Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hampshire Regiment

Marc Thompson

Hello,

I am researching the men on the 14-18 War Memorials in Buckhurst Hill, Essex.

One man served in the Hampshire Regt. My scanty information about him is below, (I have photocopied the btn war diary for the days round his death) anything else you may have would be most welcome:-

Pte. 26503 Walter William Mayes, 2nd/4th Btn Hampshire Regt., formerly Pte. 2165 Essex Regt., was killed in action on Thurs. Sept. 12th 1918, and having no known grave is commemorated on panel 6 of the Vis-En-Artois Memorial. 22 year old Walter, the son of Henry William and Sarah Mayes of 15 Alfred Road is remembered on the War Memorials at both St. John’s and St. Stephen’s. He was entitled to the War and Victory medals. Walter’s death was not reported in the Essex County Chronicle until 28th Feb. 1919.

Bill Oliver

Guest erbojones

Hi, I'm researching a family member who was with the 2/4 Bn Hampshire Regiment and won an MM in France. Could I ask how and where I find a copy of the war diary/history from around the time they were in France i.e. June - November 1918?

Lesley

• 2 years later...

Hello

Do you have details for the 1st Bn Hampshires first few days in France leading up to the action at Le Cateau. Does Pte AG Bishop 7297 get a mention his papers suggest he was wounded during the action which would make him one of the battalions first casulties. Thoughts observations appriciated

Peter

• 2 months later...

Marc,

A friend of mine is researching his Great Uncle, who served with the 8th Hampshires at Gallipoli, he has a copy of his uncles story:

"A Soldiers Tale Gallipoli 1916"

Fred Reynard

February 1916

ADDENDUM

My story is composed from notes I made when on the Peninsula, and rewritten on my way from MUDROS to ALEXANDRIA, but by good fortune I posted them to England or they would have been lost forever when the ship, SS Minnewaska, was sunk while bringing me home. There are many stories not included I could tell which, although true, would never be believed. Some of the things I saw perhaps are better not written, for it would bring no credit to the human race. Nevertheless my experience is one that will always live with me until I go where the thousands of those lads went.

I am sure he would love any information you may be able to give him about his uncle or the 8th.

Fred Reynard

8/1311/ 330172 Serjeant 8th Hampshire Regiment

Lieutenant 18th Corps Cyclist Battalion

Many Thanks in Advance

Tom

post-13002-1218194854.jpg

post-13002-1218194887.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi, my grandmother's uncle, Private Leonard Horace Brading died on 12-03-1918 (don't know how, it's before the Michael offensive), and is buried in Oxford Road cemetery but there seems to be a bit of a query on this. The CWGC have him down as serving in W Coy, 2nd Battalion, but the regimental museum say that he was with the 11th Battalion Pioneers when he entered a theatre of war but they are not sure which theatre. I am tracking down any possible photos and records of his within the family and will pass copies of them to you as and when, but I don't know if you can shed any light on my confusion. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 4 years later...

read your blog on Lt. FT Cade does anyone know anymore about him?

Hampshire Regiment. He has no known grave on the Thiepval Memorial (72,195 names)

Son of Surgeon Sidney E.P and Ethel Cade of Titchfield, Fareham Hampshire

Sister Lois Margret Cade 1899-1984

He has an inscription to his memory at St. Peter’s Church, Titchfield, Hants.

• 5 months later...

I am closing this topic as marc indicated that he would not be responding to further requests some time back.

Keith