Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hampshire Regiment

Marc Thompson

Martin / David,

I will need to do some research on both of your relatives. I'll get back to you shortly hopefully with some further information.

Marc

Marc can you look up any reference to the soldier listed below.. he is on our memorial in Stock in Essex

Stanley Bacon was a Private in the Hampshire Regiment (14th battalion), originally he was in the Essex Regiment, having enlisted in Chelmsford. He died of wounds received, during the final phases of the battles for the Somme and is buried in the Contay British Cemetery, Contay. The site was chosen in August 1916 for burials from the 49th Casualty Clearing Station, which arrived at Contay at the end of August. It was joined by the 9th CCS in September. He as nineteen and died 12th November 1916

Cheers

John

Marc,

Thanks, any information would be of use. The reason why I am researching is that I came across what I believe to be his his last letter sent home on 21st June 1917 on YMCA paper as well as a letter from the medical unit that treated him(46th CCS) without success. I note that you are interested in photos/information. I could probably scan the letters and send them to you if you are interested.

Let me know,

Thanks,

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
Guest duncan_amos

Hello

I am trying to find information relating to my grandfather Private 206010 Alfred Robert Amos of the 2/7 Hants Regiment during WW1.

Being fairly new to family history and very new to military history, I am not too sure what I want or what is available.

I would like to find out when he joined up, where he served, which battles he survived, what medals he was awarded and when he was discharged - those type of things.

Does anyone have any information or could point me in the right direction?

Thanks for any help offered

Duncan R.Amos

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The medal index card for 206010 Pte Alfred R AMOS Hamps Regt indicates that he was entitled to a pair (British War & Victory Medals). The card only gives his 6 figure number so his medals would have been engraved as such and indicate that he first served overseas during or after April 1917, when the TF units were re-numbered.

Go to the mother site for information on the 7th Bn Hampshire Regiment.

Ian

:) I have one; QUEW Pte William James Donald 5509814 Hampshire Regt. Listed as being at Magdalen Hill, died 26/12/1942. Could anyone give me any more information about William and the cemetry where he now rests. Thank you from NZ

( I have also put this post on 'CEMETRY 'S' no reply as yet) :) Thanx again,

Hi Marc

I sent you a private e mail ref Pte G Johnson 1st Hants as I was unsure as how to send it via the site, Ive now worked it out. Looking foreward to your reply

Brian

Could anyone give me any more information about William and the cemetry where he now rests.

Quew,

Although a WWII casualty I can provide you with a photograph of the cemetery and his headstone. :)

The regimental depots of the Hampshire Regiment, the Rifle Brigade and the King's Royal Rifle Corps were at Winchester during both wars. Winchester (Magdalen Hill) Cemetery contains burials of both wars, mostly in the war graves plot, the rest scattered throughout the cemetery. The cemetery is in Alresford Road, Chilcomb, about 3 kilometres east of Winchester railway station and covers 15 hectares.

See the link below for details of where to write to for WWII service records (this assumes that you are related to Pte Quew).

World War Two Forum

Marc

Mark

Have you by any chance any mention of the following chaps:

Sgt Arthur Cyphus 13208 12th Hants

Pte Frederick Vellender 13812 12th Hants

Any info would be much appreciated.

Regards

Clare

Brian,

Welcome to the forum.

I have dropped you a response to your interesting e-mail. Hopefully with further information to follow shortly.

Marc

Did you get anywhere with Stanley Bacon?

I'm going to do some background research on him next week at the NA John.

Marc

Marc,

Wondered if you have any info on what the 1/4th Hamps were doing in mid to late May 1916.

I am interested in L/Cpl Roger Edward Peel who died 21 May 1916. From the main site it would appear the battalion were in Mespot, which agrees with SD, well CWGC shows Roger as being commemorated on the Basra Memorial. Elements of the battalion were captured at Kut, with a composite unit being formed from the remaining companies, but hoped you might have some additional detail.

Roger appears to have been originally from Hants but moved to Stamford, Lincs working at the Capital and Counties Bank for about 6 years.

Also having some difficultly with his number:

CWGC shows-3443

SD-2443

His brother's Canadian Attestestation Papers:3441 (Roger was listed as next of kin, with an address of "2nd Batt, Hampshire Regt, Kitchener's B'ks, Quetta, India.")

