Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hampshire Regiment

Marc Thompson

I'm pleased that you were able to identify where the bathing picture was taken - which company was despatched to Qalet Saleh as a matter of interest?

Ed,

Unfortunately, the sources that I have do not indicate which companies these were.

Marc

Hi Marc

I have copies of South Shropshire Absent Voters Lists, I can look for Hampshire Regiment chaps if you want ?

Annette

Thanks for the kind offer Annette. Only if you have time. Please don't go to too much trouble.

Many thanks

Marc

Hello,

I am trying to establish some details about a great uncle - 10832 Albert (Edward) COX who served in the 2nd Bn Hampshire Regt in WW1.

DOB : 18 Aug 1895

Parents : James and Sarah COX (nee KING)

He survived the sinking of the "Royal Edward" in 1915, but was killed by shellfire in France 14 Oct 1916. At the time of his death, he was with 'W' Coy.

I want to understand some history of the Regt. in particular, were survivors of the Royal Edward sent to Gallipoli ? What turn of events took him to France and the Somme where he was killed. What was his Coy doing at the time of his death.

For more info and photo, please see

http://www.geocities.com/cox_tree/Albert_COX.html

Several other relatives have served with the Hampshires in WW1 & 2.

many thanks,

Stu McKay

Australia

Stu,

Welcome to the forum and many thanks for that very interesting link.

Two hundred of the Hampshire's on board H.M.T. "Royal Edward" were the first two drafts from the 13th (Reserve) Bn, with another 50 from the 3rd (Reserve) Bn. Pte 10832 Albert Edward Cox (not Edward Albert as shown on the CWGC online database) was one of just twenty-six survivors from this number when the ship was sunk.

Survivors from the sinking were picked up by the hospital ship "Soudan". She was later joined by the "Achilles", two French destroyers and various Greek fishing trawlers.

Pte Cox subsequently joined the 2nd Hampshire's on 26th August 1915 (his date of entry into a theatre of war) at Suvla Bay. The War Diary entry for this date records that a "Draft of 14 other ranks joined - survivors from Royal Edward".

Pte Cox was entitled to a 15 Star trio. SDGW indicates that he was born and enlisted in Ringwood, Hampshire.

The 2nd Hampshire's finally evacuated the peninsula on 8th January 1916 leaving for Mudros. They reached Alexandria on 13th January and on landing were despatched to Suez where much needed refitting and re-equiping was possible. Under 600 all told had left Gallipoli.

The Battalion was transferred to France in March 1916, landing at Marseilles on 21st March where they entered hostilities on the Western Front.

The regimental history contains 3 pages covering the attack near Gueudecourt in October 1916 in which Pte Cox was killed. I will scan these pages in and e-mail them to you together with a summary of the 2nd Hampshire's movements from March 1916.

I may be able to fill in a few more gaps for Pte Cox shortly. I will also check the local papers of the time for Ringwood to see if there is any mention of him.

I'd be very greatful for permission to add his photograph to my Hampshire Regiment database and to learn more about him and your other relatives who served with the Hampshire's in WW1.

Regards

Marc

Hello Marc,

Thank you so much for the information.

Please use the photograph to add to your database.

To assemble these pieces of information together and record what we can is one small way we can acknowledge the huge sacrifices this generation made and leave something for our children to read about our relatives.

Am I correct in interpreting your information that it wasn't until he landed at Sulva Bay on 26 Aug 1915, that he became a part of the 2nd Hampshire Regt ?

I will try to unravel more Hampshires from relatives in England.

Albert had several cousins who I have been told served in WW1 and there is a good chnace they served with the Hampshires as all were from Ringwood, Hampshire.

One of Albert's brothers, 20377 Frederick James COX was in the Royal Engineers and died at Bovington military hospital 06 Apr 1921

Another brother, Walter Sidney COX served in WW2 - presumably with Hampshires.

Two of Alberts nephews served with the Hampshires in WW2 (5500248 Albert Charles COX and 5502122 George James COX)

Stu McKay

Hi Marc

I wonder if you could help me with some details of a 28969, Pte, Walter John Purveur, 2/4th Battalion Hampshire Regiment. He died of wounds just a week before the Armistice.

He originally enlisted into the Gloucestershire Regiment before transferring to the Hampshires. Looking at the badges from a photo of him taken from a local newspaper in late November 1918 it appears that he is sporting neither Gloucesters nor the Hampshires badge.

