Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hampshire Regiment

Marc Thompson

Regimental history includes summary level battalion histories, honours and awards, roll of honour (Regular Battalions Officers only), etc.

I also have the history of the Isle of Wight Rifles (1/8th TF Battalion), Hampshire Regiment and History of the Hampshire Territorial Force Association 1914-1919 which includes coverage of all Hampshire Territorial Battalions, Hampshire Yeomanry, Wessex Brigade RFA, Wessex RGA, Cyclists, Field Ambulance, Divisional Ammunition Columns, etc.

Lookups in the Hampshire Regimental Journal for circa 1914-1918 are also possible. Unfortunately, these are not complete nor indexed so locating information may be a bit hit and miss until I have completed a database of the entries.

Also available are the DCM citations 1914-20 for the Hampshire Regiment.

Lookups in the Roll of Honour for Portsmouth can also be done. This is taken from the book 'Portsmouth and the Great War'.

Please let me know if you need details on any of this information.

If you are researching a soldier of this regiment, or can supply me with details of men who served with the Hampshire's, including photographs or other material, then please do get in touch.

Marc

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Ian Bowbrick

Hi Marc,

Does the book have anything on the 1st Infantry Labour Company Hampshire Regt?

I am interested to know the date of this Coys formation.

Many thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Unfortunately, the regimental history makes no mention of this coy. However, there are a couple of other sources that I have currently loaned out to people which may shed some light. I will investigate and let you know what I can find.

Regards

Marc

• 3 months later...

Mark,

Thank you for the offer of information. I am researching our local memorial and I have two names who were in the Hampshires. The first was Private 12179 Oliver Houghton in the 11th Battalion. KIA September 5th 1917.

The second is L/Corporal 2201 Melville Goding Woodrow. Died in Mesopotamia on 27th June 1916.

Any information about unit actions and movements on or around these dates would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Alec

Alec,

Some initial details for Private Houghton...

Private 12179, Oliver HOUGHTON

Born: Arrow, Warwick

Enlisted: Birmingham

Residence: Droitwich, Worcester

KIA Tuesday 5th September 1916

Formerly 6903, Royal Warwickshire Regiment

11th (Service) Battalion (Pioneers), Hampshire Regiment, 16th (Irish) Division.Bn formed at Winchester in Sep.1914 and went to Dublin as army troops attached to 16th Division. Converted to pioneers in Dec.1914 and to France with division (arrived Le Harve) in Dec.1915.

1916 Somme - 11th (Service) Battalion (Pioneers):

Arrived Longueau from Auchel (28/08) and from there marched to Daours. To Sailly-le-Sec (31/08), Citadel Camp (01/09). Worked on communication trenches near front line, roads, carrying work at Chimpanzee Trench. To Bernafay Wood (05/09) - improving and digging new trenches and erecting shelters. Took over defences at Guillemont (07/09).

Further information to follow shortly for both men.

Regards

Marc

Alec,

There is not a great deal more on the activites of the 11th Bn in the official history. From my experience pioneer bn's seem to get largely overlooked in regimental histories. However, if you can wait until the weekend I will send you a transcript of the War Diary for the period you are interested in.

Reference L/Cpl 2201 Melville Godding WOODROW

1/4th T.F. Bn, Hampshire Regiment,

Born: Wimborne, Dorset

Enlisted: Winchester, Hampshire

Residence: Droitwich, Worcestershire

Died Thursday, 27th July 1916 Age 28

Son of Robert Martin Woodrow and Mary Anne Woodrow of St Nicholas Hse, Omberseley Rd, Droitwich

Buried: Basra War Cemetery

1/4th Battalion (Winchester) went to India in October 1914, as part of the original 1st Wessex Division. Stationed first at Poona and then at Quetta. Was in the first batch of reinforcements for Mesopotamia (their first destination being Basra, by way of Karachi) and was itself reinforced as need arose from practically all the Hampshire battalions quartered in India.

I can only send you a general account of the battalions movements around the summer of 1916 which I will include with the War Diary extracts for the 11th mentioned above. However, it is likely that L/Cpl Woodrow died from sickness. For information, there was even an outbreak of cholera in May 1916 that cost the battalion several lives.

Regards

Marc

Hi Marc

I'm reseraching my local war memorial and have a man in the 1/8 Hampshires. 331104 Rifleman Claude Lewis Fielder DOW 20.4.17 aged 23, buried in Deir El Belah War Cemetery, Israel. Could you tell me the Battalion's whereabouts/movements around this time?