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Jim

Hello Marc

Do you have any details for the 1/4 TF battalion during first six months of 1918?

I am trying to establish reason for 241499 Pte W Smith dying of wounds in May of that year, and a general overview of the Battalion's movements.

Do you want any information from his Service Papers when I get them?

Cheers

Richard

Hi Marc,

My Great Grandfather served in the 2nd Bn Hampshire Regiment in W Company.

His name was Percy Hendy no 331476.

He died on 1st July 1917 and is buried in Mendinghem Military Cemetary.

I am interested in any information on where his company was based, when he joined up and what the company was doing at the time of his death.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Martin

Hi Marc,

Sorry to bother you but did you manage to find out anything in your records about my Great Grandfather? :)

Thanks,

Martin

Martin,

I will be visiting the NA tomorrow to undertake some research so will respond then.

Marc

I wonder whether you have anything that would help me research my great great grandfather, whose details are:

Thomas Arthur Holt (could possibly be Arthur Thomas Holt) - known as Tom Holt

31496 Holt

David,

There is no specific mention of your Great Great Grandfather in either the regimental journals or regimental history and I could find no other references to him.

As you probably already know the Medal Roll lists him as L/Cpl 31496 Albert Thomas HOLT. I can confirm that he was in 2nd Bn, Hampshire Regiment and was awarded a British War and Victory Medal pair. This would indicate that he did not enter a theatre of war until after 1st January 1916. Unfortunately, his service record does not appear to have survived.

If he was in the drums of 2nd Hants then it is possible that he would have acted as a stretcher bearer during major actions.

If I find out anything further then I will let you know.

Marc

Have you by any chance any mention of the following chaps:

Sgt Arthur Cyphus 13208 12th Hants

Pte Frederick Vellender 13812 12th Hants

Clare,

Sgt 13208 Arthur CYPHUS entitled to a 15 Star trio.

Pte 13812 Frederick James VELLENDER was also entitled to a 15 Star trio. He was the son of George and Ellen Vellender, of Great Rissington, Bourton-on-the-Water, Glosestershire. Born Coldaston, Gloucestershire he enlisted at Bourton-on-Water, Gloucestershire initially as Pte 17174, Worcestershire Regiment.

His brother, Pte 23677 John Vellender, 8th Bn Gloucestershire Regiment died of wounds on the Somme on 4th July 1916. He is buried in Albert Communal Cemetery Extension.

Both men served in 12th (Service) Bn, Hampshire Regiment, 79th Brigade, 26th Division which was the last Division to be formed for the Third New Army (K3). The 12th Hants (30 officers and 883 other ranks) left its assembly area at Sutton Veney on September 20th 1915 and proceeded via Southampton for Le Havre where they arrived a day later. The date of entry into a theatre of war for both Sgt Cyphus and Pte Vellender corresponds with this date.

The 26th Division was later selected for transfer to Salonica and on 11th November 1915 the battalion entrained at Longeau for Marseilles (29 officers and 845 men). There the battalion embarked in the S.S. Canada along with the 79th Brigade head-quarters, sailing for Alexandria on 15th November. They reached Salonica on 25th November after ten days at sea.

Pte 13812 F. J. VELLENDER was killed in action during the Battle of Doiran on 24th April 1917. He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Doiran Memorial in Greece. I can provide further details of the 12th Hants movements during this battle if interested.

Marc

My Great Grandfather served in the 2nd Bn Hampshire Regiment in W Company.

His name was Percy Hendy no 331476.

He died on 1st July 1917 and is buried in Mendinghem Military Cemetary.

Martin,

The medal index card for Pte 331476 Percy HENDY indicates that he was entitled to a pair (British War & Victory Medals). Whilst there is no indication on either the MIC or Medal Roll the six figure long number (instigated when the TF units were re-numbered) indicates that he previously served with the 1/8th TF Bn (Princess Beatrice's IOW Rifles), Hampshire Regiment. His previous service number of 3432 is also noted so he first served overseas after 1st January 1916. At some stage during or after March 1917 he was posted to 'W' Company, 2nd Bn, Hampshire Regiment and would have retained his TF long number even though this was a regular battalion of the corps.