Anyway, I would be most grateful for any info that you may have on him.

Regards

Jimmy

To assemble these pieces of information together and record what we can is one small way we can acknowledge the huge sacrifices this generation made and leave something for our children to read about our relatives.

My sentiments exactly Stu.

Am I correct in interpreting your information that it wasn't until he landed at Sulva Bay on 26 Aug 1915, that he became a part of the 2nd Hampshire Regt ?

That is correct. Prior to that he was either in the 13th (Reserve) Bn or 3rd (Reserve) Bn.

His death is also recorded in the Regimental Journal casualty lists for December 1916 - no further elaboration is given.

I'd be very interested to read the remainder of the letter from the Platoon Serjeant that you quote on your web page and his name / regimental number if that is possible.

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Marc,

Am trying to establish comms with relative in UK who has original letter. I'll add it to the site and advise when complete.

I often think of that PlSgt - taking time out to write such a detailed and considerate letter to the parents of one of his soldiers.

Thanks,

Stu

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I've been researching my grandfather's service and come up with some details but would really appreciate anything you might be able to dig up.

Pte Robert Herbert Paddock Regt No 31800

MIC shows enlistment 05/06/16 and discharge as 08/08/18 (these in contradiction to his entry in the Roll of Honour/Southampton 4 Area and his own telling of the story to family).

Discharge is quoted as "Para 2a1" (I think, could be 201) and "Para 392 xvi Wounds KR".

List C/541/1 is also noted and there is a faint handwritten number in front of the Regiment - and it looks like "11".

As he was a big lad - 6'7", a giant for his time - and the 11th is listed as a Pioneer battalion it might fit.

The Roll shows he volunteered in April '15 - underage as he always told us - and served on the Western Front from later that year and was entitled to the 1915 Star which isn't borne out by the MIC....

Confusing innit but not unusual I suspect. I wonder whether the medal records were adjusted to "erase" any underage service?

He was severely wounded and carried shrapnel in his head for the rest of his life and his leg was seriously damaged and scarred. No mention of a wound badge though.

Any help would be really useful. The previous entries on the 11th Btn have been really interesting.

Thanks

Chris

• 1 month later...

Chris,

With apologies for the delay in responding to you.

The MIC (confirmed by the Medal Roll) for Pte 31800 Robert Herbert Paddock indicate an entitlement to a pair (British War & Victory Medals). The Medal Roll confirms that on entry into a theatre of war (France & Belgium) Robert was with the 11th (Service) Bn (Pioneers), Hampshire Regiment but at some later stage was transferred to 2nd Bn, Hampshire Regiment.

List C/541/1 that you mention refers to the Silver War Badge (SWB) list. This provides us with a SWB number of 431080, enlistment date 05/06/16 and discharge date 08/08/18 at age 20. The age ties in with the 1901 census data for Robert H Paddock aged 3 born in Shirley, Southampton, Hampshire given to you in another thread. Kings Regulations Paragraph 392 and its sub section are frequently quoted on the MIC and SWB cards. Most commonly found, is Para 392 (xvi) No longer physically fit for war service - in this case as a result of wounds.

In terms of discrepancies with the entry in the National Roll of the Great War you may be interested in the following threads.

The National Roll - Some Pitfalls

National Roll of Honour - Who was included?

I am not saying that the entry for your grandfather's service in the Southampton volume is fictious. Simply that I have viewed no surviving service record to determine what action he had actually seen. As it stands, comparison with the military records available do provide discrepancies with dates and medal entitlement.

I wonder whether the medal records were adjusted to "erase" any underage service?

I have acquired no evidence to suggest that this is the case with the Hampshire's. On the contrary, I have come across a number of entries on the medal rolls for soldiers who were underage for overseas service when they first entered a theatre of war.

Marc

I wonder if you could help me with some details of a 28969, Pte, Walter John Purveur, 2/4th Battalion Hampshire Regiment. He died of wounds just a week before the Armistice.

He originally enlisted into the Gloucestershire Regiment before transferring to the Hampshires. Looking at the badges from a photo of him taken from a local newspaper in late November 1918 it appears that he is sporting neither Gloucesters nor the Hampshires badge.