Many thanks

MARK

Alec,

As promised relevant War Diary extracts for the 11th Hampshires during the first few days of September 1916. Note reference to the brilliantly named Major Hazard...

04/09/1916 Location: CITADEL

Ordered to be ready to move at once to the CRATERS. Bn stood by at half an hours notice and everything was packed up. At 1930 orders were received by telephone that we should not be required to move that night.

05/09/1916 Location: CITADEL

Bn paraded at 1330 and moved to the CRATERS. Preparations were made to bivouac but further orders were received that Bn was to move to BERNAFAY WOOD. C coy to report to HQ 49th Inf Bde at BRIQUETERIE for work. This Coy moved off at 9pm. At 11pm HQ and B & D moved to BERNAFAY WOOD and spent night in various shell holes and sections of trenches. Very wet and muddy and roads almost impassable. A Coy employed as carrying party for the 48th Bde.

06/09/1916 Location: BERNAFAY WOOD

A, B, & D Coys & HQ spent day in wood. Then employed in improving trenches & erecting shelters. West of wood surrounded by 18 pdrs such as they kept up continuous firing the whole time, the noise was trying. A few shells were fired into the wood & one man was killed and one wounded. C Coy continued work on the road in 4 D. They worked 8 hours during the day and had no casualties.

At night A, B & D Coys had orders to dig a new track from Sunken Road 13.C.19 to the railway. They had orders to get in touch with the 7th Div on their right. A Coy was on the right flank & Major HAZARD MC and Lt CADE went out to reconnoitre. They failed to find the troops on their right and in their endeavour ran into an enemy patrol. Hazard challenged them and they replied 'we are the other platoon'. Hazard and Cade advanced and the patrol immediately opened fire. Lt Cade was killed outright and Major Hazard wounded in the thigh. He remained in a shell hole until found by Cpl SNELLING A Coy. Cpl Snelling went back to the Coy to fetch assistance. Capt STACK and Capt THYNE went back with him and managed to bring Major Hazard back. Major Hazard had been in the shell hole for an hour and a half and made repeated attempts to try to recover Lt Cade?s body but had to abandon the attempt. Meanwhile A coy had been waiting the return of their senior officers before continuing work. Lt CHUBB however seeing that time was getting on took the initiative and taped out the trench himself for his Coy to work. The other two Coys followed his example and proceeded to dig trenches. Lt PAYNTER C Coy was wounded by H.E. during the day and there were 9 OR casualties.

Regards

Marc

Mark,

Reference Rifleman 331104 Claude Lewis Fielder:

Born: Swanwick, Hants

Enlisted: Southampton

Residence: Swanwick, Hants

PRO Medal Index Card:

Claude Lewis Fielder

Private 331104

Hampshire Regiment

VM BWM Roll G/103B10 Page 1030 *

Prefix was either G or C (hard to tell)

No opportunity to look up the medal roll for him.

I have a large amount of detail concerning the movement of the 1/8th Isle of Wight Rifles at this time which I will send you off forum as it is quite lengthy.

Regards

Marc

• 6 months later...

Trooper,

That's a fair bit of information that you have asked for. Can you be a bit more specific?

Marc

• 2 months later...

Marc:

Would you have anything at all on a 7543 Pte R. Partland 1st Battalion Hampshires? He was KIA 6 July 1915 and now buried at Talana Farm Cemetary (I know that much)

Thanks...

ArmyOfficer,

Pte 7543 Richard PARTLAND

1st Battalion, Hampshire Regiment, 11th Brigade, 4th Division

Killed in Action on 6th July 1915 whilst in positions at the Boezinge Canal site in the northern part of the Ypres Salient.

Buried: Grave reference II. D. 18. Talana Farm Cemetery

Born: Boyle, County Roscommon, Ireland

Enlisted: Winchester, Hampshire

Residence: Petersfield, Hampshire

As far as I can ascertain Richard was the son of Thomas (a Coachman) and Mary An Partland of 144 North (Petersfield). Based on the 1901 Census he had 3 brothers and 2 sisters: John J., Michael E., Herbert J., Mary J., and Margaret A.

On 6 July 1915 the 1st Battalion, Rifle Brigade of the 11th Brigade attacked the German line. In several places they managed to penetrate into German positions. The 1st Hampshire's were initially across the canal, in reserve. To help deal with German counter-attacks the Hampshire's bombing squad was sent up, while C and D Companies 'stood to' in readiness. The bombers had a hard time, only five out of the 28 escaping unhurt, but they did help to retain the captured line. In the 4 days that this small but successful operation would last, hundreds of soldiers, on both sides, fell. The course of the front line hardly changed, except that the opposing trenches moved closer together.