Soldiers Died in the Great War indicates that he was born in Sandown, I.O.W. and enlisted in Ryde, I.O.W. - which backs up the information detailed on his CWGC entry.

Unfortunately, I do not have the Regimental Journals for the period that he was wounded and thus I am unable to indicate whether he is included on the casualty lists. I assume that the letters you possess do not indicate precisely when Pte Hendy was wounded?

In terms of the battalions movements for this period, from May 30th to June 2nd the 2nd Hants were in support on the Arras front (Scape and Monchy) repairing and improving the line. The whole battalion was thus employed on the night of May 31st / June 1st - the enemys guns were active, partly in retaliation and a few casualties were sustained. The last spell in this sector brought about a dozen casualties for the battalion. The 2nd Hants spent most of June 1917 near Canda, resting and reorganizing. Other ranks were up to 960 by 1st July 1917. Reaching PROVEN on June 27th the battalion first went to Dead Man's Farm near Boesinghe, where it was employed in burying cable and getting a very indifferent reserve line, the X line, into a defensible condition. This line required almost complete reconstruction and much hard work.

If you would like the War Diary extracts for this period then please let me know.

I understand that the Isle of Wight Living History Group is currently working on transcribing the local papers for the Island so they may be able to provide some further information in due course.

I would very much like to see a scan of the letter you mention please. I will send you a PM with my e-mail address.

Marc

Marc,

Thank you very much for your hard work - I hadn't realised how long he had been enlisted. I would be grateful if you could send through the war diary entries. How do I get in contact with the other people doing the research of IOW papers?

I will send through the scanned letters on Monday as I have not got a scanner at home.

Once again many thanks.

Regards,

Martin

Wondered if you have any info on what the 1/4th Hamps were doing in mid to late May 1916.

I am interested in L/Cpl Roger Edward Peel who died 21 May 1916.

Jim,

The Medal Index Card and medal rolls for L/Cpl Roger Edward PEEL indicate a service number of 3443 and an entitlement to a 1915 Star trio. Soldiers Died in the Great War indicate that he enlisted in Winchester, Hampshire and was resident in Ontario, Canada.

After the Battle of Nasiryrah in July 1915 the 1/4th Hampshire's garrisoned Nasiryrah, but was greatly reduced in numbers by casualties in the battle and from sickness. In the middle of August the Battalion moved by boat from Nasiryrah to Amara, where it was engaged in refitting and training, and where it received drafts from other Hampshire territorial units.

Another substantial reinforcement arrived on 25th October 1915 when 5 officers and 82 men rejoined from sick leave in India. This date corresponds with the date of entry into a theatre of war recorded on the MIC for L/Cpl Peel.

Other than recording his death in the casualty lists, I can find no further mention of L/Cpl Peel in the Regimental Journal. There is also no specific mention of him in the regimental history.

As the movements of the 1/4th Hants is rather lengthy if you can send me a PM with your e-mail address then I can provide you with copy scans showing the battalions movements from January to June 1916.

Marc

Marc thanks for looking him up, it is much appreciated.

PMed you with email address.

Roger is of interest to me, as he is commemorated on a parish war memorial I'm trying to research. His name is included on the memorial within the church, but is one of three names missing from a second memorial outside the church. Haven't quite worked out why this would be the case.

Cheers

Jim

Marc,

Thank you very much for your hard work - I hadn't realised how long he had been enlisted. I would be grateful if you could send through the war diary entries. How do I get in contact with the other people doing the research of IOW papers?

I will send through the scanned letters on Monday as I have not got a scanner at home.

Once again many thanks.

Regards,

Martin

Marc,

Just one further question - do you have or know where to find a map that would show where "Dead Man's Farm near Boesinghe" would be.

Now that I have the information you sent me I would like to go to Belguim and visit his grave and see the area where he was killed.

Thanks,

Martin

Just one further question - do you have or know where to find a map that would show where "Dead Man's Farm near Boesinghe" would be.

Martin,

Unfortunately I am having difficulty running my version of the trench map archive CD with Windows XP so cannot send you a copy from this.

If you place a post in the photo and document request section then someone should be able to oblige.

I will however send you a scan of its location on a modern day map together with the war diary entries.

Marc