Jimmy,

Unfortunately, I have very little information to add at this stage other than to confirm that Pte 28969 Walter John Purveur was entitled to a pair (British War & Victory Medals) and thus entered a theatre of war with 2/4th Hampshire's sometime after 1 Jan 1916.

His previous service with the Gloucesters is not reflected on the Medal Roll which would suggest that he transferred to the Hampshire's at some point prior to going overseas.

A good account of the 2/4th Hampshire's movements is given in Captain Bacon's "Wanderings of a Temporary Warrior" although it is extremely scant on mentioning individuals by name.

Marc

Marc

Thank you for the incredible detail on "The old man" - as he was invariably known by his family.

I was priviledged as a young boy to be able to sit with my grandfather and listen to him talk of the War, something that I believe he didn't do with his own sons. I remember him talking of his training and use of the Lewis Gun and for many years believed there were places in France and Belgium called "Wipers" and "Arris". In the case of the latter his description of the hospital under the town square was borne out wonderfully when I first visited Arras as an adult.

He returned home and took up his work as a driver - and in these modern days of Disabled certification it makes me smile to remember that he couldn't use a footbrake very well and always used the handbrake whilst driving at very low speeds! He must have managed very well though because he ended up with 25 years worth of Safe Driving Certificates from RoSPA when working for Eastleigh Borough Council.

He was also active as an original member of the Old Comrades Club (nowadays the "Old" has been dropped from the title) and turned out on Armistice Day each year with all his mates. Unfortunately his medals were lost when he died and so the existence of the 1915 Star - if it was awarded - cannot be verified that way.

On the subject of the 11th Battalion, the regimental history held in Eastleigh Library has quite a lot of interesting detail on their movements and action. Must have been a rotten job at times working as pioneers.

Thanks again. Fascinating stuff.

I'm now working on his father in law, my great grandfather, George Pitcher (also in the Roll of Honour) who served in Mesopotamia as a traction engine driver with what was then the Mechanical and Electrical Company. That might prove interesting.

As was the discovery, from the 1901 census information, that Robert had a half brother of whom I had no knowledge. A bit of probing and questioning of my mother brought the startling news that "Uncle Billy" live in Chandlers Ford up until his untimely end when he was killed by the first V1 buzz bomb to land on that district!

That was interesting enough, and worth some deeper investigation, but even that was eclipsed by the revelation that Roberts' sister (Kate born in 1903) had a son, Roy, who was killed when HMS Hood was sunk.

You see what this site does to people! Thanks for the detail and your incredible knowledge shared with us all out here.

Jingle Bells to You and Yours

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Marc

Thanks for the two links regarding the National Roll which proved fascinating reading. I suspect that along with many others I believed the Roll to be a national register rather than a commercial enterprise. It obviously has its uses and can provide a starting point for research - where there is an entry - but caution must be the watchword.

I'd strongly recommend checking out these links to gain a little insight into the Roll and its "accuracy".

Thanks again for the detail in your replies. When are we likely to see your work in print, so I can put it on my Christmas list?

Chris

Hi,

Wondered if you could do a look up for me please.

15th (2nd portsmouth) Battalion of the Royal Hampshire regiment. This battalion was part of the 122nd Brigade of the 41st Division. Dates I want checking are 17th - 26th August 1918.

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Aaron.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Marc

I thought you'd be pleased to know that whilst having a rummage through some old boxes at my mother's home I came across a little silver war badge - and thanks to your assistance - confirmed it as that of my grandfather - No: 431080 is firmly stamped on the reverse.

Just a small physical link but I'm sure you'll understand the emotional feelings when I found the badge.

Thank you again for your incredible information database. It's helped me come a long way in my family research.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Marc,

Wondering if you could help me with a query about the 1/6th, the only information i have is from E.A. James on this unit. Just wondered if there was anything else re the 1/6th.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Hi Marc, I have a personal artifact from a Captain " E.C Young Hants Regt." Please feel free to email me if you want to discuss this, as I have been trying to gather information on the Captain for some time now. Thank You..... Tag

I have a personal artifact from a Captain " E.C Young  Hants Regt." I have been trying to gather information on the Captain for some time now.

Tag,

Some information from file WO339/25727 at the National Archives:

Temporary captain (acting Major) Ernest Charles Young, Hampshire Regiment

A civil and mechanical engineer, Tientsin, North China. Member of Institute of Municipal Engineers, Institute of Water Engineers, and a Fellow of Royal Geographical Society.