One of the Hampshire's killed on the 6 July was L/Cpl 6946 William BANFIELD. 85 years later his spoon would be unearthed by The Diggers. The events featured in a BBC Meet The Ancestors Programme "The Forgotten Battlefield'. Aurel Sercu is a member of The Diggers and a regular contributor to this Forum. I'm sure that he will be able to elaborate further if you are interested.

I will be at Talana Farm Cemetery next Wednesday and can take a digital photograph of Pte Partland's headstone if interested?

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

The headstone for Pte 7543 Richard PARTLAND at Talana Farm.

Marc: Thanks so much for the information and picture!

Just got the 1914 Star in the mail on Monday; it came with a photo copy of the war diary for 3-6 July 1915. I think Pte Partland was in one of the two reserve companies but can't yet confirm; they listed him as being killed either "by shellfire or during one of the German counter attacks". Nonetheless, having both the history and photo make having the medal pretty special...especially since Pte Partland never got the chance to wear it.

I'm going up to Ypres within the next couple weeks; I'm going to bring the medal with me and get a photo of his headstone. I'm also going to walk the area around Hull Farm and the approaches to International Trench.

Thanks again

• 1 month later...
:) Marc could you please give me any more info' on Prvt Richard Bert Quew serv 19027 of the 15th Hampshire Yeomanry died 4/5/1915 cemetery Savona Memorial Thanx

Quew,

Welcome to the forum. Interesting one this.

Bert Richard Quew was the son of James Thomas and Louisa Ann Quew, of 35, St. Vincent Rd., Southsea, Portsmouth, Hampshire. Soldiers Died in the Great War indicates that he was born and enlisted in Portsmouth.

The online CWGC database entry for Pte 19027, Quew, shows a date of death of 4th May 1915. I am almost certain that this is a typo and should read 4th May 1917. Richard was 18 years of age at the time of his death.

On 4 May 1917, the Hired Transport "Transylvania", proceeding to Salonica with reinforcements, was sunk by torpedo off Cape Vado, a few kilometres south of Savona, with the loss of more than 400 lives. The bodies recovered at Savona were buried two days later, from the Hospital of San Paulo, in a special plot in the town cemetery. Others are buried elsewhere in Italy, France, Monaco and Spain. SAVONA TOWN CEMETERY contains 85 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, all but two of them casualties of the "Transylvania". Within the cemetery is the SAVONA MEMORIAL, which commemorates a further 275 casualties who died when the "Transylvania" went down, but whose graves are not known. Richard Bert Quew is one of the 275 names on the memorial.

In terms of the unit designation; the 1/1st Hampshire Yeomanry were amalgamated with the 15th (Service) Battalion (2nd Portsmouth), Hampshire Regiment on 27th September 1917 and became the 15th (Hampshire Yeomanry) Battalion. Why is this later unit shown on CWGC for Pte Quew instead of 15th (Service) Bn, given that the amalgamation took place after Pte Quew died? The most likely scenario is that Pte Quew was initially reported as 'Missing' and was not 'for official purposes assumed killed on 4 May 1917' until several months later by which time the unit had changed its designation.

As a reinforcement to Salonica Pte Quew may have been destined to join the 10th (Service) Bn or 12th (Service) Bn of the Hampshire Regiment.

Regards

Marc

Hi Marc,

I wonder whether you have anything that would help me research my great great grandfather, whose details are:

Thomas Arthur Holt (could possibly be Arthur Thomas Holt) - known as Tom Holt

31496 Holt

who was in the Hampshire Regiment between 1916 and the end of the war, in the Ypres area over 1917-1918. He survived the War but was injured and sent back to a field hospital near Boulogne around May 1918.

I am pretty sure he was in

29th Division, 88th Brigade (Hampshires 2nd Batt, Headquarters, drums platoon or company).

If you have anything on him or the Drums Platoon in general I'd be interested.

Thanks very much,

David

Marc,

Further to my last, I checked at the PRO and found his medal records, which list him as Albert Thomas Holt, so he might come up as Albert, Thomas or Tom.

Best regards,

David

:) Thank you very much Marc. The info confirms some of what we were told, but also adds a little more insight too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Marc,

My Great Grandfather served in the 2nd Bn Hampshire Regiment in W Company.

His name was Percy Hendy no 331476.

He died on 1st July 1917 and is buried in Mendinghem Military Cemetary.

I am interested in any information on where his company was based, when he joined up and what the company was doing at the time of his death.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Martin