cemetery, Lemnos

CSM, 26, Frederick William Sinclair: V. C. 126.

Thank you for the offer,

Stuart

Last Night I paid for our holiday on Lemnos in September. After 2 years of visiting Spain for our holidays (Nerja , which we love) the Mrs and daughters decided they wanted to visit the Greek islands. (What a hard choice I had to make :lol: ) Anyway Lemnos it is. I have been searching for pictures of the time for comparison shots . If you have any that you think may be of interest ? I would be pleased if you could send me a copy (or post it on the forum). I will also do Grave photograph requests if anybody requires them . I will bring this back to the top closer to the time , just to nudge people memories . Now we look forward to September :D "MO"

If it is a success will it be Skyros next year or will the penny have dropped with the family?

I have to say that the beaches at Suvla are pretty much deserted and with shallow sloping .......

All , thanks for your best wishes and replies. And No Im not doing this A## backwards :lol: I have been to the peninsula. Its just that so many photos of Mudros and Lemnos turn up that it has always interested me. And Hey if i can keep the family happy then that's a bonus ! A few years ago I would have thought twice about putting out such an offer, but with the advent of digital cameras and large memory cards I don't mind at all. I hope its sunny though so the Mrs and daughters can lay on the beach all they like, and I can go and do a bit of hunting around and of course visit the 2 cemeteries ( I hope to obtain 2 British Legion poppy crosses before we go). I would still like any photos if you have them ? Keep them requests coming "MO"

Heres the sort of things I would like. "MO"

post-13272-1179251709.jpgpost-13272-1179251774.jpg[attac

hment=60850:lemnos_ships.jpg]

post-13272-1179251827.jpg

All , thanks for your best wishes and replies. And No Im not doing this A## backwards :lol: I have been to the peninsula. Its just that so many photos of Mudros and Lemnos turn up that it has always interested me. And Hey if i can keep the family happy then that's a bonus ! A few years ago I would have thought twice about putting out such an offer, but with the advent of digital cameras and large memory cards I don't mind at all. I hope its sunny though so the Mrs and daughters can lay on the beach all they like, and I can go and do a bit of hunting and of course visit the 2 cemeteries ( I hope to obtain 2 British Legion poppy crosses before we go). I would still like any photos if you have them ? Keep them requests coming "MO"

Make sure you have an afternoon off for yourself :rolleyes:

stevem

... or three? Don't forget West Mudros Moslem Cemetery.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_detail...9006&mode=1

I for one would be very interested to see a photo or two from there, if you have the time.

Adrian

Thanks And If at all possible I will visit and pay my respects. I did not know of this cemetery "MO"

'MO'

Thank you for posting those excellent pictures. Some very interesting RND characters there. From whose album are they?

H2

Thanks for your kind offer Mo

If passing would appreciate pics of these graves/Mems. of these men.

EAST MUDROS MILITARY CEMETERY

Tacey, Douglas, Royal Scots Fusiliers 02/07/1915 : II. B. 28.

Kennedy, Hugh B, Royal Scots Fusiliers 18/12/1915 : III. E. 147.

Andrew, Alexander, Royal Scots Fusiliers 12/07/1915 : II. A. 8.

Talman, William, Royal Scots Fusiliers 28/08/1915 : II. I. 147.

Reid, David Royal Scots Fusiliers 05/07/1915 I. G. 113.

PORTIANOS MILITARY CEMETERY

Gardner, John, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve 08/11/1915 : V. C. 122.

Lockhart, Ritchie B, Royal Scots Fusiliers 11/11/1915 : V. C. 131.

All these men came from villages within a 10-15 mile radius of Ayr.

Thanks Mo

Regards

James Brown

MO

I would be grateful for a few images if you get the opportunity

PORTIANOS

Pte T L Bailey, 15333 7th South Staffs

DoW 11/8/1915

Grave I. A. 8.

EAST MUDROS

L/C A E Scriven, 1295 1st/7th Bn., Lancashire Fusiliers

DoW 14/8/1915

Grave I. B. 4.

and

Pte H Perrins 12420 4th Worcesters

DoW 21/06/15

Grave I. C. 54.

Many thanks

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I would really appreciate a photo of the headstone for Pte P.E. Bruguier, Plymouth Battalion, RND who is buried in East Mudros Military Cemetery.

Have a great trip.

thanks, Steve

If time permits, pics would be appreciated of the following 6th Manchesters at East Mudros:-

Arthur Anderson, 2543, II D 68

George Evans, 2118, I A 9

Donald ferguson, 2915, III A 14

J Hough, 2031, I A 6

G Roberts, 1667, I A 8

However, more important that you have a good hols.

John

Mo,

Could I please add one more request?

East Mudros Military Cemetery

Plot II. J. 167 - 11279 Pte E. WHITE, York & Lancaster Regiment, 25/8/1915

Have a lovely holiday!

Grant

I will do my best to photograph all you ask. I have been trawling through Lemnos photos and I really hope to find these 2 places ( plus a load more). it may be once in a lifetime visit, but then again you never know :D "MO"

post-13272-1180897770.jpgpost-13272-1180897782.jpg