Born 16th July 1871. Height 6ft 2½in. Weight 13st 2½lbs

Chest measurement 36½in. with range of expansion 2½in.

Service History:

1889-1890 Private - Second Cheshire Railway Engineer Volunteers

1890-1893 First Battalion Scots Guards (bought discharge when Lance Corporal)

1897-1899 Trooper - Burma Valley Light Horse

Approx 1910-1914 Subaltern in command of half company Tientsin British Volunteer Corps

Granted temporary commission as Captain circa March 1915 and joined 10th East Lancs

Gazetted as relinquishing the acting rank of Major on ceasing to be employed as 2nd in Command of 53rd (Y.S.) Battalion, Devon Regiment, with effect from 09/02/1919. Acting Major 05/02/1918 - 09/02/1919. Released from military duty from 09/02/1919 and repatriated to Tientsin.

Hope that this helps.

Marc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Marc,

I'm researching the V Beach landing. I would be very grateful if, at your convenience, you could give me a list of 2nd Hampshires killed on 25th, 26th and 27th April 1915.

I believe that some of the battalion landed on beaches other than V Beach. Is there any way of separating out those who were killed at V Beach and those who died of wounds as a result of the action at V Beach?

Kind regards,

Philip

• 1 month later...

Marc,

any info on:

Pte. George Harris, 1st Battalion 28/3/18.

Pte.William Parker 'W' coy. 2nd Battalion,2/10/18.

Pte. Alfred Rose,2nd Battalion, 28/11/17.

Pte.Harold Saw 2nd Battalion 6/8/15.

Nick.

• 2 weeks later...

Marc

A long shot, but can you please find out anything about Private Charles Smith, G Coy, 2592, 1/4th Hampshire, who died on September 15, 1914 and is buried in Shrewton St Mary Churchyard on the edge of Salisbury Plain. He came from Park Prewett, Basingstoke. The well-known local photographer, A F Marrett, published at least eight postcards of his funeral. I've tried the local Wiltshire and Basingstoke papers for 1914 but with no luck - there was a great deal more war news involving local soldiers to report then. I guess he would have died from illness or a training accident.

I did start a search at what was then the PRO but got lost among all the other C Smiths.

When I visited the grave about four years ago it had a small, fresh floral tribute on it.

Thanks

Marc

Sorry, it's me again, with an even longer shot.

Ernest Walter Brudenell Gill joined the 9th Hampshire as a private early in the Great War. Soon he was on the Wiltshire Downs above Devizes carrying out wireless experiments with a temporary aerial rigged to an old shepherd's tin hut. He refers to an "army intelligence station, originally at Slough" [Langley?], moving to "the downs above Devizes", presumably to the Marconi wireless station that had been nearing completion when war broke out. After service in the East, Gill returned in 1918 to the station as a major in the Royal Engineers (though apparantly a member of military intelligence, MI1e, responsible for breaking codes and analysing traffic) and its commanding officer officer. He discreetly refers to the station in “War, Wireless and Wangles“, (Blackwell, Oxford 1934) stating that it determined the position of enemy wireless stations and the movements of enemy aircraft. He became a Fellow of Merton College, Oxford and its bursar.(Merton knew nothing about him when I enquired.) I suspect that as soon he became involved in something hush-hush his personal records become discreet and he soon severed his links with the 9th, thus leaving your area of expertise.

• 1 month later...
Two hundred of the Hampshire's on board H.M.T. "Royal Edward" were the first two drafts from the 13th (Reserve) Bn, with another 50 from the 3rd (Reserve) Bn.

Marc,

Pte 12021 Ernest Pettifer 2nd Hampshires is listed as died at sea in SDGW, i've just noticed the date of the sinking of H.M.T. Royal Edward, so I assume he died in this incident. Can you tell me any more about him? I already have the SDGW and CWGC info. sorry I don't have more info. Were men from the 2nd also aboard - that's his Bn given in the records.

• 2 months later...

CLOSURE OF LOOKUPS FOR THE HAMPSHIRE REGIMENT

Many apologies, but for a variety of reasons I will no longer be undertaking "look-ups" from the regimental history nor posting other information on the Hampshires in this thread.

Sorry!

Marc :)